Half Way through Personal Training School - Need Your Input!

DenverMom33
on 7/22/11 6:12 am - Arvada, CO
Hey All, I haven't posted here in a while, but I'm hoping I can get everyone's input and help.  I had Lap-Band in Feb. of 2010 and have lost about 110 pounds, I feel great and am loving life.
I started a six month course to become a personal trainer and my goal it to help fellow bariatric patients (like myself) with their physical goals. 
What I want from you all is input on if you would use a personal trainer to help reach your goal.  I felt that although I got tons of help from my surgeon's office about food and I LOVE them, I didn't feel I got much advice on how to exercise.  
Would it be worth it to you to have the help?  And, would you rather have someone who would come ot your house or would you want to go to a gym for help? 
Thanks all! 
barbara314
on 7/22/11 7:05 am
I'm 5-1/2 months post-op, and I got a personal trainer 2 months ago.  One of the things I like about her is, although she didn't know too much about WLS, she's very good about changing things up to suit my situation (not just a Lap Band-er, but knee, back & neck problems).

As the weight has been coming off, I knew I needed to kick it up a notch, and the trainer was just the ticket.  For me, I prefer going the gym for training.  This way we have all the equipment necessary for lots of variety which I would never get at home.

Hope this helps!  Good luck!!! 
~ Barbara 

Jennifer R.
on 7/22/11 9:34 am - Fullerton, CA
Good for you on your success!! I've been banded almost 2 years. I lost 60 lbs quite quickly with no exercise and then plateaued for 9 months (completely on me!). I knew that if this was going to work, I needed to change my lifestyle and I joined a gym and signed up for 6 sessions of personal training the first day. My original thought was that they would show me how to use the machines and then I'd be on my own. Well I then signed up for 54 sessions and have since re-signed for 54 more. The trainer has changed my life and provided a new sense of accountability for me.

If you would have asked me prior to training if I wanted an at-home trainer, I would have said yes. Since training at Gold's gym, I have become friends with many trainers and I continue to have strangers cheering me on and telling me what a great job I'm doing. I know that's not everyone's experience but it certainly has been the one of the best things I've ever done for myself and my confidence has improved tremendously!

The challenges I face that I think it would be great to have someone knowledgeable about WLS training me are the excess skin as I lose weight and how to reign that in :) Also, just the notion that WLS is the easy way out. My first trainer would get angry when we talked about surgery because he said we could have gotten that 60 lbs off with training. Sure, that may be true but I'm not so sure I could have kept it off. Most of us have been heavy most of our lives and for me, I was inactive for many years. Having a trainer that would start slow but still push me is important. I'm doing things now that I never thought I could do...and I love to exercise now!! Good luck with your certification :)
Jennifer

Courage is not always a lion's roar. Sometimes, it is a small voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Diet Plans

"When you change the way you see things, the things you see will change."

Mahana
on 7/22/11 12:18 pm - AZ
I think that's AWESOME!! I used to be a personal trainer at Gold's gym when I was 20. And it's been a goal of mine to get re-certified ever since. Being post-op I see that there is a tremendous need for post-op trainers. I think you be very successful at this and you can put your own before and after pitcures on your business cards. people vary..some want to go to the gym..some want to do it out of their homes. But it would be wise for you for work out something with your surgeon's office to advertise there and give some kind of discount. You'll do GREAT!
-The wife of Johnny Lingo-    
DenverMom33
on 7/22/11 1:23 pm - Arvada, CO
Thanks for the input guys!  I VERY excited about where my life is going now and can't wait to start training people.  I won't get certified till November, but I know that exercise is what has pushed me past the 100 pound mark within the first two years of having Lap-Band surgery.

Most Active