Update about DH lap-band

Jessica Houston
on 7/25/11 4:11 am - Wichita, KS
I asked yestereday about my DH's symptoms... He call the Dr yesterday afternoon, and today when I went in to see the surgeon for my postop visit he showed me the films from DH's Upper GI... HE DEFINATELY HAS A SLIPPED BAND!!! I will try and scan the copy he gave me and post it here later! So the plan for now (since he is out of town on business) I made an appointment with a surgeon in Alabama for 3pm. Our surgeon said if his symptoms got worse or did not improve in one week he had to come home and we would have to evaluate whether or not he needed to get the band taken out. The bad part (or good part depending on how you look at it) is he has lost enough weight that he would not qualify for a revision!
HW: 245lbs SW:232lbs; CW: 206.2lbs;  GW:125lbs  Height 5ft 2in 

MARIA F.
on 7/25/11 4:40 am - Athens, GA

Just wondering how long your husband had his band???

Also he may qualify for a revision due to the cir****tances. If they say no, appeal it.

FormerlyFluffy.com

(deactivated member)
on 7/25/11 4:51 am
not for nothing - but slips "can" be repaired with an unfill & time.

i speak from having 2 & no surgical correction needed.
in fact my last unfill is still all the restriction i need.

removal is not always necessary.

Kate -True Brit
on 7/25/11 5:25 am - UK
There are several people on here who have had slips which were sorted out by a temporary unfill. Fingers crossed your DH is one of them!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Jessica Houston
on 7/25/11 5:42 am - Wichita, KS
Maria, he is 19 months out but has been having problems with the gurgling for about 3 months but he kept telling it wasn't anything... I should have trusted my gut & made him go in then! I understand that it may correct itself after the unfill, however the surgeon said it was one of the worst slips he had ever seen...

Plus if he does need it taken out, we will be starting over with a whole new surgeon! Ours is moving next week!

Duck_Girl
on 7/25/11 7:45 am
It depends on your insurance but...

I was approved for a revision due to a slip when I was almost to goal.. It's quite possible he could get approved.

Jessica Houston
on 7/25/11 1:01 pm - Wichita, KS
Thanks for the info Duck Girl! I will check with our insurance!

May I ask what kind of revision you had?

dianeg49
on 7/25/11 5:51 pm
Glad to hear he called the Dr. Sorry to hear the news of a slip. It makes it all the more nerve wrecking knowing our dr. is leaving in a week. I am sure tfinding a new surgeon will not be as bad as what it feels like at the moment. Keep me posted.
Dianeg49            
Jessica Houston
on 7/26/11 4:06 am - Wichita, KS
Thanks Diane!  The problem is not necessarily finding a new Dr, but that Dr V recommended for us specifically (because of DH complications and my specific surgery) to go to Topeka to follow up.  He said that the other LapBand docs here in Wichita would basically look @ the images of DH's upper GI & would give in & take the band out (plus our insurance does not cover them).  He said if anybody could salvage DH's band it would be the group in Topeka.  I called yesterday just to set things in motion, and (of course) the bariatric nurse was out of town until this coming Friday.  So I left a message with my info and asked her to give me a call so we could get started in case we have to pursue something further with DH's band.

Thanks for the concern!!!

Most Active