Help!! I am scared to sleep on my side!!!!

SpikyP L.
on 9/2/11 3:36 am - NM
I was banded 3 weeks ago this past Tuesday, and I am scared to sleep on my side cuz I don't know if the band will move, slip, or other!!! I am tired of laying on my back, I have always slept on my side.  This week I tried turning, but I could not stay because I was afraid I might move something inside.....,my nurse said it was ok and no problem to sleep on my side, but does anyone out there know for sure.....is it ok and nothing will happen???  Also, I am going boating, leaving tonight, what if there are waves in the lake, will anything move inside, can I get hurt. I don't plan on going fast, it would only be like going over speed bumps on the road.  Am I safe to do these things???  I assume it may be ok if they tell you to start exercising, but I guess I need to hear it from experienced people.  Thanks you all!! PL
sknd34
on 9/2/11 4:38 am - West Fargo, ND
PL,
You will be fine. It is ok to sleep on your side. I was sleeping on my stomach at 2 weeks. No troubles at all. It is also ok to go boating. I wouldn't suggest going skiing or tubing yet, but riding in a boat is just fine.  Have fun and enjoy life!!!
Steph
SpikyP L.
on 9/2/11 5:24 am - NM
Steph, thank you for your response.  It is great to hear from someone else about this.  I have been really afraid, and it helps to hear from you.  PL
MovingGYG
on 9/2/11 6:14 am - Santa Fe, NM
I sleep on my side and I have had no problems; it took me several weeks after banding to want to sleep on my side again.  If the band was so fragile that you could not do "normal" activities then I don't think that it would be approved for such a broad spectrum of people having WLS.  Do what feels comfortable to you; everyone is different.  Enjoy your new "tool" and get comfortable with it.  The best is yet to be...

Welcome to the band!

kathkeb
on 9/2/11 10:37 am
Your band is pretty deep in there -- around your stomach -- and probably insulated by a fair amount of belly fat if you are like I was (LOL -- don't mean to hurt your feelings).

Your port is stitched to your muscle --- that thing is not going anywhere.

Sleep however you feel comfortable
Have fun on the boat --- lots and lots of water to drink throughout the day
Walking, aerobic exercise is fine

At that stage my 'restrictions' were
1.  no heavy lifting (nothing over about 10 pounds until 6 weeks out
2.  no getting into water --- I could shower, but no immersing myself in water to protect my scars and let them heal without risking infection
3.  no abdominal exercises (crunches, etc)

Have fun this weekend!!!!!

PS -- I told my husband that I was not allowed to do housework or laundry for 6 months -- LOL
he caught on pretty quickly that I am a shameless liar.
Kath

dianeg49
on 9/2/11 5:05 pm
PL,
I went boating two weeks after my surgery. I had a lot of fun. My stomach muscles were sore getting in and out of the boat. Like Kath said drink lots of water. Pack a couple of protein shakes in the cooler.Have a great weekend!
Dianeg49            
Laurena
on 9/3/11 3:38 am, edited 9/3/11 3:45 am - Louisville, KY
Hi...Believe it or not ever since I had surgery I sleep with a pillow under my stomack,it feels good and I got used to it.I sleep on my side and on my stomack,but I usely wake up in the morning with my pillow on the floor
Have a great weekend!

Most Active