Help! I'm out of control!

Deena S.
on 9/3/11 9:16 am - Odessa, TX
This month has been the worst ever.  My nephew was killed in an accident, then a close friend died unexpectedly.  I have been stress eating like nobody's business.  I've gained 3 pounds and I feel bloated and miserable.  Any suggestions to help get me back on track?  I'm 5 months out and I've lost 42 pounds.  I don't want to undo all I've accomplished.  Yet I still keep stuffing my face.  I've even thrown up twice.  Haven't done that since April.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Deena

Deena
Top weight 240 pounds
Lap band surgery March 21st, 2011
Start weight 201
Weight on July 30th-162 pounds
Goal weight 125-I'm half way there!

Hislady
on 9/3/11 9:37 am - Vancouver, WA
Deep breathe! You realize you are grief eating so go back to like when you first started and journal and plan your meals. Try to get back to that begining mentality. Remember your eating isn't going to do a thing for your grief, only time will help that so use that energy to regroup. Good luck!
Iam_with_the_Band
on 9/3/11 8:04 pm
I'm so sorry for your losses.  It's very difficult to deal with the loss of loved ones.

I suggest now that you realize what you're doing - taking a step back and returning to the rules.  My fear for you wouldn't be gaining the weight, as much as damaging your tummy and  your band.  It's really not good for you to throw up and not good to stuff that pouch.  It can cause serious problems that may result in losing your band all together.

Like Hislady says - return to the beginning.  Journal if that helps you stay accountable and return to the rules.   You can do it.

Also, if you can - find a support group for grief recovery or a good friend who understands your sadness.

Good Luck!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

vlp1968
on 9/3/11 8:55 pm
How about some excersise? It's a great stress reliever,and of course, will help with weight loss. Also, I have found there is something about excersise that helps with food choices. I am also wondering if a little therapy would help you in the grieving process. Sorry about your losses and hang in there.
Anne O.
on 9/3/11 11:12 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16
The stress eating is a habit and a comfort.  You won't be able to change that habit if you don't replace it with a good habit.  I'd suggest whenever you feel like stress eating, find something else to replace it with.  Take a walk, read a book, talk to someone, listen to music, clean, make something, etc.  If you've got a moment, read this:

http://zenhabits.net/will/

This has been a big help for me. 

Anne 
314/252/175
pre-op/current/goal
5'6"

MurphysMom
on 9/4/11 5:01 am - CA

Thanks for sharing that website.  It has great ideas!
  One day at a time, and one meal at a time, and I WILL reach my goal!  
CScott0925
on 9/4/11 11:20 am
Most of us are emotional eaters, so try talking a walk or journaling to move through your grief. Stop focusing on what is wrong and look at what is right. You ave lost 42 and only aimed 3. Make the decision to eat small healthy meals and do not let the lives lost be in vain while you stop doing the right thing for you.

Good Luck,
Carrie

MARIA F.
on 9/4/11 4:12 pm - Athens, GA

Hugs! Sorry for your losses. :-(

FormerlyFluffy.com

JodiBoda
on 9/5/11 12:14 pm - Butler, PA
I am so sorry for your losses.  A lot of great suggestions have already been made, but I think the most important one is to find a support group or therapist to help you through the emotional issues.  Please be gentle with yourself and your grief. 

Jodi

"Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light."  ~ Helen Keller

Most Active