Help, possible slipped band??

Nan1109
on 9/7/11 10:30 pm
VSG on 01/25/18 with
 I haven't posted in quiet a while but here goes:  Has anyone here had a slipped band? I'm almost 4 years out and the last few months I've been having more problems than ever before. I've gone through times over the years where I've been too tight, had some fluid removed and then was fine. This time it seems like nothing works. I burp constantly, have pain in my chest (right between my breasts), and don't eat much. I take Tums, gas-x, and Zantac constantly. (I'm allergic to Prilosec, Nexium, Prevacid, and the stronger antacids) Sometimes I pb when I eat,, sometimes food stays down. Liquid stays down okay. I had a small unfill last week and another today, and feel no relief. I'm planning to call my dr's office tomorrow and probably go back for more unfill, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe I have a slipped band. From things I've read though, a slipped band is painful, or am I wrong? I'm hoping it's not a slipped band, but that I'm just too tight and need more taken out, It's really frustrating cause for the first few years I had no problems and now this. Does anyone have any ideas or insights for me?

vlp1968
on 9/7/11 11:11 pm
Sorry you are having trouble. Since things stay down sometimes I don't think you have a slipped band. My doc. said if the band slips suddenly you can't keep anything down. Hope you feel better soon.
Lisa O.
on 9/8/11 2:01 am - Snoqualmie, WA
When's the last time you had an upper GI to check your band.  I have one annually just for peace of mind.

I would think that your surgeon would want to check band placement.  It might also be time for an Endoscopy to check for ulcers or gastritis, etc.

You definately should not be experiencing daily heartburn and reflux.  On occasion, maybe but not daily.  I have had a couple of unfills over time to relieve irritation that I caused from eating certain foods, i.e. to much caffeine, acidic foods like tomato sauce, chocolate and spicy foods, etc.  But if you've already had a slight unfill you may have a more serious condition.  Please get it checked out.  The first time I irritated my esophagus and band my surgeon made me get a total unfill for 2 weeks and I had to take a course of Previcid.  After that I was fine.  If you're truly allergic to the meds that will actually heal, not just cover reflux then your surgeon might be able to help you find a perscription that will work.  Tums won't do it!

I've never had a slip but some say that it hurts others say they just had sudden tightness where they can't even take in liquids but no pain. 

Take care and please keep us posted.

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

tripmom02
on 9/8/11 2:20 am - NJ
 I agree with everything that Lisa said! If you are still feeling bad even after an unfill, make them give you an Upper GI! I had all the same symptoms with my slipped band but did not have constant pain until it turned into an emergency situation, please don't wait for that to happen! 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

shellqueen
on 9/8/11 4:52 am - New Brighton, MN
Good luck and I wish you well! K
Jean M.
on 9/8/11 5:39 am
Revision on 08/16/12
The symptoms you describe sound familiar from when my band slipped. A complete unfill and 6-week rest period fixed it. Please follow the other posters' advice and ask your surgeon to do an upper GI study to check your band's position. The longer you leave this kind of problem, the harder it is to fix it.

Good luck!

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Michelle F.
on 9/8/11 6:11 am
When I had my first band slip, there were days I was wide open and could eat everything and anything and then there were days that I would throw up water.  I had an upper GI and it showed a slip.  They did a complete unfill for 4 weeks, did another Upper GI and showed the stomach went back into place.  They did a small fill and within 2 months I couldn't keep anything down, everything was coming back up.  Another Upper GI and it showed another band slip, this one more serious than the first.  That's when I decided to revise.

Good luck, don't wait to call your doctor and don't let them give you the runaround.  Demand an Upper GI immediately to see what's going on inside there.
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

JULIA_D
on 9/8/11 10:53 am
Michelle what did you revise to?
Michelle F.
on 9/9/11 10:54 am
Julia, I revised to the sleeve March 1st of this year.  I lost 65 in 6 since then and I'm 2 pounds under goal. I finally feel healthy and I can finally eat regular healthy food and not throw it up.  It has been a miracle for me.
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

Zee Starrlite
on 9/9/11 3:17 pm
Wowza!!!!  Michelle, you look so beautiful!!! 

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active