surgery on monday:) i want to know your story!

thiknena19
on 9/16/11 12:24 am - bronx, NY
so i have heard different stories mostly the good ones, not trying to be scared or anything just want to know what to expect! this liquid diet sucks pretty bad lol if this is the worst part ill be ok!!!
now im a healthy(no medical problems) 24 yr old and been obese all my life, i started at 365 and thats when i had to do something about this i  got down to 318 but have gain 10 back :( i blame birth control!!! i am now 328 and have decided to go in for the lap band. i am so excited!! i know its going to be a struggle but im ready (bottle of water in hand and gym membership uptodate lol and a great attitude) 
Jordiesmama69
on 9/16/11 12:53 am - Roscoe, IL
Best of luck as you start your journey!
steelerfan1
on 9/16/11 1:02 am

Hi there,

First off good luck on you surgery Monday !!! As soon as you get back to your room start walking , walk till you are tired of walking. I swear that is what saved me from having gas pains. I walked so much the first week :o)

Just always keep in mind that the band dont help with the emotional eating, head hunger and all that stuff.  I wi**** would because it sure would be easier to deal with but that is something we still have to work on .  No matter what kind of restriction you get you can and will eat around the band if you want to . This is the hardest to deal with . I have been struggling with this for seven weeks now and let me tell you its no fun, frustrating and depressing .

Just keep in mind you will go through stalls where you might not lose any weight for a week up to months . Dont get frustrated I know easier said then done though lol. 

Big thing to remember and we see so many posts on this one.  The first six weeks is about healing dont worry about losing weight during this time .  Concentrate on healing first and for-most :o) .  You might even gain weight during this time. I put on seven pounds in three weeks but it will come back off when you start solids.  No Exercise but walking the first six weeks. !!!

The band is the slowest and to be honest its just like it was before we got the surgery .It's a diet and exercise. The band will help with portion control and help you stay fuller for a good three hrs sometimes more.   Nothing more nothing less.  You will need to make the changes in food and exercise :o)

I wish you the best :o)  And Monday will be here before you know it . Make sure you are stocked up on things for a couple of days before your surgery :o)  SF pudding, SF Jello, broth, protein shakes, heating pad if you need it .

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

MARIA F.
on 9/16/11 9:00 am - Athens, GA

Well you asked for it. This is my story:

Got banded 11-09. Surgery uneventful. Quick recovery. Started getting fills...............and getting fills.............and getting fills...............16 fills later..........NO RESTRICTION.

This is something most Drs. do not tell you in advance..........that some patients NEVER reach restriction. One of the regulars on the band forum was told by the new Dr. that she was seeing that 20% never reach restriction.

So keep that in mind.It's a crap shoot with the band. How much of a gambler are you???

FormerlyFluffy.com

Lisaizme
on 9/16/11 10:16 am - TX
Banded 03/09/09.

Rough recovery as the NP would only prescribe Darvocet (since has been taken off market).  I needed something on the level of Vicoden.. not glorified Tylenol.

But once past the first 3 weeks, I was good to go.  Came out of surgery with 3cc's and have only had to struggle with hunger a little bit a week or so before my first fill. 

I can eat almost anything (there are a few things that are challenging now..but won't go into that here), but in small quantities.  I try to follow the guidelines of 3oz of protein and 1/2 cup of veggies.. eating lean, green & clean and do achieve that most of the time.  I also drink 64 PLUS ounces of low calorie fluid daily.

I'm in the gym 5 or 6 days a week... but I started by walking.  I walked in my neighborhood for the first 7 months after banding. I only hit the gym after losing the first 100 lbs.  Nothing magic about 100lbs, it just took till that time to feel confident enough to do the gym (that and rain).

I don't look for the band to restrict my eating, but to reduce my appetite.  And it does reduce my physical appetite.  Mental hunger and just wanting to chew.. that is still a battle.

At 2.5 years post banding, I've been overfilled one time, a slight unfill fixed it.  No other issues.  I've lost 220 lbs so far and am still losing, but very very slowly now.  Which is to be expected.. the closer to goal, the slower the loss.

Good luck with your surgery!

Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Dedi
on 9/16/11 11:35 am
REALIZE Band on 09/03/09 with
I got the realize band just over 2 yrs ago.  I was pretty much at my goal within the year.  (At my year check my doctor said I had lost 100% of my excess weight.  Unlike some people I had very few problems (one overfill, but was quickly fixed) after I lost most of my weight my port started to move a bit, but my plastic surgeon corrected it when he did my tummy tuck a few wks ago.

I am very happy with my choice of getting banded and frankly it is all about what you are comfortable with.  Everyone will have a different story.

Good luck on Monday and welcome to the club.

Dedi

Dedi

260/243/128.8/130

DrTina
on 9/17/11 4:19 pm, edited 9/17/11 4:20 am - Beaverton, OR
I have had my band since 2008. I have lost 143 pounds and have been at goal since Winter. I wouldn't change a thing. If you want to do a lot of reading I have blogged the whole time-the good the bad the ugly and the stupendous :)

http://tinasweight-lossjourney.blogspot.com/

Good luck with your!!

xxxooo
(deactivated member)
on 9/18/11 2:05 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Have a safe and uneventful surgery and recovery.

Wendybrum
on 9/18/11 1:31 pm - Oceanside, NY
 Good Luck to you.
17 mo out 80 lbs gone and so far so good.
Walk a lot after surgery. Then walk some more. 
Don't get discouraged cause all of our journeys are different.
Please let us know how your doing.
Wendy

Most Active