Cardio or Weights?

Nikki C.
on 2/8/12 4:48 am - Gaithersburg, MD
Ok, I'm just throwing this out there for opinions, feedback and your "own" best practices in the exercise area.  This particular subject, I realize after doing some general research, is certainly an ongoing continual debate with really no right or wrong or definitive answer.

Initially my weight loss was done with diet only and clearly that only gets you so far.  When I started working out I did mainly focus on cardio and notice a drop.  Recently since the new year I have been doing more weight lifting and the scale isn't moving so much but I was not concerned.

I went to see my PCP yesterday and we were discussing my weight loss, my concerns and wanting her onboard as documenting skin issues for possible insurance coverage of extra skin down the road and I casually mentioned that I as lifted weights and she stopped me right there! 

She asked, why are you lifting weight? And I gave the same old answer that well.....muscle burns more than fat and "everyone" always says you have to do both to get results and you burn more calories after a weight lifting workout than you do a cardio workout etc and so on...the things i've heard over and over forever. 

Then she proceeded to say, you aren't a body builder and you don't want to build muscle, so you don't need to lift weights.  You need to focus on cardio.  Cardio will burn the fat you need to burn to lose the weight and you are still using your muscles to do those exercises which will build enough muscle NOT to add muscle weight or bulk up.  She said switching up the cardio routines and machines will give enough variation for the weight loss and toning without lifting.  

She also used the example of weight lifting and building muscle that if that routine is not kept up and the muscle mass is lost whatever bulked up will just go back to flab vs if I am actually burning the fat completely off in those areas by doing cardio. She followed it up by saying if you want to use weights for any strength training I recommend doing it for your core only.

My goal is to burn as much fat and calories and of course have some toned areas.  My initial goal for lifting weights was to see what definition I could get between muscle and skin/fat to see how much would potentially have to be removed particually on my thighs and arms. 

So I'd apprecaite anyone who would like to share their routine or what has worked for them. 

While everyone always says follow doctors orders, I don't think there is ever one answer for anything.  I don't love weights enough to be sad about giving them up but in the end I want to be doing what is going to get me to where I need to be!  Perhaps that is different for everyone.  I see some guys with amazing bodies that lift all day long and never touch a cardio machine...I guess there is something to be said about that as well being that they do not do both!

I also found this video below of a testimonal from a woman doing weights vs. cardio and receiving 2 different professional opinions....just interesting.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/video/weight-loss-card io-or-weights

Perhaps the real answer is just like all of our bands work in different ways for us so do our exercise routines.  Who knows!!!

Again, while I am still a little stumped from my doctor visit yesterday and not sure how I personally want to move forward with myself next time I hit the gym, I'd welcome any feedback or input from other OHers.

Thanks,
Nikki

melly37
on 2/8/12 5:12 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Ahhhh the great debate!! 

I think it honestly depends on your body type, so like you said at the end, it's different for everyone. 

For ME personally, I joined my gym a year ago in November.  I was going regularly, and working the weight machines, alternating between my legs and arms on different days.  I did my abs every day.  I was seeing a SLIGHT result in the way my clothes fit, and I could feel muscles building under my layer of fat, but I wasn't seen ANY results on the scales.  This went on for about 8 months, then I decided to try jogging.  I was still doing some weight machines, mainly arms and abs.  The days I would normally do my legs, I would run on the treadmill instead. 

I have NEVER been able to run or jog in my life...so it was a process.  I worked my way up to jogging 30 minutes straight (2 miles) on the treadmill, and if I jogged outside, I could do about 1 mile without stopping,   BAM!!!!  The weight started dropping off!!  My 14's were loose, 12's fit perfectly fine, and my 10's were wearable, a bit tight, but wearable. 

So, for me, I would say cardio is what works best.  I have some kind of foot injury now....ARGH!!!  My second left toe hurts like a when I run now.   It's so frustrating.  I guess I need to go to the doc, because I want to get back to jogging.  I was really seeing such a good result from it.

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Bette B.
on 2/8/12 5:38 am
 LOL -when did PCPs become experts on exercise?

DO BOTH. Weight training is not going to turn you into a musclehead.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

kathkeb
on 2/8/12 5:48 am
weight bearing cardio has been a huge help to me (walking, light running)

cardio where a machine does some of the work (biking, elliptical) burn calories, but do not do as much to build our bone mass

I WAS lifting weight by walking/running with 130 extra pounds on me ----- LOL

Now, I primarily walk/run and I do light weight work and crunches
Kath

SueBee01
on 2/8/12 8:36 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
My physical therapist agreed on the weight lifting to be used to build core strength.
 Sue

michele1
on 2/8/12 8:57 am
Revision on 07/07/15
I firmly believe that you should do what you love.....if you do what you love then you will do it longer and enjoy it more than doing something you dread doing..... For me, I love lifting weights and have done so for years even when I was morbidly obese.

If you do want to lift and love it trust me you will not bulk up alot from lifting weights Women just don't have the testosterone naturally that would bulk us up like Men........I wish I could.

Now I do have more muscle than some Woman and I like that (although with a 27 pound weight gain it doesn't show as much LOL).....I like feeling strong, I like the definition in my arms and shoulders and the V shape that gives me more of that hour glass figure that I desire.....besides I believe bigger shoulders and upper body make the lower body look smaller....that's why shoulder pads were so popular back in the day LOL!!!!!

Being that I have lifted weights and lost and gained weight numerous times I can attest that you do not loose alot of muscle mass if you stop lifting and gain weight.......you'd might lose a little but in my case it was just hiding under a layer of fat...... now if you stop lifting and lose too much weight too fast more than 2 pounds a week then some of that loss will be muscle. I also believe that one pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat muscle just takes up less room....

***So to make a long story short i'd say if you love lifting weights then do it.....just change it up every few weeks....I'll alternate cardio on one day weights the next for a few weeks, then I'd change to lifting upper body one day followed by cardio (always do cardio after lifting not before) then lower followed by cardio the next...

****If you don't enjoy weights or the benefits it brings then by all means don't do it.....just do cardio and maybe some strength training........

Doctors are great but only you know your body/type and what activities will give you the type of body you want.....don't worry about who is right and who is wrong....do what you love!

Michele
-Mari-
on 2/8/12 9:33 am
I think you need both, especially as we age, we lose muscle. Muscle does burn more calories even when we are resting, and I feel it makes my body firm up, more. If you are able todo both, I would stick with that. I try and see if my clothes are fitting better, ove,r did the scale move. Good luck!
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
Hislady
on 2/8/12 9:46 am - Vancouver, WA
OK my primary doc is a real health nut (in a good way) he believes in treating the whole body, mind and spirit. He pushes both because you need both types of training. I asked him about what could I do since with my lung disease cardio is pretty much impossible. He said in my caase to push the weight training because that will do more to help burn fat by increasing muscle. There is a big difference between body building and strength training. Few of us are going to body build but we all can get value out of strength training. Even the elderly can build strength and gain better balance by doing strength training. So I say ideally do both but if you can only do one sounds like strength training would be the way to go. I don't think you doc sounds like she is very well trasined in exercise. I would bet money she is a runner.
crystal M.
on 2/8/12 11:18 am, edited 2/8/12 11:19 am - Joliet, IL
I am a big advocate of strength training. 

Here is a great article I saved that outline the benefits

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/5-ways-to-keep-your-me tabolism-up-2497906.html
Nikki C.
on 2/9/12 1:33 am - Gaithersburg, MD
Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I think I am going to go back to what I was doing before which was about 75% cardio and 25% weight training.  Once I lose this stubborn 25lbs I am trying to get off to get me to my friggin goal, I would be inclined to do more weights down the road. The cardio is what helped me get off my last 30lbs so no need to fix what isn't broken.  And even then my upper body strength is where I'd focus. I lift more than a lot of men in the legs department so I'm pretty confident in my strength there as it is. Flexibility, I've got that covered too!   The joys of exercise...I wish I loved it, but I don't!

Most Active