officially approved!! questions???

free4l1fe
on 3/1/12 5:28 am - University Place, WA
REALIZE Band on 03/27/12
Ok, I just recieved the official approval for my band and I am scheduled for the 27th of this month. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I'm not really nervous of the actual procedure, but of failing. Does anyone have any tips that they wish they would have known ahead of time, or tips that they have learned along the way?

Thank you in advance!
cheynne03
on 3/1/12 5:58 am, edited 3/1/12 5:59 am - West Monroe, LA
Understand what your doctor tells you to do after surgery.  Do not alter his/her directions to meet your needs.  Do not expect the band to do the work for you.  It is merely a control mechanism.  The elusive Sweet Spot does not exist.  You have to control your bad habits yourself.  If you need counseling to help control your eating then by all means get it early on.  This is still a diet, no matter what people tell you.  You will have to learn to control your portions and limit the bad foods.  Eat your protein first (always) then eat your veggies and then carbs (limited to type and quantity) .  Get plenty of exercise, you will feel better.  And by all means have patience.  This does not happen overnight.    I am sure i forgot something, but stick around OH and ask questions.

Theresa

S 254/C168/G150   
          "Patience is the companion of wisdom."  St. Augustine

-Mari-
on 3/1/12 7:36 am
I agree with Theresa, you will be hungry after the healing phase and you will probably be for a few months. You will have to stick to eating what your Dr recommends and exercise, drink plenty of water and go through Bandster hell, as we call it. The band only makes you full on less food, that is all is does. It will not choose the right foods or make the head hunger go away. As you start to get fills, never stay too tight. If you are having problems eating, have some fluid taken out. Stress seems to make the band tighter. Keep a food journal and read all you can. Feel free to ask any questions on OH, and good luck!!
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
SueBee01
on 3/1/12 9:32 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
I am 30 days post op today and felt exactly what you are feeling before I had surgery. Stick by the post op menu and then slowly introduce. Real food. I am still experimenting. The hardest part is waiting until you are hungry to eat. I still do not get that in the stomach pit feeling of being hungry because I have not had my first fill.

I am losing about 1/2 pound a day right now and very happy with that.

Another challenge is your family/friends watching you eat so little!

It has been a great journey so far and it was a great feeling getting out of the 300's!

Be patient, you will do fine! Use MyFitnessPal to track everything. It really helps!
 Sue

MARIA F.
on 3/3/12 11:43 am - Athens, GA

~Does anyone have any tips that they wish they would have known ahead of time, or tips that they have learned along the way?~

I wish I had known ahead of time that many bandsters NEVER reach restriction! Most Drs./band mills  will not tell you that BEFORE they put the band in! Kind if an important detail, don't you think?!

FormerlyFluffy.com

free4l1fe
on 3/3/12 12:24 pm - University Place, WA
REALIZE Band on 03/27/12
 Thank you all for the information, I'm sure I will have a million more questions after my surgery. Right now the only thing going through my head is aaaaahhhhhhh :-)
Most Active