Carbonated Beverages

hideetee
on 4/3/12 3:48 am - Fairbury, IL
My Dietician said not to have carbonated beverages.

I'm having a REALLY hard time not having Diet Coke anymore.

Are any of you able to still drink carbonated beverages without problems?

kathkeb
on 4/3/12 4:00 am
Well, here is the truth.
I stopped having them before surgery -- and I stayed off of them until I got to my goal weight.

Then, my doctor and I agreed that I could have one a day if it did not cause me pain -- so some days I do.

However, I would follow MY surgeon/Dietician's advice -- no matter what it was -- even if other patients do someting different.

Your team is responsible with you for your success -- please follow their guidelines
Kath

steelerfan1
on 4/3/12 4:30 am
My doc said yes once inawhile if you can drink them. I gave up my soda about 30 days before my surgery and to be very honest I have not had the desire to even have one. I took a drink of my hubby's Pepsi ( I lived on that stuff before ) and I couldnt stand the taste of it. All I drink now is my flavored water and Ice Tea.

Hislady
on 4/3/12 7:50 am - Vancouver, WA
If you can go without I certainly would because diet soda causes more weight gain than most anything in this country. Just because it is diet doesn't mean it doesn't cause weight gain. Something about the dietetic sugars cause us to want more and more and the those very sugars (diet) make us gain weight. So while they may sound safe they are really killing us. I've not had any sodas since I was banded  4 years ago and don't miss them at all and I was a 4-6 can a day drinker.
grannymedic1
on 4/3/12 8:06 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
I CAN drink it, slowly, but rarely do for many of the reasons the others have given. That and after surgery my tastes changed and I love water for the first time in my life. I have never liked it and began using 0 calorie drinks but after being on sweet protein drinks I had my fill. I started drinking water and love it. You go with your surgeons recommendations for the most part then if on some occasion you want a small serving of something carbonated I say go for it. Just sip.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

michele1
on 4/3/12 8:25 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Carbonated drinks are on my Surgeons list of things not to have....... so I don't have them still at almost 4 years out. At one time I thought I would never be able to live without beer and soda but now I don't miss them. Wine, decaf ice tea and vitamin water zero work fine for me......once I wanted ginger ale when I was sick so I let it go flat.

I don't want to take any chances when it comes to my band and he really only had a few items that he said could cause complications so I don't do them.....

His others where Popcorn (because of the kernel pieces), celery stalks (because the hairs can cause irritation if caught in the stoma), carbonation (stretching of the pouch and exessive burping) and chewing gum (if swallowed can block the stoma).

Michele

SueBee01
on 4/4/12 3:04 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
I agree. I quite the soda and caffeine 30 days prior to surgery and I do have a green tea every once in a while, but cannot stand the taste of diet soda now! It is funny how your taste buds change. I too hated water, but am doing well with it and even get sick of the crystal lite and go to straigh****er!
 Sue

harmony9975
on 4/4/12 4:59 am
I do drink a diet coke occasionally----with lots of ice and I let a lot of the fizz go out before I sip it.
Carol M.
on 4/5/12 1:08 pm - TX
 I did not have any for nearly a year.  Then I tried a diet coke, my only drink, for over 20 years.  I had no problem with it.  But I found I did not like the taste anymore.  Go figure.  But I do like diet Dr. Pepper and drink one of the very small bottles every 3 or 4 days. Sometimes I can drink the whole thing and others I  may just take a few sips. I know it could be a trigger for me due to some long established patterns.  So  I make myself very conscious about having one. If you had RNY WLS then you have no stoma to keep liquids in your pouch. So the warnings about exploding pouches is a little over the top in my opinion. Some people say they have problems with the carbonation.  It does not bother me. 
The reason we are warned away from them is that they can be triggers for eating other things we shouldn't and in the early stages after surgery the acidic factor is really not good for a healing pouch.
So make sure you have given yourself plenty of time to heal and develop your new eating habits, then if you want to give it try.  Just always be aware of what you are doing.
Good luck.
Carol , East Texas
Carol M.
on 4/5/12 1:11 pm - TX
 Sorry, some how I got on the wrong and read your post.  My experience has been as an RNY, not lapband.
Carol , East Texas
Most Active