Plan removal of the lap band even at pre op

amylou823
on 8/1/12 2:26 pm - dearborn heights, MI
 Hello everyone!

I am pre op...VERY pre op. I do my first consult this tuesday. I researched the band extensivly and I have 2 questions.

1. Has anyone voulnterly removed the band after weight loss was achieved? Not due to complications or errosions but simply because it did it's job and it was time to take it out.

2. I see alot of research points to the main issue being port problems (flips, infections or breaks). Anyone in here have issues like this with your band??

to be clear I looked into other WLS and have decided to go with the least invasve, I understand this is a tool only not a magic bullett and my weight gain is related to amount of intake....i think..

thanks 

Amy~

“People may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do.” ~Lewis Cass

pineview01
on 8/1/12 3:57 pm - Davison, MI
2.  I have had bad pain from the port.  The port is flipped and the scaring is so bad, they have trouble doing a unfill.  The pain last time was worst than any labor pains and I had three 8/9# babies without anything.  I know that how it is suppose to be as the first year the fills didn't hurt.  When I exercise the port hurts, when I do any lifting the port hurts and sometimes when I do nothing the port hurts.

I got the band for the same reasons as you.  The staff at the center said I was a "perfect band patient."  Now I'm getting mine out. 

You asked this is just me and mine.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Bette B.
on 8/2/12 12:21 am
 1. Has anyone voulnterly removed the band after weight loss was achieved? Not due to complications or errosions but simply because it did it's job and it was time to take it out.

I know that people have discussed it and it may even have been done. However, if you have not ONE HUNDRED PERCENT conquered your issues with food, you will end up right back where you started. Personally, I have no intent to ever give mine up voluntarily.

2. I see alot of research points to the main issue being port problems (flips, infections or breaks). Anyone in here have issues like this with your band??

I never had a problem with my port except that the first one I got was a 2003-era larger port. They know have them in "low-profile" so they don't protrude as much. I had my switched after I lost a lot of my weight.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Nic M
on 8/2/12 3:38 am
A lot of research points to the main issue being NERVE DAMAGE, not port problems, although there are those to consider, as well. However, the nerve damage is much more serious than most port problems. 

You need to read the Revisions forum, the Failed Surgery Forum as part of your extensive research... and maybe Google ~ Lapband+ Vagus nerves or Lapband + referred left shoulder pain. Also look into esophageal problems with lapband... they're really common, too.

Look at the statistics... they're not good, no matter what the advertisers try to say. The US Government has subpoenaed Allergan, in fact. The band will be going the way of the dinosaur in less than a decade is my prediction. Choose a surgery that will serve you long term without having to have reoperation.  (Now is about the time when someone will pop in to say that all surgeries have risks, etc. but if you're going to go under anesthesia and have a life altering surgery, shouldn't it be one with a better long term rate of success?)  There's a lot of information out there right now that points to just how bad the lapband is. You just need to read it and take it to heart before making a decision that might have an adverse effect on the rest of your life.

Don't believe the "less invasive" hype. It doesn't mean what most people think it means at all. The band isn't a "tool," either.  It's a misnomer completely.

I believe in honesty, especially when it comes to life and death matters. So, I hope you'll take my post as trying to HELP you avoid the pitfalls so many of us have experienced.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Zee Starrlite
on 8/2/12 5:03 am

Sure you can remove but you will regain rapidly.  If you have a simple weight problem, you would benefit to change what you consume and exercise to lose the weight and keep it off.  Most of us choose WLS because we have exhausted all of our options (well that is how it used to be - now it is the first solution).  Also a band is not simply removed - it is a tedious task to dig through the scar tissue carefully.

Sorry you have not researched the band extensively - "the main issues being the port problems"  most port problems minus infections are fairly easy fixes and the least of a bandsters troubles.  The whopper of an port problem is infection because sometimes that can indicate that a band has eroded into the stomach.

Amy if your weight/eating problem is not to profound, you may want to try something like Weigh****chers.

Best,
L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

justjudy
on 8/2/12 7:57 am - Canton, MI
Never have surgery with the intention of undoing it in the future-if you think you will want the band removed, just go to something else to begin with.

My brain isn't banded, and without a band I would be 300 pounds for sure.

Judy

-Mari-
on 8/2/12 9:47 am
I don't know anyone who has had it out. And if you are having no problems I wouldn't think you'd want to. You could always have it un-filled, but why would you want it out? I don't know anyone who will never have any WL issues in the future and it can always be there, just in case.
I've never had any port problems.
All the band does is make you full on less, the rest is up to you! You will have to choose the right foods, fight head hunger, not eat too much, too fast, etc. and exercise.
Good luck on what ever you do!
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
Jost Dreams
on 8/2/12 1:16 pm

I selected the band back in 2005 based on being the "least invasive."  Unfortunately it almost cost me my life....I was 3 days from death due to a slip.  Two surgeries later I now am happy and healty with a gastric bypass.  I regret the day I had the band.  Please, please think long and hard about the band as there are much better options.

fryeme2
on 8/3/12 6:31 am - Charleston, IL
I voluntarily had my band removed about 13 months ago and when with the Rouxen Y.  The Band was NOT the "tool" for me.  I could still eat the same amount everyone else did but it took me twice as long because of the tightened band.  If I quit eating in the 30 minute interval of time they recommend I definitely would have lost the weight due to malnutrition or starving. This is no joke.  I know the band works for some but most cases it does not.  Save yourself the time and the money and mental anguish and do one of the other surgeries. 
Take care of yourself!!

Sarah
Iam_with_the_Band
on 8/3/12 11:50 am
I have had my Band for almost 5 years.  It has been the perfect tool for me, however, I am not so sure I would be comfortable having it removed - after I get to goal.  I am and always will be a food addict. As much as I think I have changed, perhaps, I have not.  I have lost the weight with the LapBand and it hasn't been the easiest, but it also has not been the hardest.  I have learned how to eat better and I am much more informed about what makes me feel better as far as workingout and being more physical.

The band is not as evil as many would have you believe.  IT does work for some of us.  As you've read there are some who have had a very bad time with their bands and have had them removed. 

Do your research and with any WLS believe it is a lot of work - there are no easy answers to Weight Loss and every WLS - EVERY WLS has complications that can destroy your health.

Make a wise decision based on your needs.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Most Active