Thoughts About Revision

Greg M.
on 9/21/12 11:56 pm, edited 9/22/12 12:22 am - Cincinnati, OH
Hello everyone.  I thought that I would check in as I haven't been here in a while.  As you can see from my signature, I am a veteran of four (4), yes count them 4 surgeries....installing the band, fixing the band, removing the band and building a sleeve.  I wanted to give my honest opinion about both surgeries for newbies and people that need a revision.

I was very successful as a lightweight with the band.  I lost 55 of the 70 lbs that I needed to lose in less than a year, then my band slipped out of position.  Actually, looking back, I think it started to slip very early on.  I always had trouble getting stuck and I could always feel the band inside of me despite having very little fill.  I was good about following the rules, chewed everything well, didn't drink with meals, solid protein first and on and on but still had the slip.

When I got full with the band it was like hitting a brick wall.  One extra bite would put me over the edge and I'd be miserable full for 4 or 5 hours, no joke.  That's the reason that I lost the weight "with a quickness" as my kids say.

My sleeve is very different, no hard brick walls, the full feeling is very subtle and I can push way past where I should stop.  I try not to do that, but honestly, it's easy to do.  I have lost most of the weight that I gained back over the 2-year period when my band was out, but these last 15 pounds are very stubborn. 

So if you are thinking about getting a revision, you need to be very honest with yourself about your eating habits and about your willingness to track your food, stay away from carbs, not drinking with and around your meals, concentrating on protein and non-starchy veggies.  Oh yes, and of course getting exercise!  If you're not totally committed to these behaviors, you will have a difficult time reaching your goal with a sleeve.

Don't get me wrong, I love my sleeve.  There is none of that awful adjusting and no port pushing through my skin.  The sleeve is hardly noticeable except that I get full quickly...full before I'm satiated sometimes too.  I still get very hungry.  I think the ghrelin thing is a myth.  I love my sleeve but I have to work harder with the sleeve than I did with the band.  So keep that in mind if you are on the fence about a revision.

I hope everyone is healthy and happy and working towards your goals.  It's going to be a long cold winter in Ohio and I'm getting myself psyched up for the final push to reach my goal weight by Christmas which will be my one year sleeve anniversary.  If you're on the fence with your commitment to reaching your goal, join me in digging in and giving it your all!

Best regards,

Greg

(Go REDS)!

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

NanaB .
on 9/22/12 4:57 am

Hi Greg,

Thank you for posting your honest opinion of your Sleeve journey. You know this lap band forum has been destroyed by band bashing and mainly by many *****vised to the Sleeve. I honestly don't get it. You know over the years since I've had my lap band, I've known MANY that revised to the Sleeve BEFORE band bashing really started back in 2008 and at that time a few told me privately the differences between the band and sleeve and their experiences and they were different from what those who currently bash the band.

This is why I get so upset now seeing the destruction of this lap band forum from those who used to tell newbies how stupid they are for picking the band nowadays over the Sleeve and I quote "don't get the band, get the Sleeve and you will lose weight effortlessly, and the Sleeve works like the lap band SHOULD, you eat a few bites and get full quick and you can eat all healthy foods, no stuck feeling, slimming, and you never get hungry, you have to remind yourself to eat.

I've always thought those comments were odd, about not able to eat "healthy food with the band" and about the comparison with Sleeve and Band because I've ALWAYS been able to eat REAL foods comfortably with my band over the years, when my band was properly adjusted. I've had a few times where I was filled too tight by mistake and I could not eat or it would hurt to eat, but I've always removed saline quickly, so I've always been able to eat small amounts of any foods and get full quickly so my banded journey overall has been pretty good.

Now I was also confused with the band versus the Sleeve because this was NOT what my friends told me privately of how THEIR Sleeve worked, they told me that initially the Sleeve has a very hard recovery, and they felt very nauseous and shaky and could not eat much and had very bad burning and heartburn right after surgery and they could not tolerate a lot of foods and sick to their stomach most of the time, and still get very hungry after small meals and would feel sick especially eating any thing with sugar, but gradually that sick feeling passed over the months and this is how they lost their weight quickly.

Now those who told me privately the difference between the Sleeve and band was a bit different than what people mention on this board, their MAIN complaint was, they had MORE restriction with the Lap Band than the Sleeve, and they had no idea that they could have dumping syndrome with the Sleeve and a few told me that the dumping did not start right away they started having this about 1-2 years post op .

Now here is where I get mixed messages about the Sleeve, many mentioned that they don't have dumping syndrome and that is why they avoided RNY, but if you ask my friends, they say they do, (I have two friends that never had the band and have the Sleeve, met them on the black American forum over 3 years ago and we talk often).

Now, what I really don't understand is that many Sleevers that never had the band (including two of my friends) lost most of their weight quickly and has kept most of their weight off, but they are now beginning to struggle (over 3 years post op with the Sleeve and now don't have much restriction, but still get dumping syndrome often and slowly gaining back), from what I've seen tho is that many Sleevers that has NEVER had the band tend to lose a little bit more quicker on average than a typical lap band to Sleeve revision.

I honestly think this is due to the fact that part of the stomach is removed and the shock to the body and many Sleevers can't eat much in the beginning -- giving them the advantage to lose quicker like the bypass, whereas lap banders don't have much restriction right out of surgery they have to wait for healing and fills, and some people have poor aftercare, bad fills, etc, which may hinder or delay weight loss for many lap banders, or many never lose weight due to this.

True enough, the lap band can be a nightmare for some, that are not prepared, have poor aftercare, bad fills, get too tight, depend TOO MUCH ON THE BAND, and don't stay focused. If the band is never filled properly, too tight or too loose it will not work, I had some issues initially with my previous surgeon that would fill me too tight or I would be too loose, but I still dealt with those issues over the years.

You know, Greg you are a good guy and very honest, you know many people used to be honest about their lap band journey but now not so much, people just complain and never tell the truth about what REALLY happens when they suffer band slippage, my band almost slipped too about 6 years ago and it felt horrible, but my band was saved with quickly unfilling it and rest period and I healed and moved on.

What I cannot understand is that when people HATE their bands and tell others quickly to don't get the band, get the Sleeve, RNY or DS, without telling people how these surgeries work and their risks. There are NO perfect weight loss surgeries, the Sleeve, RNY and DS has their own issues too, and I agree the lap band can be a pain in the butt sometimes, but it has DONE MORE GOOD for me than bad, all those times that I've had issues, they were quickly fixed. We ALL should know that all these surgeries ARE TOOLS, and they all work differently the Sleeve and Band are a bit similar since they are both restrictive surgeries, they BOTH have bad side effects if you eat too much, NEITHER ARE ANY BETTER THAN THE OTHER.

I am happy many people have the Sleeve as an option, from what I hear it is less of a hassle with fills and unfills and probably less expensive over time, I think the Sleeve is a great choice for people that cannot commit to the aftercare of fills,etc, and the band has its good points too with fills, you can always get the band adjusted to help with weight loss.

I am wishing you a great Sleeved life Greg, and thank you for sharing your honest perspective on both surgeries.

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

Greg M.
on 9/22/12 7:36 am - Cincinnati, OH
Hi Nana,

Yes, it's unfortunate about the band bashing and all of the other surgery bashing that goes on.  I have never felt that way.  I was frustrated with the two slips and removal, but it all worked out okay.

Any tool that helps you reach your goal is a good tool.  I was so excited with the progress that I made with my band.   I looked and felt great and I I was able to get off my diabetes medicine.  I see many people on OH that have been at goal with no band issues for 7, 8 and 10 years.  That's a pretty good track record!

I have been fortunate with my sleeve.  I never threw up once, no dumping, no food intolerance's.  I still take Protonix every day and have no issues with GERD or reflux.  As I mentioned before, I am struggling with hunger and finding it difficult to lose the last 15 pounds.  Carbohydrates for me are the enemy!  The more I eat the hungrier I get.  So regardless of the surgery, band or sleeve, you still have to follow the same rules.

Wishing you continued success and happiness!

Cheers,

Greg

NanaB .
on 9/22/12 9:28 am, edited 9/22/12 2:30 am

Greg,

That's good that the Sleeve works this way for you, I have to say with my band I will still slime 7 years out if I goof and eat too quick. Speaking of Protonix, as long as it's not generic, it works fabulous for me, it will heal any type of acid erosion quickly and keep the heartburn at bay. But the generic is poison for me, no more of that. One thing I can say about the Sleeved folks, most of them sure look hot after weight loss...even you...so somethings working .

Good luck to you

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

LilSleeved
on 9/22/12 8:12 pm
Thanks for your honest assessment of the two surgeries.  I appreciate your honesty.  I will never be one to bash the Band.  It was a great tool for me for over 4 years and I still believe in it's ability to help many.  I do know that it isn't always good for everyone and many have been tortured by it.  I was one who was not, until about 6 months ago when nighttime reflux got so bad that my voice has had major changes. 

My warning to anyone with a LapBand or any other WLS tool is to always be diligent and not ignore health problems.  Frequent vomiting and reflux - when you haven't had an adjustment in over a year is a sign that things are not good anymore!  GET it taken care of now!  Don't ignore it!

My revision to Sleeve is this Monday.  I'm scared, anxious, excited and ready to just get it done.

I know it's not going to be easy.  I have never looked for easy, I just want doable and safe.  The Band was both of those for me and I am hoping the Sleeve with be also!

Congrats on your accomplishments and I will be joining you this winter - digging in to get to my final goal!

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

Greg M.
on 9/23/12 6:18 am - Cincinnati, OH
Wow, that's exciting that you are getting your surgery tomorrow.  I had very little pain with my sleeve surgery and stayed in the surgery center for 23 hours.  I really only needed pain medicine for about 6 days post op.  I was back to work in 2 weeks and back to the gym in 4 weeks.  I will warn you that I had bathroom issues for almost a month so get a few good books to read...haha!

Good luck tomorrow, this is a new beginning for you! 

pineview01
on 9/22/12 10:52 pm - Davison, MI

Thank You Greg for your thoughts on your Revision!

I have had my band out and am trying hard to get the sleeve. I was
told things were slower for people losing band to sleeve than a virgin
sleeve surgery. Sounds like it is so!

It is one thing to watch my loved ones with their virgin sleeve, now I
have a better idea of how it will be for me.

My PCP made a comment the other day. She said now we will see
 how skinny you get with the sleeve. She doesn't get it (she has no
use for WLS)! My goal is to keep off the 72 pounds If lost over the
last four years with the band. (I lost, regained it all and lost again as
they unfilled the band over the last year.) Stay on little or no HBP
meds and stave off Diabetes.  If I end up the same or just 20 pounds
less than I am now, I would be totally happy.  It isn’t about skinny. 

Again Thank You for a very helpful and honest review!

Did you X-post this on the Revision board?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Greg M.
on 9/23/12 6:27 am - Cincinnati, OH
Yes, I totally understand your logic and agree about the "skinny" business.  My decision for both the band and the sleeve was always health-based for me.  Yes, it's wonderful to look better and fit in clothes better, but the fact that my health issues are much improved is the best result! 

I am still on a small dose "as needed" for sugar, especially when I can't get as much exercise as I need due to travel or injury.  That's the reason that I'm really trying to get these final 15 pounds off.  With diabetes, the thinner the better. 

Staving off diabetes is a really smart move on your part.  It is an awful disease that reeks havoc on multiple organs and body systems.  I wish you all the best for your future.

tripmom02
on 9/24/12 5:31 am - NJ
Nope, it isn't always so. I lost WAY faster with my Sleeve then I ever did with my band, and I made goal faster then serveral of the virgin sleevers who had the surgery the same time I did.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Jean M.
on 9/23/12 5:25 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Greg,

I'm glad you're doing well with the sleeve. I agree that the no-grehlin-no-hunger thing is a myth (based on my personal experience, anyway). Unfortunately I struggle with CRAZY hunger, dumping and excess acid (despite taking PPI's).

I also agree that someone who didn't lose weight with the band because they made no lifestyle changes will probably not succeed with the sleeve, either. Weight loss is always work, no matter what surgery we choose. But SO worth it!

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active