FOLLOW-UP: What to do after a band slip?

Sonja W.
on 4/17/13 4:21 am - Decatur, IL

Hi all!!  I posted a couple of weeks ago about a possible band slip.  Doc was able to put 7 cc’s in a 10 cc band that supposedly already had 6 cc's in it.  He sent me for an x-ray and then an upper GI with contrast, which did reveal a slip.  He said when viewing the film he could actually look through the opening of the band - which is pretty bad.

At my follow up today, Doc told me that he recommends that the band either be removed or revised, but because my original surgery was done elsewhere (I moved to IL from AZ 2 years ago), he would do neither for me.  I told him that was fine (not really comfortable with him doing the surgery anyway), and told him I wanted a complete unfill so as to give the stomach a chance to fall back into place – which my AZ Doc used to talk about quite a bit as a first step after a slip.  He removed 9 cc’s of fluid, which means there was only 2 cc’s in my band before the fill on 4/1/13.  I asked him about coming back in a month or so for a fill if the slip resolved itself.  He said he will not do any further fills for me and doesn’t recommend leaving the band as is.  He suggested that I return to my AZ Doc for further surgery.

I expected problems going to a different doc than my original, but I didn't anticipate that he would flat out refuse to perform the surgery or give me further fills.  I've sent all this info to my AZ Doc and asked if he would be willing to review the recent films and give me his recommendation.  I also asked if he recommends revision if he would be willing to do it - or, alternatively, recommend a Doc in my area.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do now.  I have a tool inside me that I haven't utilized for the last 4 years.  Now I may not be able to get fills or surgery locally so it just sits inside me - doing noting??  I've wasted the last 4 years, and I know that.  I'm frustrated that I spent my own money on this surgery and now it does nothing but cause problems.  My AZ Doc is great, but I really don't expect him to just agree to perform surgery on someone that can't do follow ups with him.  AND if he does do a revision, is it likely that I won't be able to find an IL Doc willing to do follow up care???

Sonja     
melly37
on 4/17/13 5:10 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12

Are there other surgeons in your area?  If so, shop around!  I have seen a lot of posts on OH where the patient went to a different doc for a revision.  Hope the unfill helps and you find a good solution!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Tracyrcb
on 4/21/13 7:19 am - Dutchess County, NY

You should look for a different surgeon.  I was having some issues with my band and I went to a new dr. this week.  It was my very first appointment.  After they did the upper GI, it was determined my band had slipped.  They immediately sent me to the hospital and put in a new band.

Hislady
on 4/17/13 11:43 am, edited 4/17/13 11:43 am - Vancouver, WA

Well if you revised to a sleeve there wouldn't really be any follow up unless you had something right after surgery. Once the stomach heals there isn't really anything else to do and any general or gastro surgeon would be able to work on you if you had any actual stomach problems later on. At least that is my understanding.

Sonja W.
on 4/18/13 12:53 am - Decatur, IL

Thanks for the input ladies.  I have to do some more research now that it looks like surgery may be likely in the near future.  I am leaning towards the sleeve, but just don't know enough about it yet.  My AZ Doc if VERY pro-band, so I'm pretty sure I know what his opinion will be.  I'll just have to start looking for a local Doc -- local meaning within an hour drive.  The town I live in is VERY limited on bariatric surgeons.  Thanks again. 

Sonja     
grannymedic1
on 4/18/13 3:17 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

Honestly, I would expand my search for a surgeon a little further out, probably 2 hours. You will have follow up after revision, at about 1-3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year. After that it would be annually. On rare occasions there are complications which would take more appointments but are rare. I just happened to,  be one of the lucky few. In this respect a surgeon closer to home would be best but it depends upon if you can find someone near. If you can't then go a little further out rather than returning to your Az. surgeon.

Sometimes a slip will resolve after time but if it doesn't don't get into surgical repair, get it out and revise. Some do fine after surgical repair and go on to successful band life, but many times there will be further slips after time. Discouraging and more surgery which is never good and can be expensive with co-pays. Of course this is my opinion only. Research all your options for one that best fits you and your lifestyle. There are no, repeat no, wls that are perfect, with out complications, regain of weight potential, or one size fits all.

Good luck,

Sue

Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

pineview01
on 4/18/13 2:44 pm - Davison, MI

Check out other surgeons in your area.  One that isn't "pro" band and does the other surgeries.  Click on the find a surgeon on the bar above to get a start.  You also might want to check out the IL boards.

Good luck!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

terrysimpson
on 4/20/13 8:02 am - Scottsdale, CA

I would be happy to take care of it - and you - and there are a number of options. There are docs in IL that can do fills or will do them

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/13 2:51 am

If you go back to your original surgeon you will just be in the same boat you are in today when you have problems or need fills down the road.  I'd get a sleeve and be done with all of it. It is so much easier anyway but you will need to find a surgeon that knows how to do them. I think your surgeon is a band mill.

terrysimpson
on 4/23/13 3:03 am - Scottsdale, CA

You can always get a Sleeve - and never worry about fills. That is always an option. The risk of a sleeve has been well reported- and a recent report shows a leak rate 5.5% for conversions. If you need the reference I will email it to you

Most Active