Lap Band Issues- Considering getting the Sleeve

TravelinJen
on 5/5/14 10:41 am

I got my Lap Band 6 years ago. I lost a total of about 60lbs over the years, but not without a fight. My port has flipped twice, I had a lot of reflux and nausea that made me unable to eat, and now I'm having sharp pain after my last fill. I had 2 children in the past 3 years and most of the time my band was not restricted. I was ready to get the weight I had gained with the kids off and got a fill a few months ago, that didn't restrict me much, so got another fill last week. Over the weekend I was burping up acid, unable to get even liquids down at times, then last night the sharp pain in my chest. My doctor unfilled it a bit today and I am getting an Upper GI Wednesday. I am thinking about having the band removed and getting the sleeve as I have had nothing but problems with this band. This was my last go at it. However, I'm wondering if I will have a bunch of problems with the sleeve as well, anyone had experience switching over? Thanks for your help! 

Mo Diggity
on 5/5/14 2:02 pm - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

I didn't have the Lap Band or Sleeve, but I just came across your post... there is a "Revision" board you'd probably have better luck posting this question over there. Just click on the link below that I added..... Good Luck ;)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

pineview01
on 5/5/14 10:41 pm, edited 7/14/14 2:54 pm - Davison, MI

I had the band since '09 and got it removed in '12.  I was revised to the sleeve 1/13 and have gotten off the EWL and am doing great.  I just had PS and am a little out of it pm me if you have other questions.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Hislady
on 5/6/14 4:05 am - Vancouver, WA

Hundreds if not thousands have ended up having to revise because the band did not work for them. If it is just the band causing the heartburn the sleeve will most likely work for you, if not then the RNY may be better because the sleeve can increase heartburn in some folks. So I would suggest you research both and see which one will fit you best. Good luck!

caraz
on 7/12/14 10:44 am

I was banded in 08 after losing 80 lbs I am considering a revision. I feel my band was put in to tight from the very beginning as I have had acid reflux, issues with getting stuck, slime ect. Since day one. Even with a total infill I have issues. My question is do insurance companies pay for the removal due to failure and then the revision? Can you sue a doc that put the band in to tight? I am seeing a different doc because once I complained about the problems my previous doc and his practice would not return calls. Frustrated.

pineview01
on 7/14/14 2:54 pm - Davison, MI

That will depend on your insurance!  Mine went to a once in a lifetime.  They did agree to remove the band due to all the documented medical problems but I had to fight to get them to pay for the sleeve revision.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active