Band and port removed yesterday, so glad it's gone!

J_mo
on 10/15/14 11:06 pm

I had my lap band that was installed July 2007 removed yesterday!  So glad it's gone!    I never liked the idea of having a foreign object in my body!  I have lost 50 pounds since the band was installed but it's taken consistent exercise and logging calories on my fitness pal to accompli****  My surgeon advised me during my consultation unot to have the lap band surgery because I am an emotional eater, anyone that has the band knows you can still eat any kind of foods you want, you just have to chew slowly.  I am not even going to consider another weight loss surgery.  I want to eat healthy and exercise for the rest of my life.  I do allow myself the foods I love but in small portions and not everyday.  I know weight loss surgeries work great for some people but I'm not one of those people.  Looking forward to fully enjoying life without having the band!!5

Kate -True Brit
on 10/16/14 6:40 am - UK

My very best wishes!  Wls is not right fir everyone. Hope you succeed in your post-Wls life! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Dejah H.
on 10/16/14 7:03 am - Central, TX

Wishing you all the best. Glad you are happy! 

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

Vivian Prouty
on 10/16/14 11:52 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Wishing you the very best !!!  Keep focusing on what your eating...portion sizes.....and most of all exercising and I think you will do alright.   You might also ( If you can do them ) do some protein shakes and keep your protein levels up.    Also try doing 5 to 6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism up and going strong.   Good luck to you on your new bandless journey.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Hislady
on 10/17/14 6:47 am - Vancouver, WA

Welcome to the wonderful world of the unbanded! I feel considerably better without my band and have even lost some weight since having it out. Just stay focused on being healthy and jump on any gain right away, you should do just fine!

J_mo
on 10/17/14 9:09 am

I wish I had gotten it taken out years ago!  I had my first normal dinner tonight without it and it was beyond strange.  I was able to eat a grilled chicken sandwich with the bun and actually pick the 2 up together and eat without starting to hicup and all the other junk that comes with it!  It's going to take a while to get used to it but it will be a very happy, wonderful change!  The main problem I had besides needing it out because I hadn't had a fill since 2009 was my chronic, gross cough.  I can tell having the band out is helping that even though I'm still coughing from the surgery, just had it out 2 days ago.  So, SO Happy and relieved it's gone!

Hislady
on 10/18/14 5:44 am - Vancouver, WA

Just be careful about eating many carbs again like the bread, rice and pasta type foods because they will make you gain like crazy. I still rarely eat any of those, I just stick with lean protein and veggies to keep from regaining.

Nic M
on 10/18/14 5:52 am

Isn't it crazy how we're so excited to get surgery and then we put up with such misery... and then it's even more exciting to get the band removed? I understand! I went through it, too. I'm glad you're free of that.  Wishing you the very best now and in the future. I hope you heal up well. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

km30381
on 10/19/14 6:49 am

Hi.  I will be having my band removed soon.  Can you tell me about recovery time.  Wondering how much time to take off work.    Thanks, Kathy

J_mo
on 10/19/14 7:30 am

I had my band out 4 days ago (had been in since July 2007)and could have easily went back by the third day.  I have no pain, just sore where the port came out.  My main advise for healing is be sure to keep moving once you are home from your surgery.  I have done laundry and walked around my house and for the past 3 days have walked outside for 30 minutes per day.  I'm so happy my band is out, feels like I'm dreaming!  Good luck!

Most Active