Janine P.
on 6/10/12 11:49 am
Topic: RE: For low carbers...or those stalled
Plain 2% Fage is 9 carbs a cup. :) 

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 6/10/12 10:57 am
Topic: RE: For low carbers...or those stalled
Hi Lovely!!  Little tip I figured out when you really want some yogurt - buy plain (unsweetened) yogurt and sweeten it to your liking with Truvia or Splenda (which ever you like best) and mash up a little fruit into it (I like strawberries but blueberries are good too).  It's a nice alternative.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 1/23/12 10:29 pm
Topic: RE: beating myself up...don't know what to do

Not beating yourself up is hard.  I know, because I am the queen of beating myself up.  I expect progress from others but perfection from myself.  It's so unrealistic and ridiculous; but it's true.

Try to make babysteps for yourself when you're going through a rough patch.  Break it down to having 1 good day at a time.  If you can't handle that, break it down even further to having 4 hours of healthy behavior at a time.

When you fall off the bike and get back on, you've got to start slow before you get back up to the speed you were at before you fell.  Same thing; start slow.  One day at a time, two days, three days...

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 1/20/12 6:30 am
Topic: RE: WHY???? HAVEN'T LOST WEIGHT!!!!!
You don't have a weight loss ticker in your signature so I don't know how much you weigh or how severe your obesity is, but you may be eating too little, or too much (but again, I can't guess because I don't know how much you have to lose.)

For me, when I had the band, I had to eat between 1,600 and 1,850 a day or I'd starve my metabolism and my weight would go no where.  Granted, I was weighing in between 400 at my highest and 265 at my lowest, so I was a very big girl.

Like everyone else said, track your food, but experiment with your caloric intake.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 1/20/12 6:24 am
Topic: RE: Can someone please inform me?
Bette is correct.  The allergan band has bubbles that inflate all around the band, with a small space to buckle.  The realize band has bubbles around the band, with no space to buckle - you buckle over the bubbles. 

Google pictures of it if you want to look closer.  Neither is better than the other, in my opinion.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 1/20/12 3:35 am
Topic: RE: Has anyone here had a revision to LAPBAND?

There have been a few people who have had B.O.B. (band over bypass).  They help.

Don't forget to exhaust your options.  Revising to a DS is also an option with the right surgeon.  I don't know how much more weight you want to lose but if the amount is significant, you may want to look into that route.

Best of luck!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 1/19/12 10:40 pm
Topic: RE: Sticking my neck out.... Happy bandsters, please support me!

Hi Kate - I am not an "angry bandster".  I had my band for 3 1/2 years.  Was I a happy bandster?  No, or I wouldn't have had it out, but I'm not going to pee on anyone else's parade.

Bands do work for some people - absolutely.  I don't generalize.  I never tell anyone that they should steer clear of the band.  I do, however, ALWAYS STRESS that anyone needs to look into every option of WLS. 

My theory is that WLS success varies like shoes fit feet.  If you choose the WLS that matches the severity of your obesity, you'll be successful.  Having said that, there are PLENTY of people who fit the obesity category where a lap band would be their BEST choice.

My complaint is that people generalize too much; using 1 rule for all.  Using the rule that the lap band is bad for everyone is ignorant. 

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 1/8/12 10:02 pm
Topic: RE: struggling...weigh****chers?
Weigh****chers is a smart diet plan to stick to.  Very balanced.  If you still struggle after a good amount of time and effort in weigh****chers, look into a revision.  Don't forget that you had this surgery to END your obesity.  Don't lose that drive!!

Best of luck!!!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 1/5/12 3:01 am
Topic: RE: What the hell
One day at a time.  If you have to, break it down to half a day at a time. 

One decision at a time.  In the supermarket, you look at those ice cream sandwiches; look for individual ones, or those mini pint containers from Ben & Jerry's and get one of those instead.  You're still indulging but you're not bringing home the ammo to indulge to the 10th degree for three days straight, you know?

Don't take on a week at a time.  Take on a day at a time and if you have to, take on an hour at a time.  Break it down. 

Best of luck!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 1/5/12 2:53 am
Topic: RE: Need to get back on track
Hi Steph
I'll work backward.

Upper GI - sooo easy.  They make you drink barium in front of an X-ray type machine and watch the barium go down your esophogus and stomach.  That's it.  Super easy.

You're only deemed a failure if you give up at weight loss altogether.  You obviously haven't done that and are working toward it.  You are far from a failure.

Best of luck!!!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 1/5/12 2:45 am
Topic: RE: Need a swift, solid kick in the pants
Dr. Mehta was my band doctor too!! :)  I've never seen someone on OH with her aside from me.  

Great lady.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 1/4/12 2:47 am
Topic: RE: Need a swift, solid kick in the pants
Is a revision an option for you? Or are you set on making the band work for you?

Reason I'm asking is because it's been three years for you; your metabolism is probably shot from eating a low calorie diet for that long.  Making the band work for you now will be very hard.  I'm speaking from experience; My band was 3 1/2 years old when I got rid of mine.  Losing half a pound with my band at 3+ years out was close to impossible.

Best of luck!!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 12/29/11 5:48 am
Topic: RE: FOR FUN: Random Crap about us
1) What bill do you hate paying the most?
Any medical bill - I have several

2) Where was the last place you had a romantic dinner?
At a restaurant called Scarpetta, in NYC

3) What do you really want to be doing right now?
Napping

4) How many colleges did you attend?

5) How many did you graduate from?
Just one but I'm working on my Master's.

6) Why did you choose the shirt that you have on right now?
It was on the floor of my bedroom and looked cute when I wore it for half an hour the other day.

7) What are your thoughts on gas prices?
I think that my car uses way too much gas to justify paying that much per gallon - there should be a "frequent-buyer" status or something, because I deserve a discount.

8) First thought when the alarm went off this morning?
"Oh **** here we go..."

9) Last thought before going to sleep last night?
"I wonder when the boyfriend is going to call.  I hope that ******* doesn't wake me up..."

10) Do you miss being a child?
No.

11) What errand/chore do you despise?
Laundry

12) Get up early or sleep in?
Sleep in

13) Have you found real love yet?
A few times.

14) Favorite lunch meat?
Di Lusso Genoa Salami

15) What do you get every time you go into Wal-Mart?
I don't go to Wal-Mart

16) Beach or lake?
Beach

17) Do you think marriage is an outdated ritual?
Nope.  Tradition is beautiful sometimes.

18) "Real Housewives of..." or "Keeping Up with the Kardashians"?
With Bette, I can proudly say that I have never watched either so I can't answer this question.

19) What famous person would you like to have dinner with?
Chris Botti

20) Have you ever crashed your vehicle?
Yep. Not BADLY, though.

21) Ever had to use a fire extinguisher for its intended purpose?
No.

22) Ring tone?
Ni**a's in Paris by Jay Z and Kanye West - Love it

23) Strangest place you have ever brushed your teeth?
Car.

24) Somewhere in California you've never been and would like to go?
LA

25) Do you go to church?
Nope

26) At this point in your life would you rather start a new career or a new relationship?
Career.

27) How old are you?

28) Do you have a "go to" person?
Nope.  Wish I did, though.  Does my therapist count??

29) Are you where you want to be in life?
Not even close

30) Growing up, what were your favorite cartoons?
Snoopy/peanuts

31) What about you do you think has changed the most?
My weight and personality - I used to be super artificially confident and now, I'm insecure, but much more realistic. Basically, I stopped lying to myself but found out that the truth hurts.  

32) Looking back at high school were they the best years of your life?
F**k, no!

33) Are there times you still feel like a kid?
Nope

34) Did you ever own troll dolls?
Never

35) Did you have a pager?
certainly did.

36) Where was the hang out spot when you were a teenager?
My friend jennifer's house; her parents didn't come home until after 6pm, so we had about 4 hours of unsupervised time.

37) Who do you think impacted your life the most?
From what I work out with my therapist, it seems like everyone impacted my life negatively while growing up.  My parents were unrealistic with their expectations, my teachers held me to an unfair standard, my music teacher wanted nothing but perfection.  So now I'm just ****** up.

38) Was there a teacher or authority figure that stood out for you?
Nope.

39) Do you tell stories that start with “when I was your age"?
Nope.  Not yet.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 12/28/11 1:36 am
Topic: RE: End of year B*TCHFest: join in!

- My coworkers spend 40 minutes of each hour complaining about how busy they are and how they just can't catch up, yet, find the 20 minutes an hour to stand around in each other's cubes and gossip.

- Did I mention that they gossip about me?  How do I know? My boss told me about a rumor that got spread a few weeks ago.  They are two-faced *****es who have nothing more important going on in their lives than to gossip about me.  Sad but true.

- Can I write off the cost of the book "Toxic Coworkers" as a company expense?

- Food police - every time I see someone with food in my hand or at my desk, they ask me what I'm eating and then ask "Is that okay for you?".  Mind your own ******g business!!!  I've lost over 180 pounds - I know what I'm doing by now!

- My boyfriend doesn't take me out enough. 

- My sister is a degenerate ****

- I'm tired.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 12/27/11 10:00 pm
Janine P.
on 12/27/11 9:58 pm
Topic: RE: Handing over the Secret Santa reins . . .
Bette, could you think of anyway of receiving the gifts in one place and dispersing only to those who gave?

Example (but a bad one); Having all the presents sent to your house and YOU mail them out to the recipients.

That's just an example of what I mean - not a good idea, though, because it's not your responsibility to endure the postage costs or labor of mailing.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 12/27/11 2:56 am
Topic: RE: General forum annoyances, for fun
Can I ***** for a moment?

I can't stand the women in my office.  They spend 45 minutes out of every hour, huffing and puffing, loudly speaking under their breath "Oh my god I'm so busy! Why is it so busy?" Yet... they spend the other 15 minutes of the hour gossiping with each other, spreading rumors about people (and my boss actually clued me in that one of the rumors was about me.)

I am looking for a book to handle toxic coworkers, so if anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 12/26/11 9:59 pm
Topic: RE: Post op Lap Band removal
Hi Kathryn,
I don't know how much you have left to lose but I went from the band to a sleeve, then the sleeve to the DS. 

The sleeve or DS are very productive surgeries and I think you'd be happy with either.  Just choose based on the severity of your weight/obesity.

Best of luck!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 12/19/11 3:33 am, edited 12/19/11 3:33 am
Topic: RE: You CAN'T FAIL YOUR BAND IF....
Actually, not only can the band fail you, but you can fail your band if you remain too consistent.

Consistency causes your body to become accustom to a pattern. Once it's accustom to a pattern of eating, exercising, caloric intake in and calories out, blah blah - Weight loss will stop; the definition of a stall.

Shaking up your routine is good to do.

Naomi, you started this post with good intentions but seriously...

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 12/13/11 9:56 pm
Topic: RE: How many years have you been banded? List weight loss and if ANY complications to date
Years Banded 3 years, 3 months
Minor Complication
 - None
Major Complication - Band slipped, port detached from tubing, major adhesion growth, minor erosion.
Weight loss 
-
 82 lbs stayed off

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 12/13/11 9:50 pm
Topic: RE: feeling really dizzy
I'm with everyone else: Water water water.  The gas will go away soon but keep tha****er up.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 12/13/11 9:48 pm
Topic: RE: I am a BAD Girl
Hey Pretty - I live about 30 minutes from you.

You've got to keep the end in sight.  Every moment you're ready to cave in and go for solids, just say "Ten more days... Just ten more days..."

You can do it!!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 11/30/11 3:41 am
Topic: RE: Jennifer Hudson's hospitalized with her Lap Band??
If you're going to spread gossip, at least research your bull**** first:

Jennifer Hudson’s Camp Responds to Lap-Band Rumors

Sunday, June 12, 2011

As you know, Jennifer Hudson fell ill with severe stomach pains while performing on ABC’s Good Morning America Summer Concert Series on Friday. She was rushed to a NYC hospital where she was reportedly treated for food poisoning and released a few hours later.

It wasn’t long before rumors began swirling that the 29-year-old Oscar winner was actually experiencing complications from a gastric lap-band procedure she underwent in 2009.

Yesterday evening, someone from Jennifer’s camp left this comment on my blog:

TheVoiceOfReason says:

Okay,

I have read all the garbage and now will insert a few facts.

Star Jones, with all her lies, has ruined massive weight loss for all Black women. Lap Band Surgery is the first thing out of haters mouths when a woman of color loses a large amount of weight, not so fast.

The Facts: Jennifer’s weight loss journey lasted 20 months (not 3 or 6) and it began days after her son’s birth in August of 2009. Her journey began by walking several miles a day and totally changing her eating habits. For a year she ate nothing but baked chicken or fish with brown rice and veggies and lost only about 20 pounds or so. Racked with frustration Jenn switched over to Weigh****chers which taught her portion control and the right combinations of food. WW in tandem with a 5-6 day a week workout routine caused the pounds to fall off. Jennifer does not eat tiny bites, she eats a full meal 5 times or so a day. She did not have Lap Band or any other type of weight loss surgey, period.

Anyone can do what she did, it just takes patience and discipline.

When travelling, as she often does, she tends to eat either restaurant or hotel room service food. Bottom line, her breakfast did not sit too well with her on Friday the 10th. Bad food coupled with singing and gyrating around the GMA stage just stirred up the gastric acids in her stomach causing intense cramping sending her to the ER. End of story.

Just because Star Jones lied does not mean that every Black woman lies about her weight loss journey. And do you really believe that Weigh****chers would open themselves to possible lawsuits of false advertising for Jennifer Hudson? I think not.

June 11, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Janine P.
on 11/30/11 3:19 am
Topic: RE: Confused about the band
I'm doing really good.  This surgery is a snap - it just "works" with my body.  I don't know why, but it just does. 

My vitamins - I do follow Vitalady's schedule too.  My iron is in the toilet (but it was pre-op as well).  I'm having a hard time getting that up - I'm on a lot of iron, but I'll continue to fight it.  

Glad your friend is doing so well!! 

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Most Active