Marital Issues after surgery

FeelingFine
on 7/11/08 10:40 am
Has anyone experienced distance or marital issues with their spouse after surgery? Is your spouse happy with the new you? Or is it you that has changed and they don't understand?
(deactivated member)
on 9/9/08 12:14 am - Cleveland Heights, OH

I have experienced significant issues in my primary relationship (I'm a lesbian), to such an extent that that relationship has recently ended.  I'm not sure how much of the ending of the relationship is related to my weight loss, but I'm sure it's partially to "blame." 

In addition to losing weight, I've changed in a lot of other ways in the three years since my surgery.  I've continued my journey of personal growth and awareness, and it's hard to say how much of that is related to the weight loss and how much of it's attributable to where I'm at in my life (early 40s).  In my case, I think my relationship would have ended or at least change significantly regardless of the weight loss, but I will honestly never know. 

I would encourage you to maintain open lines of communication with your spouse/partner about what's happening with/to you.  Although those discussions can be difficult, those open lines of communication are key to a healthy relationship; have the discussions even when they are hard.  Be open, be honest, be truthful, both with your spouse/partner and with yourself....

Good luck on your continuing journey -

Kellie

Bigguywillbrem07
on 12/18/08 11:53 am - Rio Linda, CA
I dont even want to get started. One of the reasons I went for the surgery cause I felt that I would be more attractive to my spouse. Yeah, dont think so

The big guy has been here....

Leah P.
on 5/29/09 6:30 am - Indianapolis, IN
I am beginning to experience a problem in my marriage that I had not plannedon. Now that I am getting closer to my goal weight... I have about 30 pounds to go. That is my goal, drs goal is only 20 more pounds.
I am finding that my husband is becoming a jealous man.  Whenever we are out, in my home town where I grew up, which is near by and we go there to see my family and to shop alot.  If we run into anyone, (MALE) he starts asking questions... is that someone you used to date?  I was not overweight until after I had my kids.  He goes into a mood where he doesn't speak to me no matter what I have said or who we have seen.  If he gets it in his head that we have seen someone I used to date... he just goes into this mood.  Or if we are out somewhere... anywhere and any male pays me the slightest attention... he just quits speaking to me. I am not encouraging anything or acting any differently  now than I did at almost 300 lbs.  Even talking to the neighbor which I have done a million times and the neighbors wife is standing right there with us!!.... now its because the neighbor is flirting!~!!
Any suggestions guys...?  I have told him over and over how much I love and care for him. Its falling on deaf ears now.
He is asking me to quit losing weight now since he thinks I am too thin now... at 178lbs. 
I have never seen this side of my husband.  We have been married 4 year now. and I am not liking this at all. I am not acting any different.  I am just 115lbs lighter. 
So I am at a loss as to what to do or say. 
Blessings to you all, Leah   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hey there.. new person :)
kahlana · 1 replies · 303 views
Hi I/we are new here too
Raheretic · 0 replies · 578 views
Marital Issues after surgery
FeelingFine · 3 replies · 590 views
New to this board
Sommer · 0 replies · 312 views
XXX question