Recent Posts

Judi H.
on 1/31/04 1:06 am - ND
Topic: RE: Abbreviations
Hi Mercy, Generally if you type for a hospital, they are more strict about everything being spelled out (JCAHO guidlines). However, alot of times in private clinics, on office chart notes, abbreviations are used quite a bit. Actually I prefer to spell it out because it makes the report look more professional. The report has a potential of being read by many different people and not everyone knows what the abbreviations stand for. It takes a lot of time to look up abbreviations if they're used alot. Also, there's the danger of misinterpreting or misunderstanding the abbreviation. A simple one is I&D, does it mean incision and drainage or irrigation and debridement? Often you can tell from the context, but sometimes you can't......S&S could mean swish and spit OR it could mean swish and swallow. AC could mean three different chemo combinations (Adriamycin with either cyclophosphamide, carmustine, or cisplatin). For an outstanding resource to help you, I highly recommend a little book that I constantly use called "Medical Abbreviations by Neil M. Davis. He updates it all the time and you can order right over the Internet. Website: www.medabbrev.com (I think it costs around $17.) Neil lists some horror stories at the front of the book of how healtcare workers misinterpreted abbreviations and endangered the patient. He has a little section printed on the front cover that says..."73 YO WDWNAAF BIBA admitted to CPETU c/o PND & DOE. TBNA in EDTU last wk for CP relieved by NTG. Prev Adm for PTCA 1986, IATT 1997, & LARS 1999. ATSO Dr. Jones." I've been transcribing for over 30 years, and it would still take me quite some time to decipher that! (Can you imagine if it was an ER situation and they were trying to get the patient's history in a hurry?? Yikes!!) So thats some of the rationale behind spelling things out. Hoped it help, Mercy!
MedTrans
on 1/31/04 1:03 am - Cleburne, TX
Topic: RE: Hi, everyone!!
Susan, Welcome to the MT message board. I think it's pretty nifty, too. "Licked his way into the bladder" is as bad as my "the patient was raped (draped) in the usual sterile manner." LOL Aren't we just a hoot!!! I will be praying for you on the day of your surgery. You won't regret it...I am sure. If you have ever been to an AAMT conference and looked around, you'd seem more than just a few of us that have the "big booty syndrome" going on. In fact, most of us are overweight.....gee...I wonder why LOL
MedTrans
on 1/31/04 12:59 am - Cleburne, TX
Topic: RE: Just starting
Hi there, I also love helping new MTs get started, so if you need any help, let me know. There's lots of websites and resources on the net for MTs that I can tell you about. Welcome to the message board. Take Care, Teresa 333/185/150ish 150 lb +/- gone for good!!
MedTrans
on 1/31/04 12:55 am - Cleburne, TX
Topic: RE: Abbreviations
I can understand having to type out "history," but not p.r.n. But you can easily take care of that problem if you have an expander program or even in your auto correct if you use Word or quick correct if you use WordPerfect. Just type in hx and have it expand to history. Also, add prn and have it expand to the proper p.r.n. with the periods. Expander programs are great. I use Abbreviate with my job right now, but I have used several others that are great to. Shorthand is another good one, especially if you use it in conjunction with MedBrain. Basically, though, if the doctor dictates "as needed," you should type "as needed." If he says p.r.n., you should type p.r.n. But this is up to each site...they all have their acceptable abbreviations.
MedTrans
on 1/31/04 12:49 am - Cleburne, TX
Topic: RE: What was your funniest dictation?
That's too funny about the sausage. What guys won't do to try to impress us, huh? When I worked at our local hospital (which I still do on a p.r.n. basis), we were forever getting men in the ER with foreign objects lodged in their rectums. What is up with that? I mean REALLY weird things....like candles and cucumbers.....I would be SO embarassed, those items would just have to stay their until the cows came home....whenever that is. LOL
kimlasavio
on 1/30/04 11:59 pm - Ione, CA
Topic: RE: Fellow MT/QA person for 29 years!
Hi Susan, I know what you mean about finding a new career. I went back to college about five years ago, and I really enjoy the academic life. I don't know if I'll ever be able to totally quit transcribing - something has to pay the bills, and my chosen academic field (music) is not exactly a high income career producer, especially for someone my age. But, I love it, and it gives me that people outlet you mentioned. I have thought about being a student forever, because I enjoy it so much. Fortunately, I can transcribe when I have time and make enough to get by and still keep up with my studies. Maybe you should try going back to school! Best wishes, Kim
kimlasavio
on 1/30/04 10:39 pm - Ione, CA
Topic: RE: What was your funniest dictation?
Oh, this is a good thread! For some reason, the one that sticks in my mind is from way back in the late 70s or early 80s during the disco craze, and a patient came into the ER after an auto accident with a large sausage taped to his upper inner thigh under his stretch gold lame pants, apparently trying hard to impress the ladies with his, um, size. I remember the ER doc going into great deatil about the taping job, where it was applied, how the guy hadn't shaved his leg first, and how they removed it, as if it was a procedure report or something, all serious business and never a snicker... Then there was the woman wandering the streets of San Francisco naked; she told the police officer she was a German Shepherd, was married to the pope, was Jesus Christ, that she was naked because her wheels had fallen off, and that she needed some chili to eat. Just a normal day for the San Francisco PD, probably. I love doing ER notes! Kim
Susan I.
on 1/30/04 10:34 pm - -, GA
Sounds like an exciting time in your life, Kim! Getting used to all the wonderful changes surgery brings, plus learning medical terminology and keyboarding must give you all sorts of -phorias and -algias (look them up up . I can't wait to hear more about your progress with your weight and your MT'ing. Susan InGA
Susan I.
on 1/30/04 10:29 pm - -, GA
Topic: Hi, everyone!!
This is a great idea; I hope more MTs join. I'm pretty sure there are more than a few overweight MTs who are looking at this surgery. I can tell I'm distracted; I've been catching little QA errors here and there, thankfully before the reports are sent off (like transcribing "The urologost licked his way into the bladder" (instead of "looked"). Eww. Anyway, my surgery is a week from Tuesday, 2/10, and I'd appreciate any positive thoughts that day. And I'm looking forward to visiting here. Susan InGA 250s/preop 2/10/2004
kimlasavio
on 1/30/04 10:28 pm - Ione, CA
Hi Karin, I'd be happy to help any way I can. I like helping new MTs get started. Just ask! Best of luck, Kim
Most Active
Recent Topics
Introduction with question.
KellyJTn · 0 replies · 396 views
Penn Foster?
maryjones1 · 0 replies · 794 views
DO NOT GO TO WORK FOR SPHERIS
NCMT · 3 replies · 529 views
Second hand career step books
agoodman · 5 replies · 1057 views