Morning gents!

My Stats:

High weight: 296 
Weight at initial consult 1-19-2012: 269  
Weight at surgery 4-23-12: 230  
Last week: 175
This week: 174
Total weight lost: 95  

A good morning to you all! I hope everyone is happy and healthy and enjoying their day. I am pleased to report that I have started putting together the Men's Forum FAQ. My hope is that new folks will have a resource they can go to and we can share some of what we have learned all available 24/7. It can be found here:  docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit

This is different than other FAQs that are available on our subject, all man-speak, in our own words and none of the weepy drama found elsewhere on these boards!

I have put a couple of subjects up: Tim T's Secrets to Success and an great Q and A started by Mark.

I am going to sift through older posts and pull out some nuggets, I also respectfully request that more veterans follow Tim's lead and make their own post about how they have achieved success. It would also be fantastic if more folks could post to Marks 10 questions with their own spin, should be interesting and fun to see the responses.  It can be found here, second post down:   http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/4567467/Sunday-Morning -Weigh-In/ 

I am down a pound this week, flirting right around the 175 mark. I made it to the gym one day this week but have been straying off track more... must refocus. I am pleased with where I am, this is below my NUTs and surgeons prediction... would like to get down lower for a little cushion.

Busy getting outside projects finished up, planting bulbs and trying to prep the compound for winter.

Hope you all have a great week, please contribute to the FAQ!

Brian

Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
billmacc7
on 9/23/12 7:09 am - MA
Good Evening Gents,

The Wrap Sheet:

346: All time high 7/1/10 - BMI = 52
326: Tufts Medical Center, Surgery 12/27/10 BMI=49
197: Last Weigh In 9/2/12
198: This Week 9/23/12 -->Up 1 lb
150: Total Weight Loss

As I have not weighed myself in a couple of weeks, very happy to be at 198. My overall goal is to stay below 200 as I am in the maintenance phase of my journey.

As I posted last week, had been a little bummed about my eating habits, as I had fallen in to some old patterns of poor eating choices. This past week has been much better. Overall, I try to use my mindful eating tips I learned as I prepped for surgery during the day. Even if I make a poor choice, I try not to let it bum me out and just try to do better on my next choice.
This thing is a Marathon, not a sprint and changing years of bad habits with healthier and better choices is a daily challenge that I am willing to meet head on!!

A great FART this week. I have been running and have done about 1/2 dozen 5K's. Yesterday, I did my first one with my wife. She was nervous and afraid she would not finished but we ran together and finished in 39:04. The feeling I had looking at how proud she was of herself was priceless. That is a great benefit of being healthier as I am able to help those I love the most!!
Thanks for letting me share and stay accountable to this journey!  

Hope all of you have a nice week...

Yours in WLS,
Bill 

kenhud1
on 9/23/12 7:13 am - Houston, TX
Highest: 407 lb
Surgery: 5/17/10
Last week: 191.6 lb
This week: 191.2 lb
Fluctuation this week: .4 lb
Total lost: 215.8 lb

First, Brian, thanks for starting the FAQs. This should be a great resource for all of our members. As for sifting through our previous posts looking for gems of wisdom....well, just be pretty liberal in your definition of "gems." And remember, when panning for gold, you run across a lot of rocks.

I'm nearly the same as last week, down .4 lbs, so overall a good week. Although I hit the gym only once this week, I took advantage of the nice weather instead walking every day through my lunch and most evenings as well. We don't get too much non-stifling days in Houston, so we try to take advantage of the 10 mild days we get each year!

Headed out on a bit to watch a nephew's first soccer game. First graders, so it should be interesting.

Have a great week, guys.
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Tim T.
on 9/23/12 8:49 am - Eastham, MA
Stats: 9/23/2012  Highest Weight: 315  Start Weight: 1/1/2011 305  Tufts Start Weight- May 2011: 285  Surgery Weight-7/5/2011: 265  Weight last Sunday Weigh-in: 167  Current Weight: 165 Goal Weight: 170ish Lbs. lost/gained this week - 2 Total loss from Start Weight: 140 LBS. 

Morning!!

I have been battling a hellish head cold/sinus deal all week. It hit me at midnight on Tue. and it was like flipping a light switch. Between all the liquid refreshment going down the back of my throat constantly and the ephedrine based anti-histamine, my appetite has been in the ****ter - hence the unanticipated weight loss. I was not able to run until last night, but I felt good enough to grind out 7 1/2 miles. This is, incidentally, my lowest recorded weight since my start date.(or for as long as I can remember, for that matter) I didn't think there was anything left in the tank, but I guess I was wrong.

I haven't checked out the links for the FAQ yet, but I will surely be bookmarking them. I'm curious how many peeps are hitting this site daily- we should have a shout out post just to see! I visit the RNY forum out of sheer curiosity, but as Brian stated, the drama over there is typically at fever pitch constantly.  I commend him for attempting a kick start of interest regarding our collective journey, and will contribute as appropriate. I just can't see the point of an off topic ramble just for the sake of posting, and I am at a point where I have relatively few questions and serious issues ongoing (or any other complication for that matter- unless you consider a gut cramp because there is a deuce heading down the pipe a major topic for posting a thread) therefore my objective is to dispense any valuable info I can provide to the new guys. But the new guys are going to have to ask!!

More chores than I care to get done today, and the Pats are primetime tonight on ESPN, I've got filet mignon and scallop/shrimp kabobs lined up on the menu tonight - hopefully that will kickstart the appetite!

First half-marathon next Sunday, at noon, so I'll need some encouragement next week! Until; then,

Tim T.

MarkES
on 9/23/12 9:28 am - Oshawa, Canada
Great idea Brian... Thank you!

Ref Jul 4, 2012,  Orientation Aug 27,  Surgeon Aug 31, RD Sept 18,  SW RD & RN Oct 18, Internist Nov 5, Surgeon Nov 21,  PATTS Nov 29, Surgery Dec 14,2012 (HRRH - Dr Sohi).

Don 1962
on 9/23/12 2:11 pm
331.0: All time high 3/10/08
321.0: Surgery day 4/7/08
184.0: GOAL!! 1/13/09
173.0: 1 yr Surgiversary 4/7/09 and at 18 months
171.5: 2 yr Surgiversary (Dr. scales)
175.5: 3 rd Surgiversary (his scales in shorts and t-shirt)
170.2: 4 th Surgiversary
170.0: Last week
170.2: This week

Weekend has stank and not in a good way! 

Original plan for yesterday was to do yard work but I had the Mule to srping a leak running all the coolant out.  New clamp and refill it but had air trapped in system and same problem.  It's under warranty so go get the flat bed trailer, Starbucks gold card and fiance' and head 41 miles to where I bought it at.   Get there and when I came back out to unload it the truck, 93 Ford 1/2 ton, is spewing forth as well.  Hose, thermostat, cracked head I don't know.  I am the pits as a mechanic.  Wound up putting truck on a roll back and pulling trailer back with wrecker.  No coffee or yard work getting done.  Did manage to go back and pick up some raw cotton off the ground for the fiance' to send to her school teacher sister in Colorado to show her kiddos.

Today, most of day in Tyler at Sam's and running Sunday errands.  Did manage to get coffee today!  

It was not pretty but the Cowboys did win.  Only got to see about three minutes when we were at my brother's house dropping off his Sam's load but listened to most of it on radio when running around.

Going to "preflight" my company car, line it up to go out in the morning then go take a walk.  Work, sick fiance' and even a little rain messed up my getting too many of them in last week. 

Sorry for *****ing so much.  Guess I'm getting cranky in my old age!  I have another reason I could bring up but I'm going to be a gentleman! 

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Brian K.
on 9/23/12 4:51 pm - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
Sorry to hear you did not get any "me" time over the weekend Don... Sometimes that happens! I find myself either working, sleeping, or taking care of others' needs too most of the time. Hope your mule and truck are going to be OK, guy has to have his toys. Tomorrow is a new day!
Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
OldmanJim
on 9/23/12 3:03 pm - AZ
High Weight:  341 on 4-4-12
Surg Weight:  313 on 5-17-12
Last Week:     242
Today:          238

As usaul a good post Brian.  I think it's a great idea to have Mens Forum FAQ.  There are so many subjects that pertain to men that are never breached on the main forum.  As I am still a newbie here I look forward to all the insight.

Just a short comment this week as I am still recovering from my second surgery.  On Weds I celebrated my biggest "FART" yet.  I finally reached 100 lbs lost.  I still can't believe that it was accomplished in just 5 1/2 months.  I have no real goal as my surgeon said that losing 100 lbs. would be good.  I originally wanted to get to 220, but now I'm thinking that 190 sure would look good at my 50th high school reunion next Aug.

As far as my chest pain goes, it's still there.  My cardiologist says it isn't the heart, my pulomnary doctor says it's not my lungs, and my surgeon says he didn't see any hernia or ulcer between the two procedures he performed on me last week that would cause my chest pain.  I'm starting to think I must be a nut case.  Well, it will be back to my PCP to see if they can determine if I have a problem with my ribs or cartilage.  Something is there because I have increased pain the more I use my arms or when I lift things.  We'll see what happens.

Exercise is limited as I can only walk till I see the surgeon on Oct 2nd.

Jim 
Brian K.
on 9/23/12 10:30 am, edited 9/23/12 10:32 am - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
Jim, I am sorry you are still having difficulty. Do they have you on an acid reducer? Any chance you strained a seldom used muscle with your new-found freedom?

An interesting thing happens whenever I tell someone I have had WLS... They tell me all kinds of horror stories about side effects etc but I have not had any issues... They cannot believe anyone can have the surgery without issue. I feel for you, I feel a little guilty because I am very fortunate. I wish you the best and a fast recovery.
OldmanJim
on 9/23/12 7:04 pm - AZ
Thanks for reponding Brian.  The only drug I take for my stomach is Nexium.  After my RNY I was taken off of Zantac.  If it's a strained muscle, it's got to be the slowest healing injury I've ever had.  LOL  This thing is 2 months old and wouldn't you think one of these doctors would have come up with something with all these tests they have performed on me?

I didn't have any trouble other than constipation my first 2 months after RNY.  I've NEVER thrown up.  Beats me.

Jim
Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 32 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 32 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 68 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 92 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In