Where is everybody?

Trent R.
on 1/18/13 12:08 am - Yukon, OK
Revision on 12/24/12
I remember when I used to come here every day a few years ago, it was difficult to keep up with all the posts. Now, it is very slow. Did you all go to another forum or are you just not using this anymore? C'mon, what are you all up to today? Leave a comment or start a new thread with just your random thought for the day. "One liners accepted".

“In case you never get a second chance: don't be afraid!" "And what if you do get a second chance?" "You take it!” ― C. JoyBell C.

brock2006
on 1/18/13 12:11 am

You are preaching to the choir, my friend.  Look at the last 5-6 topics.  They are all me.  Not much activity here, it seems.  The sunday weigh-in is the only thread that carries much weight around here, it seems.  Kind of a bummer.

Sam LifeNerd
on 1/18/13 12:18 am

I think you will notice a cycle here for all WLS guys.. pre surgery, we all want as much info as possible, I was reading posts 2 and 3 years old!!

Post surgery, we are hurting and talk about it...

A couple months out, probably the most exciting period of our weight loss, we are in LOVE with the scale (unless we are in a plateau and we are afraid we are done losing weight.)

By the time you get to 1 year, the posts are more about, "Hey I just ran a 5k...or look I fit in the airplane/rollercoaster seat" etc!! 

After that... eventually the surgery becomes less important on our day to day lives... we are spending more time thinking about other things (usually all those new hobbies, bike rides, hiking, running, etc.) and it just does not occur to us to think about it every day.

The guys on here 2+ years out.. are usually pretty experienced and they post when they see a need for help or to answer a question.

So just a part of the cycle... I don't know if the "newbies" are not as active as the "last generation" of WLS patients...?  I know MY posting has gone way done (15-16 months out from surgery now), but I lurk and read almost every post.  I just don't reply to most unless I think I can add....kinda like to this post!   :)

Just in the lull of the cycle...not sure if we are just seeing less guys having surgery or they don't know about this part of the board or...

Sam

brock2006
on 1/18/13 12:20 am

I think there aren;t as many male newbies on the OH website anymore.

ShrinkingJoe
on 1/18/13 12:50 am

So true.  I'm just over two years and followed that pattern.  I lost my weight and now I am out enjoying my life.

Plus men don't talk as much and there are many fewer of us out there.  When last I checked, 80% of RNY patients were female...

Don 1962
on 1/18/13 5:21 am

Facebook has almost killed OH, period.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

cabin111
on 1/21/13 10:05 am, edited 1/21/13 10:06 am

Guilty!!  Sorry I haven't been around...I do look and try to respond as needed.  I have a crazy schedule now, so I have to prioritize my time.  I work a few nights and have an hour+ commute at other sites (and I'm getting older).  If it's an important post I am on it...lighter stuff I just pass it bye.

A couple things are different from when I had my surgery 6+ years ago.  When I had mine it was very new and strange thing.  Yeah, you had stomach stapling over the years, but gastric bypass was a new concept.  I remember when my dad had heart bypass at Stanford Hospital in the late 70's.  He was about the 10th person in the nation to have it..."You're going to take a vein from your leg and put it on your heart"!!  Oh and you'll stop the heart for an hour or two and then restart it...!!!  Are you nuts!!  Wacko!!  Now we think nothing of it.  I think the same could be said about gastric bypass.  Walk into a large meeting of people (over 100) and I'm sure 3 or 4 have had it done.  When I first had it done major issues were popping up that the surgeons didn't expect or know...It was a trial and error and your life depended on it.  I would go to support groups or be online here at OH and see new issues come up daily and I mean daily.  My surgeon walked into the local support group and said 2 RNY patients had come down with Beri Beri!!  We were freaking out (vitamin B-1 deficency...That is why you take your B complex).  Now you can go to friends, family, neighbors, and coworkers to get information about these surgeries.  Just trying to share how it has changed.  We are still here.  And every few weeks or months I'll post my siren song on the Main, VSG, and RNY boards...An invite to come on over with the link.  We make this board what it is...

Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 34 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 34 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 61 views
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 85 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 96 views