Home just 2 hours now - not feelin so well

takingcontrolguy
on 12/13/13 4:34 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/10/13 with

Had an RNY on Tuesday. Three nights in the hospital because my vitals didn't want to stabilize so well.  The numbers all looking better but I feel like hell. This was my first experience with surgery outside of a UPP for sleep apnea six years ago. I don't recall feeling this badly and hurting so much.

billmacc7
on 12/13/13 10:56 am - MA

It sounds like a cliche, but it gets better. I am almost 3 years out but remember it was def tough at 1st. Just do your best to do the following; REST, HYDRATE, PROTEIN...repeat and it will get better!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

takingcontrolguy
on 12/15/13 4:29 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/10/13 with

Thanks for the advice, I don't know why I thought my recovery would be easier.  Better every day following all the rules, rest, hydrate, protein and WALK! I have some serious gas pocket pain going on. 

Mike R.
on 12/13/13 1:17 pm - Warner Robins, GA

I'm assuming that you had laparoscopic RNY.  If so, the CO2 that the surgeon pumps into your abdomen to make room to maneuver the instruments probably is still causing your discomfort.  Walking will help move the gas around to get expelled.  Also, walking minimizes the chance for blood clot formation in your legs which can dislodge and cause serious problems including pulmonary embolism.  Don't overdo it but just walk as much as you can.  A short walk every couple of hours that you can extend a little farther with each walk is fine.

If you see ANY blood in your stool, vomit blood, or run a fever, call your surgeon immediately.  Try to drink as much water as you can - goal of 64 oz per day.  Otherwise, like Bill Mac said the discomfort should subside within 7 to 10 days.

Good luck!  You're in for the ride of your life!

-Mike

HW: 392 lbs SW: 377.5 lbs
          CW: 215 lbs GW: 190 lbs

takingcontrolguy
on 12/15/13 4:33 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/10/13 with

Thank you for your guidance! Feeling better ever day and some of the gas has subsided but then there are times like last night trying to sleep with what felt like a knife in my lower left side from gas. I'm assuming it's gas because getting up and walking around makes it go away briefly then it comes back. It's different from the "surgery" pain that gets better every day. It's been gone now for about five hours so I hope it doesn't come back. None of the other symptoms you describe.

MickeyDee
on 12/14/13 3:30 am

If you have pain, take your pain meds.  Nobody gets a big gold star for suffering.

The walking will help to move internal gas to the exterior.  Get a dog to explain the smell!

Most Active
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 0 replies · 5 views
Recent Topics
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 0 replies · 5 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 40 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 73 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 98 views