Hunger and Malabsorption

RNYGuyPA
on 4/20/14 10:58 am
RNY on 12/27/13

For those of you a few years out at or around your goal - and maintaining the majority of your weight loss - Did you regain your feelings of hunger and if so, when did this happen?  Also, did you malabsorption scale back and are you now able to absorb most of you calories?  Is it like reverting back to pre-surgery?

I've read a few articles and worry about 2 or 3 or 5 years out and some of the challenges I will face.  Curious to hear some of the 2+ year out guys and what your experience has been with hunger and malabsorption.  Seems like most of the guys on this board in the Men forum are having success and especially the guys a few years out.  Would love to hear from you.  Thanks.

6' 2"     HW: 405      SW: 352      CW: 276      GW: 225

Trendweight

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

cabin111
on 4/21/14 4:18 am

7+ years...My hunger has never come back.  It doesn't mean I don't carve things...I carve chocolate and chips (salty crunch).  But the hunger pains (pangs) are not there.  One thing that does happen is you get this "not full" feeling.  With that not full feeling come a drop in your blood sugar level.  You can tell your energy is starting to drop...Before it was candy time, but not now.  Now I will grab some plain nuts, or have a spoonful of Wendy's Chili (with cheese) and I'm good for a couple of hours.  One of the issues with RNY is you need more protein, but the simple carbs (chips, candy) get absorbed more completely.  That is why you try and not go back to simple carbs for as long as you can.  The stop the weight loss in its tracks and you start to crave them.  They are also very addicting (remember pre op).  What I do (no poster child here), is I try and eat really really good food (healthy; plain vegetables, nuts, Wendy's Chili, tuna salad) throughout the day.  But I add to that my cravings for junk food.  I also exercise which balances my demons of junk food.

The malabsorption does scale back over the years.  When I go to the coffee shop I will grab a cup of soup and some hot or ice tea.  If I get a meal, 2/3 will be taken home to be eaten over the next couple of days.  Hope this helps.  Brian 

RNYGuyPA
on 4/21/14 8:37 am
RNY on 12/27/13

Thanks Brian - this is great info and I appreciate you sharing.

Trendweight

Mike R.
on 4/21/14 9:22 am - Warner Robins, GA

Coming up on 5 years this August.  I don't get the same hunger pains that I had pre-op but I do get hungry if I don't eat protein every 3-4 hours.  I didn't get hungry at all until about the 10th month post-op.  I literally had to set an alarm to remind me to eat.  Eating well - high protein, low carb foods - will like Brian said stave off the blood glucose swings.  Those swings are triggers to cause you to want to snack on more that cause even more swings becoming a vicious circle.

Your jujenum will learn how to process carbs to the same efficiency that your duodenum did in about 18 months.  Sadly, not to the same efficiency for protein and some vitamins/minerals.  This is why we must compensate by getting our daily alotmnet of proteins, multivitamins, and calcium for the rest of our lives.

Work the program and you will be fine - protein first, daily multivitamins/calcium, water, and exercise.

Good luck & if you have any more questions, we're here to help!

- Mike

HW: 392 lbs SW: 377.5 lbs
          CW: 215 lbs GW: 190 lbs

RNYGuyPA
on 4/22/14 10:02 pm
RNY on 12/27/13

Thanks Mike.  I'm curious, how tall are you.  I started out almost the same size and my goal is 225, but I'm thinking I might be able to go lower.  Maybe I should aim for 200 or 215.

Trendweight

Mike R.
on 4/23/14 9:52 am - Warner Robins, GA

I'm 5'10" without shoes.  My surgeon told me when I had my RNY that I should lose down to 210 lbs.  I told him then that my goal was 190.  Well, I never got below 210.5 lbs - 21 months post-op.  The past 2 1/2 years I've focused more on building muscle mass than losing more weight.  My percent body fat has been steady at 19 to 20% and my weight fluctuates between 217 and 224 lbs.  So, I don't get too worried until I break the 225 lbs mark or the 20% body fat.

Bottom line is don't obsess too much over a number.  Monitor your numbers but improved health is the goal - resolution of diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, etc. are much more important to improve your quality of life.

HW: 392 lbs SW: 377.5 lbs
          CW: 215 lbs GW: 190 lbs

RNYGuyPA
on 4/23/14 10:33 am
RNY on 12/27/13

My doc had similar advice - don't focus on the number, but think about the improvements in your health.  I'm at about 32% body fat so I'm hoping with another 50 pounds or so of weight loss, I'll be closer to 20%.  Thanks for sharing - I appreciate the advice.

Trendweight

billmacc7
on 4/22/14 11:56 pm - MA

I am now about 3 1/2 years Post Op. Like the other two posts said, hunger and malabsorption do occure post op. For me, hunger is very deceptive. At times I get head hunger, meaning I think I am hungry when it is actually being thirsty or bored. I have to distinguish that type of hunger with true physical hunger, meaning my body needs food. It is something I continue to try to learn to understand.

As far as Malaborption, I am not a doctor but from all the research I have done it does occur. The time frame is not specifically noted,but some time after surgery your body begins to absorb food and calories that early after surgery it does not do fully.

In light of this that is why the 1st year to me is so important so you can learn new eating and exercise habits that will enable you to reach and maintain your goal weight...

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

RNYGuyPA
on 4/23/14 10:36 am
RNY on 12/27/13

Thanks Bill - I appreciate the info.  Still no hunger yet and I have been careful to really ask myself Am I really hungry or is that just a craving to snack.  So far so good, but I worry about the future and can I stay on track.  

Trendweight

Don 1962
on 4/24/14 11:17 am

You changed your avatar pic!

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 28 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 28 views