only 3 lbs lost in June ?

Ohiodietguy
on 6/28/15 5:14 am

Hello Everyone,

I am grateful for everyone who posts here!

Thanks to everyone who shares their progress!  In early June, I met with the nutritionist at the weight loss center. She told me to start counting carbs and have 100 carbs per day and start eating on a paleo diet.  So I have been eating protein, vegetables, fruit and added back in oil. Before meeting with her I was drinking 2 protein shakes per day and eating a "lite" or low calorie meal. At the  beginning of the month I weighed 317 and today weigh 314.

I have to admit I have  lost a lot of motivation to continue and have not been dieting for the past  4 days. The nutritionist also advised to cook vegetables in coconut oil. Supposedly coconut oil makes you lose weight more quickly?  Really not blaming the nutritionist, it is just with the recommended food plan I have only lost 3lbs in 28 days?

Also I have a weight loss history of hitting a plateau and just not being able to get past the plateau. So it seems like I have the plateau and I am stuck at 314?  Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I think I am going back to 2 protein shakes per day and a low calorie meal at dinner. I am hoping to have RNY by Nov or December.

When I read about your stories and how much weight you have lost post surgery that motivates me to continue. Also can you tell me how to add the banner to my profile that shows the wegith loss history?  I hope everyone has lost a lot of weight this week! :)

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

Qajohn
on 6/28/15 6:22 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Let me start by saying, we are all amatures here. We speak from a position of experiance and not expertise. 

Anyway, what I beleive is that weight loss is not linear. Your body doesn't want to lose weight since it needs that fat for emergencies. Your mind doesn't want to change the weigh you eat sicne it provides all sorts of hormones that make you feel good. In other words, losing weight is outright war.

Your body will adapt to its cir****tances by becoming more efficient. Additionally, as you lose weight, you need less calories at rest, so you will lose weight a little slower. 

I'm not sure if you've had surgery yet, and if you've had surgery what type. In any case, here are some suggestions:

1) Track everything. Every bite. Every sip. Get a good kitchen scale and weigh your food. If you go out, take a small measuring cup. Use an app like Myfitnesspal or something similar to track all your calories and macros (fat, protein and carbs)

2) Drink like you'll never drink again. I try to drink at least 80 oz of water a day, and most days I drink more. 

3) Move. You don't need to be a gym rat, but just be a little more active every day. It doesn't matter if you walk, run, swim, lift...anything will do

You'll get past the plateau. It will take a little time. 

Regarding the ticker; go to the MyOH link, then click on health tracker. You can find the ticker there. 

Good luck, and keep your chin up. #3 lost is way better than 3# the other way. 

Dan1962
on 6/28/15 10:53 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

My pre-op diet consisted of cutting out carbs and getting portions under control.  My nutritionist had me write down what I ate typically for a week (about 3,500 calories per day and 200 grams of carbs) and then we went though it and made changes.  First she had me cut carbs way down, to less than 60 grams.  I was eating a bagel everyday with egg and cheese typically, a sandwich or sub for lunch and a protein with baked potato at night for dinner.  I dropped the bagel and added yogurt, then a cheese snack later, no carbs for lunch, added a protein snack in the afternoon, and dropped the potato at dinner,  I dropped from 336 to 306 in a few months.  My calories dropped but the carbs were big as I would burn fat when I was active not carbs.  It really works, and its completely worth the effort.  It will help you down the road too.  Good luck. 

Ohiodietguy
on 6/28/15 12:34 pm

Hi QAJohn and Dan1962

thanks for responding 

I appreciate the advice!

JfromLA
on 6/30/15 8:28 am
VSG on 09/01/14

Hang in there man, I just started posting again today after being in a plateau for 2 months, I ate 500 calories a day at 340 lbs and could not lose weight, you can imagine . Turned out to be leafy greens, I cut all carbs and lost 44 pounds in the last 4 weeks. YMMV, everyone is different. Just keep an eye on the numbers and see what works for you, Paleo stalled me, but it might work for you. Good luck! 

VSG 09/01/2014 HW 550 SW 550 CW 272 GW 170

Ohiodietguy
on 6/30/15 1:38 am, edited 6/30/15 1:39 am

JfromLA:  Congrats for losing so much weight! Was your start weight 550?

Thanks for the response. I  know that would be extremely frustrating to be stuck at 340 and only eating 500 cals per day!

especially post surgery.  I guess counting carbs must make all of the difference. Right now I am back to protein shakes twice per day.

Thanks have a good day!

JfromLA
on 6/30/15 9:53 am
VSG on 09/01/14
On June 30, 2015 at 8:38 AM Pacific Time, Ohiodietguy wrote:

JfromLA:  Congrats for losing so much weight! Was your start weight 550?

Thanks for the response. I  know that would be extremely frustrating to be stuck at 340 and only eating 500 cals per day!

especially post surgery.  I guess counting carbs must make all of the difference. Right now I am back to protein shakes twice per day.

Thanks have a good day!

@Ohiodietguy, Yup, 550 was my highest recorded weight, day of surgery. I was not required to do any dieting program, I only took a 20 minute nutrition class. As I've said carbs for ME me stall, but I've had metabolic syndrome, diabetes and CHF for years, your case might be different. Just something to keep in mind.

VSG 09/01/2014 HW 550 SW 550 CW 272 GW 170

Tombocom
on 7/2/15 7:51 am
RNY on 04/28/15

Hang in there, and plateaus are a way of life for me.  I'll lose two pounds, hang there for a week, lose 3 pounds, stay there for a week or so, and so on...  While it makes me nuttier than squirrel poo, it seems to be the way my system works.

I recommend and second the website/app MyFitnessPal.  NOTHING goes in my (formerly) pie-hole without being tracked on that app.  It gives you absolutely everything you need, including macro-nutrients.  And the basic part of it is free.  I don't pay for their "premium" part... I see no need for that unless the Doctor needs a detailed report of everything they have.

My longest plateau was at the 277 weight.  I lost 14 pounds pre-surgery at the Dr's order; Surgery weight was 310.  8 days after surgery:  294.  I was losing weight like a CHAMP!! A month in:  277.  AND I STUCK there... No matter what I did exercise-wise, I stayed there.

The vets here called it "The Stall".  Danged if they weren't right.  But my weight loss started again, and just now 8 weeks out, I've lost about 60, and am accepting of the stair-step weight-loss I have.  

My advice:  Practice a little self Compassion and realize that starting the journey is the hardest part of this.  Rethink the roadblocks (or stalls).  Once I did that, I stopped obsessing.

Remember to eat your proteins first; chew slowly and don't drink while eating.  This is the hardest part for me! 

Hang in there, friend.  The scale will start to move again.

-Tom

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/15 8:56 pm

For a guy that hasn't even had the surgery, you've done fantastic. I use an app called myfitnesspal on my phone to track what I eat every day. It helps me make sure I'm getting enough protein (goal 120 to 150 grams) and limit carbs to under 125 grams or so per day. My weight loss varies often without rhyme or reason so I would recommend sticking to your plan. Eat lots of protein as it keeps you full and keeps the calories down. It also tastes good unlike greek yogurt and other options.

Try monitoring your steps every day. The app I mentioned will do it if you keep it in your pocket. Also tools like fitbot will do it. You'd be amazed at how some days you get it activity, and other day almost nothing unless you mnitor and work it just a little.

Neuras
on 7/12/15 10:19 pm

You guys are awesome!

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 28 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 28 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 64 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In