First Post

CoachB
on 12/1/16 10:12 am
VSG on 11/17/16

Well men I believe this is going to be one of the best decisions of my life.  Studied on getting the VSG for about two years then after a minor setback finally got it done.  I am 15 days post surgery and have lost 35lbs so far.  I'm here looking for advise and the camaraderie that comes from men joined by a cause.  Looking forward to this journey.    

Don 1962
on 12/1/16 3:19 pm

Howdy from E. TX!

Congrats on getting off to a great start! 

I can't speak to the particulars of the VSG since I had a RNY 8.5 years ago.

My best advice to any WLS patient you will find in my signature line.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

cabin111
on 12/3/16 10:44 pm

Just a few ideas if you are coaching sports (football).  As you get released to eating more foods you will want to remember that dehydration is the # 1 reason WLS patients reenter the hospital.  Keep sips sip sipping even while you coach.  Have things like raisins and banana chips in your pockets (potassium).  Maybe plain nuts (almonds and walnuts), rye crackers if you feel nauseous.  Also simple things in a container like cantaloupe, broccoli, oranges can help...Oranges are great for the liquid part and potassium.  You know what to look for when you see your players showing signs of dehydration...But when it happens to you, your not thinking about it...Busy working out plays, practice, or systems.  Just keep that one in the back of your mind.  Just saying to plan ahead on the snacks for blood sugar level, water, sodium, and potassium.  During the rapid weight loss you will fight for energy but it just won't be there.  The body is using fat cells (glycogen) for the energy use...Not very efficient for work and exercise...But you should drop the weight quickly.  And soon you will be able to move better and it becomes much more easier to coach.  I know you will be moving all the time.  But on down days...Just some (not intense) pickup basketball games (full court is best...With students or other teachers) to get you out there moving esp, if you are teaching classes also.  Good luck on your journey.  Brian 

CoachB
on 12/6/16 12:23 pm
VSG on 11/17/16

Man thanks so much for the advise.  I was worried about the hydration part of it and never even thought about the sugar and all. I will not be back on the field for a while as the season is over however I am currently doing basketball and will do softball in the spring.  Really appreciate the info.  

Jammur
on 12/4/16 6:03 am
VSG on 10/12/16

Welcome aboard!

This website has been so helpful for me, I hope you find it as helpful. Everyone I have met has been super supportive. You are on your way. Just remember, everyone's experience is a bit different, but the fundamentals are the same. For me, drinking enough water has been the biggest challenge. Keep up the good work!

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 28 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 28 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 64 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 86 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 96 views