So post op...What foods don't sit well with you??

cabin111
on 2/20/17 10:51 am, edited 2/20/17 10:53 am

We haven't asked this question in a while.  I'd encourage many of you vets to answer...Just to let us know you are still alive.

The first few years for me (RNY) was a lot of sugar, cream soups (oils), deep fried foods, soft serve ice cream, pork, bear.  All of these I can eat...And still eat 10 years out...Just in very small amounts.

I have only dumped (RNY) one time in my life...Cream soup and pork (bad combo).

I'll buy a soft serve ice cream cone (McDonalds) and of course I can't throw it away, I have to finish that thing!  My parents told me there are starving children in China!!  Now those kids (their middle and upper class) have imported US junk food (McDonalds, Pepsi, wine, beer, KFC, high fructose corn syrup) and are paying the price like we have been.

Mind you, over 10 years out...These foods don't make me sick...Maybe once a year I will throw up (besides the flu).  It's just they don't sit well in my pouch.  My heart will race and my pouch (small intestines) have that feeling like what I use to get from eating too much Chinese food pre surgery...That gurgling feeling down below.   I can eat anything.  It's just I know my limits and what doesn't sit well.  I just try and avoid those items in large amounts.

So what about you guys?  What do you avoid completely and what do you have, but limit (for health and sanity).  Brian 

82much
on 2/20/17 12:31 pm
VSG on 11/28/16

I am only three months out from VSG, but it seams I tolerate most things I have tried.  Beef and venison were the roughest, but within the last few weeks it is better.  Perhaps I am learning to chew more.  I completely avoid rice and bagels, two foods I used to really enjoy.  Hell, I enjoyed all food :-)   I tried a little and they swelled up in my sleeve which was extremely uncomfortable.  Throwin up?  I have on more than a few times.  Mainly because I ate too fast and didn't realize I was full.  This is probably the hardest part of WLS for me.  I have a ways to go, si I will be asking questions of you vets.

-b0b

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 2:52 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

I've been doing very well. All of the good food - i.e. high protein stuff I have tried - sits well. Eggs, beef, pork, poultry, beans, so on and so forth, all sit very well. The only things that have caused me stomach upset have been sugary foods and highly processed carbs. For example, I tried eating a doughnut. It made me miserable. I count that as a good thing. I am no longer tempted by doughnuts. I realize that may change, but by the time it does, I expect to be so far out from eating them that I won't be tempted. 

I can happily report that there has been no barfing at all since surgery. I had a couple bouts of intense nausea on the day after, and a couple lesser bouts two days after, but by the third day post-op, my stomach was fine. 

Its been too freaking cold here to even THINK about trying ice cream. I will probably try some this summer. Even then, I am going to be very careful, because sugar. I did have one bout of the Hershey Squirts all night long when I decided it might be fun to make a big cup - a really big cup - of Nestles Quik as hot chocolate.  That was bad enough that that won't be happening again. Ever.  

cabin111
on 2/20/17 4:27 pm

Hi Bill...Which surgery did you have??

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 4:47 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

Sorry, I forgot that part. I had VSG. 

Highfunctioningfatman
on 2/22/17 1:03 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

I tolerate everything that I've tried but 3 things sit "hard" on my stomach, chicken breast, cheddar cheese and tuna. I tried a small amount of dairy Queen soft serve and it sit fine but I had a huge sugar crash from it.

Gortzilla
on 2/23/17 5:28 am - Fremont, MI

I am almost 3 years out from VSG and still cannot have boiled eggs any other way is fine also no hotdogs 

Fredbear
on 2/23/17 9:20 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

So far (3 months) just things that are sugary. Thankfully it doesn't really appeal to me, so it's easy to refuse.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Most Active
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 0 replies · 4 views
Recent Topics
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 0 replies · 4 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 39 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 72 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 96 views