Yard work

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/18 5:30 am
VSG on 10/11/16

Since a number of us talk about yard work as a form of exercise, I thought I'd post a few pictures of what passes for yard work around here. We live on 5 1/2 acres in a 200 year old house. The property is overgrown in a number of places, and part of my efforts are directed toward taming that and maybe someday bringing it under control.

I like my machines, and if I can do something for myself, that is a plus. Last year I had opportunity to buy an old used chipper/shredder at a great price from a friend of mine. It runs off the PTO on my '63 Fordson and will allegedly handle a 5" log. I've tested it up to 3". Anything bigger gets cut for firewood.

For most people, mulching a flower bed means purchasing some mulch, and then spreading it out. Maybe you need to cart it to its new location in a wheelbarrow, etc. That's all good exercise. For me, mulching starts with a chainsaw and a copse of weed trees. For this particular episode I spent about half a day or so chopping down trees and sectioning them up to be more manageable. Then I had to move about five carts worth to the flower bed. Normally I'll run the chipper right where the trees come down, but this hill is too steep to safely park the tractor in its aged condition.

It was most of another day to grind the stuff up and spread it around. There's probably about two cubic yards of chips there. And I've got lots more to do - lots more weed trees and bushes, and plenty of places to put free mulch. It ain't quite as pretty as the stuff from the home center, but I like the color green that stays in my pocket. And doing all this stuff burns some serious calories in the process. There is no danger of finding my home featured in Better Homes and Gardens any time soon though.

Willie H.
on 5/19/18 6:27 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Wow, beautiful place!! That's what we call "living" Taking care of your place, working hard and benefiting from the fruits of our labor. The way we were created to live and enjoy life and family. No wonder you look so much slimmer than 260 lbs, hard work adds muscle and burns the fat away. Good job-keep it up

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/18 2:25 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

Thank you. It certainly helps me burn the calories!

Don 1962
on 5/20/18 6:54 am

You are putting "work" into yard work! Nice landscaping.

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/18 2:26 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

Thanks, but I think you are being generous with your compliment on our landscaping. Wild and wooly is sort of the theme right about now. But we will get it there eventually.

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 30 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 30 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 66 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 89 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 99 views