Maybe I'm doing something wrong or have unrealistic expectations

Willie H.
on 9/23/19 10:57 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Hey guys, figured I would come to the men's sight. Usually I post on the General Forum but perhaps I need more insight from a man's point of view and I like how you guys have weigh-ins and hold yourself accountable. My high weight was about 350 lbs, at surgery I was about 334 I think. My lowest I went to was 247 lbs!? It appears that many who weighed a lot more than I, have lost a lot more-some even in Onederland!? My goal was to be around 220 lbs or at least under 235 lbs. Lost weight pretty regularly and fast the first couple years but it appears that once I got to about 260 lbs my weight loss just crawled. Somehow, over the next couple years, eventually my weight crawled down to about 252-255 and has remained there for the last year and 1/2 or so. I do exercise-walking at least 10,000 steps per day, guess I could eat a little better keeping in mind a low carb and high protein diet with less calories. I'm ok and healthy where I am, and I'm not on any medicines. I realize with the VSG (I had in August 2014) I was only expected to lose about 60%-70% of the weight i needed but it just appears that so many others who have started at the same weight and even above have lost a LOT more weight. It could be age-related, I am 60 years old now and my metabolism runs slow and my testosterone runs low? Would really like to lose about 15-25 more lbs, even did intermittent dieting watching my caloric intake but it just appears my weight won't budge lower than 247 lbs??! The good thing is that it does not really go above 255 lbs. Anyway, gonna keep trying, make some adjustments, I may be counting my calories incorrectly. Sometimes i think this just may be my body's way of telling me this is the weight I should be, but then realize that is just my way of copping out, not taking accountability? Any ideas, suggestions?

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Don 1962
on 9/23/19 4:15 pm

Hi Willie!

Only thing I will suggest is go back to measuring your food like you did in the beginning. 10,000 steps is excellent! I walk on a treadmill 2-3 times a week and when it is yard work season all day on yard work on Saturdays counts!

Yes, age and testosterone levels could be factors. You can't help the age thing but you can get your testosterone checked to your own satisfaction. Thyroid ok? If you'll look at all of our profiles - ain't none of us Spring Chickens!

Please come join us on Sundays on the weigh in and bring some of your male friends with you! We could use an infusion of new participants. Some of the banter is lame and about routine things in life, sports, yard work, kids, grands, but we try to encourage each other where we can.

Don

Willie H.
on 9/24/19 7:11 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Thanks Don. "Routine" things ARE life, and anything in our lives I wouldn't really call "lame", (well I am a JETS fan and they ARE lame!) yes, it can be frustrating and make you pull your hair out (I have none to pull out anymore!) but it's the encouragement on the forum that moves us on! Weighing in on each Sunday is a good idea and maybe it's the boost I need that'll help me with an adjustment here or there.

Good idea to start weighing again, go back to the beginning, I'm sure I've gotten comfortable over the last 5 years and I am eating too much, and some of the wrong foods! So easy over time for bad habits to gradually sneak in on us again. Good time for me to start also since this is the time of year up to January that I struggle with-Football, Holidays, early darkness, etc.

So I hope to weigh in on Sunday!! Thanks!!!!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

DonRobbie
on 9/24/19 2:47 pm
DS on 12/18/18

How much weight you're going to lose is in part a function of what Surgery, in part your eating and lifestyle post op, and in part genetic luck o' the draw. In general, malabsorptive procedures (DS, RnY) will produce a higher loss than restrictive only procedures (Sleeve, Band).

I have a DS which is the "big gun" of weight loss surgeries. A typical DS patient will have an excess weight loss of 73-85% depending which study you read. I had a high weight a bit over 350 pounds, but at the time of surgery I was down to 300. I'm bouncing around in the 190s at the moment 9 months postop. Based on the "typical" results I could be near the end of my loss or have another 20 pounds to go. I have read people who have done much better than I have and people who have done worse. However much I lose I still have my "bounce back" coming (most folks regain some after the post surgery weight loss ends.

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/19 2:52 pm

First congrats on losing close to a c-note and getting in 10k steps a day. Most people don't achieve either of those.

I'm similar age to you, and that doesn't matter so much for your weight, especially given your exercise level. It's more a function of surgery type and your personal biome.

My suggestion would be to focus on the excellent successes you've had, and start tracking daily with a tool like MyFitnessPal to help keep yourself honest, and for early detection when things head south - which happens to all of us.

Willie H.
on 9/27/19 6:58 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Thanks. So true that we need to look at the successes we've had instead of dwelling on the negativity. 5 years and I'm still down almost a 100 lbs from before, and I'm healthy!! Gotta start using the tools we know of such as MFP, weighing food, eating less carbs and more protein, preparation and so forth. I'm also going to try Intermittent Fasting because it seems to be a lifestyle that I can sustain and helps with my caloric reduction. My lowest weight so far has been 247 lbs. Currently I'm at 252 lbs, my short goal is 235 lbs. Let's see what happened in the next few months?

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/19 11:06 am

I know a lot of people don't like intermittent fasting but I've always been a fan of it. It seems pretty natural to me, and helps balance out the intermittent overeating we all do.

Willie H.
on 9/29/19 5:37 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

"intermittent overeating we all do"

Willie H.
on 9/29/19 5:39 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

Willie H.
on 9/29/19 5:41 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 38 views
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 0 replies · 3 views
Recent Topics
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 0 replies · 3 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 38 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 71 views