Can herbal supplements help with mood and motivation?

Karlsen
on 1/24/17 10:40 am

Hello,

I have been struggling to control my weight and cravings for years now. My main problem is 'emotional eating' as my mood goes up and down, mostly down! I also have undiagnosed mild depression but not taking any medications for it. I always struggle to focus on what I'm doing and the motivation is non-existent for almost anything I do. I find it useless to try to lose weight before dealing with my mental problems first as I'll just gain it again.

I would like to know if there are any herbal supplements (non-prescription) that are effective and risk-free to help improve my mood and mental state?

Donna L.
on 2/8/17 3:27 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The greatest benefits for depression always come from counseling.  Even medication does not work as well.  I would get assessed in general, as depression can be a side effect of many illness or other conditions, too.  I would absolutely get counseling for emotional eating.  I did for many years, and that made a far more drastic difference than medication, though medication helps a lot, too, in my case.  I have major depressive disorder, though.

Any supplements also have risks; they are touted as not having any, but many herbs are basically drugs, too, of a sort (most drugs were developed from supplements).  I don't have expertise there, and I'm actually not against them either, but all substances whether herb or pill form are not risk free.  My friend who was actually a traditional herbalist would always tell her clients this.

Diet makes a big difference, too.  Diets lower in carbs are better for the brain and have been shown to help regulate moods.  Even with as 'high' as 100g/day max you might see benefits especially if you are eating sugar and stuff.  Food can definitely have mood affects.  

Food is the ultimate drug.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Rachel B.
on 2/17/17 10:59 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Herbal supplements are inconsistent and unproven.  Counseling is hard work, but it is the best method. 

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

J. Mahakrittiyadhorn
on 4/2/17 3:32 pm

I have the same problem and have found that medication as well as counseling help. I have found the most improvement with a Vitamin D supplement and a "happy light" both are natural sources of mood elevators. I would discuss it with a Dr as adding these with an misdiagnosed bipolar disorder can cause more problems. I would also evaluate your sleep. Sleep plays a huge part in mood regulation.

Good luck to you

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/19 8:00 am, edited 11/3/19 10:49 pm

I think so... I take different supplements, and they help me, I have to say. I think you should try them too. I recommend that you have a look at Canadian Pharmacy for them. I often get different pills for me from there, and it works really well

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 688 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 679 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 896 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1596 views