Using HSA/FSA funds for lap band surgery in Mexico

Lilybell
on 12/2/09 12:13 pm - St. Paul, MN

Hello, I have been researching various surgeons in Mexico that perform the LAP-BAND®® operation. I would like to have the surgery done in January 2010. I'm wondering if anyone out there has used their FSA/HSA funds to help pay for the surgery and if so, what dr. did you use? During open enrollment in November for 2010 benefits, I called the customer service line for ADP and the rep told me that it was covered, so I put in the full amount - $5000. I called back today to ask if I could use my card through paypal. She said I could not and that I would have to pay for the surgery up front and in order to get reimbursed I would need all invoices shown in $dollars as well as a letter from the doctor explaining that the surgery was a medical necessity. Well, I'm not dying, so it's not a necessity yet, but I'm not trying to wait until I get to that point. I was previously denied from my insurance because my BMI is only 39 and I do not have any co-morbidities. I am now resulting to self pay. I think this is ridiculous. Why does FSA pay for laser eye surgery when that's not a medical necessity, people can just wear glasses and contacts. Sorry, I'm just upset by the process that overweight people have to go through to get any help. Any information that you can share would be appreciated.

Eme 2009
on 12/3/09 12:44 am - FL
I'm having surgery in January also and my HSA will begin Jan.1.  I've never had one before so I hadn't thought about using it to pay for surgery, just for supplies and vitamins and such.  Also, my company doesn't put our funds in the HSA for a month or so after it starts so if I were to do it, I'd have to go the reimbursement route.  I'd be interested to hear what anyone else knows about this.  I have BCBSFL.

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

Michelle Smith
on 12/3/09 9:22 am
 I will be using my flex card for surgery (mine & my hubbys) I called flex, & was told that I could use my card at the hospital in Cancun (they take visa & mastercard) I will have to submit a letter of miedcal nec,which I have ready,just gotta fax it-My surgeon sent me the letter by email. It does have to show in USD. Other than that, I do not foresee any problems. My surgeon agreed to let me pay for it when I got there, no deposit. Hope this helps!

~~I am 5'8~~

Eme 2009
on 12/3/09 9:45 am - FL
Thanks! I'll have to check into this.

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

tonya4191
on 12/4/09 4:56 am, edited 12/4/09 4:57 am
Im using Dr.Almanza and yes Im using my flex card. I wasnt sure at first so I had Shirley take 10.00 off of the card just to make sure that it works. I contacted flex and they told me that I could use it as long as where ever Im using the card takes Visa, But not only do they have to except Visa, Their card machine has to have the code to allow them to take flex. Example: Nail shops wouldnt  have the code due to them not being able to qualify under Flex guidlines. My money will be on the Flex card on Jan 1st and my surgery is on Jan 8th.

Good Luck!!!!!
Lilybell
on 12/4/09 7:01 am - St. Paul, MN
Thank you for replying.  I've done a little further research on this and even though the flex card will be accepted as long as it is the VISA logo, I will get a notice from ADP (FSA account holder) asking for me to substantiate the claim that was charged.  According to IRS they will need back up since this is not a medical necessity.  This is where ADP has informed me that I need a letter from the doctor as well as all bills from the surgery and hospital showing the charges in English and US dollars.  This will then have to be submitted to ADP.  If I don't send them this information after the charges have incurred on the card then I am liable for paying the money back. If I don't pay the money back by the end of the year then they will report to the IRS and it is considered fraud.  I'm assuming that you have the same cir****tance since this is all federally mandated.  Is you doctor willing to give you the necessary information? 
Michelle Smith
on 12/4/09 11:51 am
 Yes, just ask your surgeon. They will email it to you. 

~~I am 5'8~~

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 256 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 445 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1060 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1626 views