No Insurance? CNN Health Report on Medical Tourism

MARIA F.
on 3/29/11 4:45 pm - Athens, GA

I just did a post on my WLS blog about medical outsourcing. Can those of you that have had you surgery in Mexico or are planning to post a comment on the blog and let me know how your experience has been going out of the country for WLS?

http://www.formerlyfluffy.com/no-insurance-cnn-health-report-on-medical-tourism/

No Insurance? CNN Health Report on Medical Tourism

With so many uninsured Americans, more and more people are turning to Medical Tourism (Medical Outsourcing), according to a recent CNN Health report.

Medical tourism: Have illness, will travel

Medical tourism is one of the hottest topics in health care as patients around the world are increasingly traveling abroad for treatment.

Josef Woodman, author of Patients Beyond Borders,a guide to medical tourism

told CNN that two to three million people travel outside their home country for treatment each year, while consultancy firm Deloitte calculates that 750,000 Americans traveled abroad for treatment last year.

The top regional destination for medical tourists is Asia, with Singapore, Thailand and India leading the way. Those countries are home to private health care chains that target international patients and are building modern, high-tech hospitals with a reputation for quality care.

FormerlyFluffy.com

baydoll
on 4/1/11 9:27 am - Ottawa, Canada
I am Canadian so my surgery would have been covered by our health-care. I chose to go to Mexico and self-pay for several reasons.....I had been waiting more than a year in Canada and I would not have a choice of surgery...RNY is most routinely done here and I preferred VSG. It was a wise decision on my part. Things are going extremely well and I have been complication-free. I chose to use medicaltourismco.com. Puerto Vallarta was my destination and Dr. Jose Antonio Casteneda Cruz was an amazingly wonderful surgeon. I would recommend this to anyone condidering WLS.
MARIA F.
on 4/1/11 11:03 am - Athens, GA

I know a lot of ppl from Canada go to Mexico for WLS. Most citing the long waiting period.

Glad you have had a good experience!

FormerlyFluffy.com

walmartian
on 4/4/11 10:20 am
You can cut and paste anything you like from my review of Dr Kelly on this site under surgeon reviews. Go Dawgs ;)

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 319 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 502 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1098 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1672 views