Decided to go to Alvarez

SpiceyMom
on 4/12/11 7:02 am
VSG on 04/28/11 with
I appreciate the answers I received to other queries here. I was strongly considering Dr. Aceves or Kelly until I realized Dr. Alvarez was within driving distance and also had done a huge amt of sleeves and had really good reviews, too. I'm still a little freaked out that I'm going to Mexico, but I'm glad the option is there and that my husband is behind me. I'm so nervous (about the surgery itself and recovery) but excited, very excited!

Now, if I could just figure out how to change my procedure to sleeve and doctor to Alvarez (on my avatar) then I'd be in business!

Thanks again!!
Mom to 8, looking forward to a healthy future!         
DeeAnnM
on 4/13/11 2:08 am
I was thinking about going to Dr Alverez. He seems to have a good reputation. I'm now leaning more towards Dr Kelly because he also has a good reputation but is closer to me than Alvarez. I could drive to him, depending on how long I think I can sit in a car after surgery (~7 hours).

Anyway, have you scheduled your surgery yet? When is it? I'm really close to scheduling, would like to go in about 4 weeks.
Heather T.
on 4/13/11 4:11 am
Congratulations on your decision!  There are a lot of things to consider and transportation is one of them!  I still get a bit freaked out when I say I am leaving the country for surgery----I think that is normal.  Have you picked a day?  (not sure how to change the doctor on your avatar---I will look though)

DeeAnn---I will be with Dr. Kelly on May 24th and I know there are some others that will be going with in that week as well that are on the board.  I don't know about the 7 hour drive but I will be in an airplane for about that long as well.  Hopefully I will be tired and can just sleep! lol
Heather T.
on 4/13/11 4:24 am
I could be wrong on this but I think you go to "My Account" on top of page and hit tab "Journey" on the side and it will ask surgery type, date, doctor....etc.  I think if you view your "profile" you can access it there too? 
SpiceyMom
on 4/13/11 4:32 am
VSG on 04/28/11 with
Thanks, ladies! I changed my surgery/surgeon/added my date under My Journey. Thanks for the help with that!

So....two weeks from tomorrow. One week of pre-op diet because my BMI is 36.5. I should be oh so pleasant to live with! I can hardly sleep for being so excited!!
Heather T.
on 4/14/11 4:52 am
I am glad that it worked!

I am more scared about the preop diet than the surgery!  I am sure that you will be fine and that the surgery date will be here in no time! That is exciting.  Congratulations!
ursamajor31
on 4/23/11 4:27 am
Hello, I am considering having the sleeve surgery with Dr. Alvarez.. I would love to hear how your experience was. Good luck!
Becoming a better me ... one step at a time!
waiting_patiently
on 5/23/11 9:16 am - Nova Scotia, Canada
VSG on 07/24/12
SpiceyMom
on 5/23/11 10:12 am
VSG on 04/28/11 with
The medical care I received during the year I lived in Calgary was deplorable. I gave birth there in the biggest hospital and there was no anesthesiologist,nor would they call one in because it would take too long. My child was misdiagnosed with a not very rare condition by at least eight doctors in the large children's hospital in Calgary. One of the main reasons we returned was the awful and often unavailable care. We were also self pay there and not subject to Canada's health care rationing but it was still awful.

By contrast, my husband was on the board of directors at an American hospital and the care was amazing.

All that to say that the care in Mexico was better than Canada and worse than the US, but not by a lot. I would definitely consider going back to Mexico for plastics, too. They know if something goes wrong they will be out of business in a millisecond.
walmartian
on 5/27/11 11:31 pm
The driver will pick you up at the airport or at a hotel if you stay in SD overnight, and it takes less than an hour to be in the hospital; it's a very quick trip. I have absolutely no complaints about Dr kelley and staff, by the way.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 261 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 450 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1064 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1629 views