Newbie - Considering sleeve surgery with Dr. G. Alvarez - reviews?

ursamajor31
on 4/23/11 4:34 am
Hello.  I am considering having VSG in October 2011 with Dr. G. Alvarez in Mexico. I have read many patient testimonials on this site about how skilled he is.  I would apprciate feedback from anyone who has been treated by him recently. Thank you! 
Becoming a better me ... one step at a time!
alusrU
on 4/24/11 12:09 pm

I'm sorry, I haven't had surgery at all but I just had to message you. My name is Ursula too! It's VERY rare to "meet" somebody with our name.  I'm hoping to have surgery this year too, I'm more than sure I will be going with Dr.Kelly in Tijuana, I just need to get all the details worked out. Well, it's good to meet another Ursula!

SpiceyMom
on 4/24/11 10:52 pm
VSG on 04/28/11 with

I'm getting my surgery on Thursday and I'll be sure to post about how things went.

Mom to 8, looking forward to a healthy future!         
ursamajor31
on 4/25/11 12:23 am
Hi AlusrU.  Wow, it's so nice to meet anothe Ursula.  I sent you a friend request.  Let's encourage one another as we embark on the weight loss surgery journey.

SpiceyMom, I wish you much success with your surgery on Thursday.  Thank you in advance for letting me know how it goes
z9y8x7
on 4/28/11 5:48 am - San Antonio, TX
VBG on 06/18/10 with
I had surgery with Dr Alvarez last June and have no regrets.  My experience was great.  My scars are going away and the incisions were so small.  My sister had the sleeve here in San Antonio 2 months after me and her incisions were huge!!!  I went home on Father's Day and went to our family outing and no one had a clue I just had surgery!  That is just a testament on how great Dr. Alvarez is.

Good luck!

ursamajor31
on 4/28/11 6:51 am
Hi z9y8x7,

Thank you for sharing your experience.  Wow that your sister's procedure in the US left larger scars.  I have done a lot of reserach on Dr. Alvarez and everything has been so positive.  I am considering Dr. Alvarez or Dr. Guilermo Ortiz.  Dr. Ortiz is slighty less expensive than Dr. Alvarez.  Congrats on the procedure and weight loss!
Becoming a better me ... one step at a time!
(deactivated member)
on 6/9/11 11:47 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
What is Alvarez charging for a sleeve ?
SpiceyMom
on 4/29/11 5:02 am
VSG on 04/28/11 with
Hey! I was sleeved yesterday and I don't see how things could have gone much better. I was in pain when I awakened post op, but I'd give it a 3.5 out of 10, and as soon as I let them know I was hurting they put the pain meds in my IV.

I have five incisions, but only one hurts; the one where the stapling/cutting machine went in and also where they pulled my stomach out! Can't imagine why that one would be sore? LOL

I was up walking a tiny bit last night, wasn't nauseous. The nurses were in and out of the room about every hour, it seemed, last night to check on my IV, pain, antiobiotic meds, antinausea meds. That got old but I did sleep some on both sides with no problem. I was afraid my mouth would be dry and chapped but it wasn't.

I started ice chips this morning without incident. Had my leak test without incident. I have been walking laps at a fairly quick clip.

Another lady had her surgery yesterday, too, and she is also doing very well. I don't know anything about Dr. Ortiz to compare the two, but I have had a good experience here.

Oh, and tonight they will not be bugging me at all. In fact, they are giving me a sleeping pill so I'll get a good night of sleep!
lesa29
on 5/5/11 9:35 am
I just discovered Dr Alverez today. Earlier today I went for a consult with Dr. Wade Barker here in Dallas. Everything at his office seemed good but he was kind of arrogant and was rushing me into making a decision.
Dr Alverez seems great! Was everything SAFE while traveling? I mentioned travel surgery to my husband and he is really skeptical. Can I ask how much it cost??
SpiceyMom
on 5/5/11 12:10 pm
VSG on 04/28/11 with
Hi Lesa,

Dr. A charges $8900. No secrets! The town of Piedras Negras is very safe. In fact, we joked it is probably safer than Dallas! Also, the clinic is less than a mile over the border. The hospital is clean but old. Dr. A has his own rooms in it and they are bigger with a couch my husband didn't exactly find comfy. Dr. A lives two blocks away and will be there in a heartbeat if you need him, a fact I verified when I thought my legs were swelling the first night.

Feel free to ask any questions!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 311 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 496 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1094 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1667 views