Confused

brezal_78
on 8/15/11 7:58 am - ME
VSG on 12/23/13
I am a full time college student and only have $4000 toward surgery. Anyone know a package that would fit my budget?
JJ_RN
on 8/15/11 9:28 am
Hi-
It really depends on the type of surgery you want. If you are "okay" with the band.-there are some that  will do them in Mexico for around $4000, however you will still have to pay for airfare with most plans. If you want another surgery VSG, RYN, or Mini-bypass the cost increases, but you don't have to worry about the additional costs like with the band. With the band you have to account for the costs of fills. Also you have to find out if any areas around you provide "Fills". I am also a college student ( grad school out of undergrad for 2 years) and saved my money to have the RYN and I am scheduled for a RYN on 12-15-11!!!  But there are a lot of factors and decisions that go into having WLS and choosing what type of surgery you will have is one of them. Please don't chose a WLS just because of the price. There are good and bad parts of each surgery.

I am using Dr. Verboonen with International Patient Facilitators and feel really good about him and his business partner/coordinator Sheri-.
Hope that helps
JJ
Jackie00
on 8/15/11 9:28 am
Not even in Mexico, sorry hun.  I have to take out a loan for this myself.  Hopefully there will be some greatful people around your area that might be able to help you.  I will be trying to pick up a 2nd job on my weekends when I recover and feel up to it to go out and make some more money to help pay off my loan.  Things are going to be tight for awhile but I will just have to budget very strickly, which is very difficult when you have kids and back to school stuff etc...
brezal_78
on 8/15/11 10:21 am - ME
VSG on 12/23/13
I know right away I don't want the lapband just because of the fills. I was thinking of the sleeve. I was also thinking if I find a doctor where you fly into San Diego rather than Mexico, that would be cheaper too. Can you get financed in Mexico if you are a US resident?
Jackie00
on 8/15/11 10:38 am
I am Canadian and using Medicard, I am sure there are a few US companies.  I have seen some of the Mexican surgeons offering financing but not sure which is the way to  go.  I think they want a large down payment which might be ideal for you if you have 4000.  Check out their websites and apply to see because you can see what you will owe after the 4000 but keep enough for the flight into San Diego, American Airlines seem the cheapest if I can drive 10 hrs afterwards to get to the Portland, Maine airport.  I just don't think I will be up for driving on the way back.  Just have to stop the car hourly and get out and walk for a bit, plus you are pretty tired afterwards and just want to sleep I think.
Dedria
on 8/15/11 11:27 pm
Yes, there are plenty of companies that finance surgies in Mexico... just depends on your credit score what terms you are able to negotiate.  One is mysurgeryloan.com, but there are plenty others... you just need to Google to find them.  You can fly into San Diego.  From the south (and I live in Louisiana) Continental has the best flights and times.  I have a friend there who operates Grace Guesthouse ([email protected]) and she will pick you up from the airport, take you to the hospital and return you to the airport.  You can call her at (225) 44821545 (home) or (619) 664-3948 (cell).  Her name is Lana and she will be glad to take care of you.  However, if you decide on the sleeve, I would NOT recommend any other doctor than Dr. Jaime Ponce de Leon.  He has done so many... so experienced.  You can get a good price with him, too.  Just let me know if you need help negotiating.  He's a friend of mine and always willing to help... especially up and coming college students.
Dedria
twinsand1
on 8/16/11 6:38 am - SC
Hi, I think Dr. Kelly has the sleeved priced at 5300.00.. My flight from the east coast was 500.00 to San Diego.. I used alighterme.com and everything went great..

Maybe you could go to a Credit Union and get the remainder of the money needed.. or even parents.. The finance companys have high interest rates.. I do understand because I looked into them before I decide to use my tax return.. If you go to the website I mentioned they have 3 or 4 finance companys listed you could check into..

Good luck!!

Angela
08/2006 lapband (Dr. de la garza Mexico)282 lbs
09/2008 emergency band removal (Dr. Givens, SC)132lbs
currently weigh 298 lbs
Sleeved 07/13/2011 Ramos Kelly

hollykim
on 8/16/11 11:11 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Gah,you are wise not to consider the band as a self pay. the fills and unfills alone would break you.

Some of the surgeons in Mx finance thru their offices. I know Dr. rodriguez does and has a good rep. They will take a down payment then let you pay on the balance. Sometimes they will do the surgery and let you pay on the balance after the surgery as well. They don't do a credit check either.

As long as you have a job,you are good to go.  www.beliteweight.com

Good luck,
Holly

amidwife4u
on 8/17/11 8:36 am
Dr. Aceves in Mexicali Mexico has you fly into San Diego, drives on the US side to Calexico and crosses the border right into Mexicali.  The surgery for sleeve currently is $8750 everything included once picked up from the airport.  I am scheduled for VSG on 9-28-11 and I am counting down the days.  Look into finance companies.  With what you have saved already, I imagine you will be accepted for a loan to pay the rest. 

Do your research on physicians.  Dr. Aceves is one of the best.  I don't have confirmation at this time, but a RN friend of mine that had the surgery done with Dr. Aceves 2 years ago told me that he is being written up as one of the top 25 bariatric physicians in the WORLD in a major Periodical in the US...and she said he was the only Mexico physician to make the cut.  I know you can get it cheaper with other physicians however, and totally understand the issue of finances. 

Good luck to you.
Julie
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 268 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 455 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1065 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1632 views