Confusion

lavendargirl1
on 10/2/11 1:35 pm
Hi All,
   I live in Las Vegas, and am really wanting to have VSG done soon. In looking into local areas to have it done, I find that it runs anywhere from 12,000.00 to 18,000.00. My insurance will only pay 50% up to 7500.00 and I have to jump hoops to do it.
  I am 5'3" tall and weigh 205 pounds. I have arthritis and high cholesterol. I have been told by my primary care that due to family history I should get the surgery.
  I have been looking and searching and talking to patient facilitators in Mexico for over three months now.
  I need help! Please advise and share!

Loni
Kelly L.
on 10/3/11 5:01 am
Hi Loni,
It can be confusing and a difficult decision. Please feel free to read my detailed day by day experience with getting the Sleeve done with Dr Kelly in MX. I was impressed with my care and am extremely happy with my Sleeve. If you have any questions please msg me. Good luck on your journey!!
ND2BTHN
on 10/3/11 1:23 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
I am pretty much the same as you, 5'3", 228lbs, with a long list of family history too.

I believe there only a few Mexican surgeons that are very highly regarded. (about 4 or 5) All the others, can just be ruled out. Don't let price dictate your choice. Some offer very enticing prices, but in some cases, you get what you pay for. Go with one who has the best non-complication record, experience, facility like a hospital, preferably with an emergency dept, rather than a clinic, cleanliness, and speak fluent English.

Try browsing the VSG forum. Much more active than this one, and many people will warn you of who to stay away from and who is the most favorable by their experiences. Don't forget to read all the reviews, youtube videos, and research each one thoroughly. In the end, go with your gut, and chose what is right for you.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
Kimmes
on 10/4/11 10:09 pm
 Like Kelly above I used Dr Ramos-Kelly and I am 9 months out tomorrow and less than 6 pounds from goal.

I had a wonderful experience and would highly recommend my surgeon.  Working with a coordinator can be very confusing... I will share my personal experience and advise if you want to send me a private message.  All I can speak from is my own experience - but it sure has been an amazing journey for me!

Best wishes on any decision you  make...  Do this for yourself - its been the best gift I have ever given to me!

Kim

Had VSG on Jan 6, 2011 with Dr. Jaime Ramos-Kelly
Start weight 239.8/Su
rgery Day 217.6/goal:155/Current Weight 144.0  I made it -Goal in less than 10 months

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

kanesmom
on 10/25/11 8:26 am
RNY on 08/16/05 with
Loni,

I'll be brief...if you have questions, feel free to ask...

I had RNY in 2005 with Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta. I don't know if he does VSG or not, but you can check his website. I had an AWESOME experience! The staff was professional and friendly. The hospital was new and clean. My recovery went very well. They put me up in a very nice resort hotel after the hospital stay.

I am 5'4" and was 222 pounds the day of surgery. I lost 100 pounds (my goal) in about 10 months. Six years latery, I currently weigh around 118. I had my first (and last) baby a year ago. I have kept the weight off pretty easily. I hate to say, but I don't follow the "rules" very well. I pretty much eat the same things as a normal thin person. I just can't eat as much as some.

Good luck to you!
Kina

RNY 08/16/05
Weight day of surgery 222
Lost 100 pounds in about 10 months

Pre-pregnancy weight 126
Delivery day weight 166
Currently 118
Baby Gage born 11/02/10
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey