Medical tourism roux-en-y where to go??

amjm
on 1/4/13 9:12 am, edited 1/4/13 9:13 am

I have not been able to get approval from my insurance for bariatric surgery and am looking at medical tourism. I was recommended Dr. Valencia with the Baja clinic, and he seems viable but I just want to look at ALL the possibilities in Mexico and Costa Rica perhaps? I've also been looking into Dr. Joya and he also seems like a good surgeon. I am not interested in traveling to an Asian country (i know a few people who have had to stay in the hospitals there with mixed results).

Thank you so much, for your time! I'm 20 years old and have a litany of health issues, I just want to get my life started! I'm 5' 6'' in weigh 280. I'm miserable but have learned a lot about myself being at this weight (like how how to get clothes to look good) and I'm ready to move on and continue my education; I'm even saving up for a puppy. Could really use some input on where I can goo that's inexpensive when out of pocket!

Thanks all!

on 1/7/13 5:29 am

Dr ponce in mexico is very skilled. Just ds with him and I was on my feet 6 hrs later. Contact I will give you more information. His prices are very reasonable too

VSG TO DS REVISION 

6penningtons
on 1/7/13 11:35 pm - MO
DS on 12/12/12

I used Dr. Lopez through A Ligher Me.  I had the DS, and am very happy with my decision!

Age: 34; Ht: 5'2; High Wt: 190; Goal Wt: 120; DS by Dr. Lopez 12/12/12

ChristinaS9476
on 1/10/13 4:22 am - Alvaton, KY
RNY on 11/15/12

I used Dr. Alejandro Lopez with my RNY and I was very happy with him.  He has three different locations - Tijuana, Puerto Vallarta, and Guadalajara.  I used alighterme.com, but you could also go through them directly at: http://www.obesityguadalajara.com/ 

Might save you a couple bucks.  It was around $7500 with Dr. Lopez.   There are a ton of people that have used a variety of doctors from Mexico and the only thing I have ever heard is to stay away from Jerusalem hospital in Tijuana. 
Feel free to read my blog and check out a couple of my friends for their points of view with using Mexican surgeons.

Good luck!

Follow my weight loss journey! 
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristinaS9476?feature=guide    

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/13 3:37 am

I'm using Dr. Alberto Aceves in Mexicali Mexico. He's a bit more expensive then other MX doctors but has a great reputation. His website is http://mexicalibariatric.com/

Good luck with your search!

amjm
on 1/13/13 6:22 am

Thank you all for your responses! I have elected to have the surgery with Dr. Joya and I am scheduled for February 11, 2013!

ChristinaS9476
on 1/14/13 12:39 am - Alvaton, KY
RNY on 11/15/12

Good for you!  If I remember correctly, he's in Puerto Vallart, right?  It's so gorgeous there!  You'll love it.  Congratulations on making this big decision and good luck!

Follow my weight loss journey! 
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristinaS9476?feature=guide    

Zube
on 4/17/13 12:48 am

Did you have your surgery with Dr. Joya?  I am considering him for surgery soon, but I want to be sure.  Please respond.  I need some advice.

amjm
on 6/6/13 12:28 am

Hello, I'm sorry I didn't see this until now! I didn't get an email telling me of it. I DID have the surgery as scheduled and it went very well. I did have complications and have to go in for a second surgery, however. That being said it was a very common mistake (bowel had twisted) and Dr. Joya treated me like one of his daughters, constantly checking on me, 3-4 times per day! I had the surgery on a monday and was supposed to leave Thursday, but due to the complications, I stayed until sunday and flew home on tuesday. My one complaint would be that there is not support after the surgery when you go home. I was lucky to find my bariatrician who fortunatly took me on when most wouldn't (most doctors policy is to not take a patient who has had surgery from a different doctor). One other comment would be to plan ahead of what you eat after surgery. I was able to find compliant juices and broths on the hotel menu, but I'm picky and it wore on me. We found popsicles at the Walmart in Puerto Vallarta I could eat and those were a success!

I would recomend Dr. Joya in a heartbeat, just make sure you are taken on by a local bariatrician before you schedule surgery. I didn't think I needed it, but you really do. I started to feel nauseous and ate very little when I got home, with no one to tell me the problems that come from eating so little, I stopped losing weight for a few weeks and was hospitalized for low potassium (the single most painful thing that I have ever had; then again a week later I had a kidney stone and that was equally painful...I'm told both are worse than childbirth). So yes Dr. Joya (who did try to advise some when I came home and had issues, but there were bad connections, time-changes, etc). SO GET A LOCAL DOCTOR FOR FOLLOW-UP. No one is above this! I cannot begin to describe the pain from the low potassium and I wouldn't wi**** on my worst enemy. Please anyone message me if you have any questions about my experience with the surgery and/or Dr. Joya!

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/13 11:21 pm

We have seen many patients transformed their lives with the help of Bariatric surgery. Bariatric Surgery is a tool to get rid of your excess body weight but it require patient commitment to adopt new lifestyle,maintaining diet protocol and regular excessive and we guaranty you your life will be absolutely change.Your most of the associated obesity disorders will be disappear over a period of time,your quality of life will be improved and life expectancy will be improved. But most importantly you will be able to live your life fullest. In our obesity support group we interact with many patient and only secret to maintain weight loss is adoption of new lifestyle with commitment to follow diet regime and recommended exercises.

Bariatric surgery has evolved as metabolic surgery ,and though we have little data but has played significant role in reducing type 2 diabetes.

A new life is waiting for you....get rid of excess body weight with commitment to adopt new life style.

Dr.Nitin Jane

Medihealth Tourism

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 268 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 455 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1065 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1632 views