Need advice on finding a doctor for gastric sleeve in Mexico

jarrellsmommy
on 7/15/13 4:48 am - Sacramento, CA

Ok, so I've been doing a ton of research, trying to find a good doctor within my budget, hopefully by the end of next month. I want to have the gastric sleeve procedure, but only have a budget of $5,500. I was interested in Dr. Ortiz with Obesity Control Center and Dr. Rodriguez at INC, but both are out of my price range. I'm still waiting to hear back from Dr. Kelly's office, but don't thin that will be within my range either. I know Dr. Almanza is within my budget, but have decided not to go with him after researching and reading reviews about him, the facility and the recovery house.

Basically I'm just wondering if there are any good doctors in Mexico in the $5000 range for the gastric sleeve?? What are your thoughts/experiences/opinions??? Any ands all feedback is welcome and greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!!

Member Services
on 7/15/13 11:50 pm - Irvine, CA

Hello,

Here are some additional surgeons that do the VSG in MX.  We suggest you research all surgeons by viewing their profile and reading the members reviews.  

Miguel Zapata

Ready 4A Change

Monterrey 
Phone: 1-800-270-7120

Fernando Garcia

Ready 4A Change

Tijuana 
Phone: 1-800-270-7120

Alberto Aceves

Mexicali Bariatric Center

Mexicali 
Phone: 888-344-3916

Armando Joya

DrJoya.com

Jalisco 
Phone: 866-509-0571

Regards,

Member Services

Jennifer L.
on 7/15/13 9:55 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

Member services, this is rather misleading. My surgeon charged that little and she has amazing stats and I had a wonderful experience! You need to find a surgeon you are comfortable with, but don't mislead people to say that it is "scary" if they change under a certain amount. Let the research and reviews of past patients speak in terms of a surgeons trust, not the price. 

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

Spencerella
on 7/15/13 7:50 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Hmmm not sure why Member Services would be responding to your request, but here is what I've learned through my own experiences and those of others on this Board.  

While Dr. Kelly is one of the cheapest and most have posted positive results, there are also a fair number of negative experiences reported too.  Dr. Aceves and Dr. Alvarez are the most well known with overwhelmingly positive results, but I think they are among the most expensive.  I used Dr. Ponce de Leon, who charges somewhere in the middle (I'm guessing around $6500-7000). He is an excellent surgeon with very good technical skills and his results are all positive.  The only negative is that he does not speak English (and my Spanish is limited) but his surgical assistant speaks perfect English and provided all the support I needed.  

Wishing you well with your journey towards a better life. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Jennifer L.
on 7/15/13 9:51 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

If you look at my signature, you will see a link to my instagram. I just got home from Mexico and my doctor was Dr. Valenzuela and my cost was $4,600 (not including flight). It went really well for me! but you have to be comfortable with your doctor. I felt pretty good about my experience and recovering at lightening speed it feels! She did great! I have no complications and I am really happy with my choice. Tijuana was... different. lol However, the people there were very nice. I went through Mexico Bariatric Center and although some people havent had the best time with them, they treated me great! I was very happy!

On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

safruge
on 11/21/13 3:03 pm
Hi Jennifer.....I wondered who your coordinator with MBC was and if you have recommended them to anyone you know personally? I feel pretty confident I will use them but I am but nervous about their reviews.
Bearz
on 12/3/13 6:28 am

I am having my surgery in Mexico. Next month hope U do good

christine500
on 7/15/13 10:39 am, edited 7/15/13 10:40 am

Is member services a moderator here?  Owner/employee of the forums? How inappropriate that post is!!

Enough to make me want to leave this forum altogether.

Jennifer L.
on 7/15/13 11:34 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I agree... it is completely misguided and offensive to people who went with the surgeons they did (with success) and offensive to the mood of the board. We are here to instill some confidence and negate those negative preconceptions! This does not help what-so-ever.

Instagram

christine500
on 7/15/13 11:42 am

I reported it.  I find it highly offensive.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 338 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 522 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1115 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1694 views