My Surgery Experience Dr Wilhemy at Mexicali Bariatric Center- LONG

Debsleeve
on 9/2/14 2:57 pm

I am morbidly obese and I decided on the sleeve, with  my BMI the Ds was probably a better choice  but at this point I decided on the sleeve, with the option of having the Ds down the road if I need it.   Hoping I do  NOT need  additional surgery I searched for the best sleeve possible. I  was looking for a place  where folks are having the best results long term. All my research pointed to Mexicali Bariatric Center.  I noticed that initially everyone loses  weight but long term these folks seem to lose more and keep it off  which was/is  my goal. I know I need to work hard on my end too but getting  the best sleeve possible  I know help me and increase my odds.   I spoke with Nina, their coordinator extensively, I swear I must have made her crazy.  She was very professional answered all my emails and questions fast and I felt very comfortable with her.   I schedule my surgery  and started getting ready.

I got picked up at the airport by Ernesto, I was expecting him from everything I had read, very nice and he has a sleeve. There was another couple traveling with us and both were having sleeve with Dr. Wilhelmy too, Jeff and Linda.  We have of course now become friends, sharing such an important event instantly bonds you.  We arrived at the hospital and were greeted by Carla and Yolanda.  We met with Dr. Campos and anesthesiologist, forget his name.  Dr. Campos has a sleeve too and  answered a lot of questions from personal experience.  Off we went to Lucerna Hotel. We got a room at the tower, very nice room.  Great pool too, I wished I had my swimsuit, it was early enough and hot  enough to get in the water.   We had dinner, "my last meal" with our new friends, the restaurant was  very good. After being on  a pre op diet for 10 days that last meal tasted wonderful! Went to bed after taking my antibiotic and sleeping  pill. My husband got one too LOL. 

7 am Ernesto picks us up at the Lobby and we go the hospital.   Everything moved fast that morning, got room, got IV, blood thinner, spoke with all the doctors  before surgery , this is when we met Dr. Wilhelmy.  He has a sleeve too!  I should mention that  we were  in a separate wing of the hospital where other wls patients were, we are all together, which was very cool.  I met others that had surgery days before I  did.  I was 2nd on in line  to go into surgery. I got a small pill to help me relax so  I left room in a haze and do not remember much of that day. 

Following day I woke up very sore. I was connected to an IV which had my pain meds. Nurses and doctors came in all day. I saw Dr. Wilhelmy every morning, he came in to check in on my and my progress. Dr. Campos was in there 2-3 times a day.  He did all my tests and  had me walking walking walking and doing my triflow exercises constantly.  Yolanda and Carla were very helpful with everything I and my husband needed.  Thanks Ladies!  Yolanda, I must say is the sweetest lady! We exchanged emails and I will keep in touch with her. 

I got a leak test that day and another one the day after, both tasted awful, be prepared. I passed them both and I got  a video of my new sleeve to take back home to my dr, again very cool, I will make a copy for myself.  Both days I just  spent them drinking liquids, walking around the hospital  and sleeping.  Drain removal was uneventful, I  dreading it  and  it turned out to be very simple, a little weird but not painful at all. Dr. Campos explained  that it is a window  to what is going on inside. One of the leak tests involves the drain. Passing all 3 tests made me feel confident I was ready to go back. Peace of mind. 

Almater Hospital is  a very nice place, small for US standards but feels more like a hotel and spotless just like others have mentioned.  They really do clean ALL DAY!. On my  walking expeditions I made it to the chapel on the 3rd floor, very pretty.  There was a nurses station right in front of my room so when I needed something it was taken care of within minutes. Language was not a problem at all, I speak very little spanish  and even though few nurses speak English , there was always a staff member or dr that did speak English when needed.  Got some meds at the pharmacy across the street and was ready to go back home, I could have gone a day earlier but they kept us 3 nights at the hospital. 

Ernesto drove us back t o the airport, long day but armed with my pain meds and protein powder I made it back home  safe and sound.  

Overall my experience was better than I anticipated  even after reading the  other reviews. I feel very lucky to start my new  life and journey in such a positive way.  I know my chances of being successful are high.   I share this in hopes that people scared  or  unsure know  what to expect and know what it is like to have surgery in  Mexico with this group. 

coop1977
on 9/3/14 1:20 pm - Canada

Thanks!  I enjoyed reading your journey!

wishing you a speedy recovery! 

Janet

Dr. Ramos Kelly .... Jan.13, 2015

SnowbirdBaja
on 9/5/14 1:23 pm
VSG on 08/08/14

Same great experience  myself !!   almost one month out go having surgery with Dr Wilhelmy. 

Happy losing u_u

VSG  WITH DR WILHELMY      08/14      SLOW LIVING IN BAJA U_U

Lizzy67
on 9/18/14 10:25 am
VSG on 09/15/14

I had surgery with Dr Wilhelmy in Mexico this past Monday. I just got back home and wanted to  2nd  your  recommendation.  I had an excellent experience too.  I know reading encouraging posts like this one really helped me when deciding  so if anyone has any questions regrind Dr. Wilhelmy and MBC you can PM me if you like. 

VSG Surgery date scheduled !!  9-15-14   Mexicali Bariatric Center Dr Wilhelmy

tstowe
on 10/3/14 2:51 am

My wife and I had our sleeves done there on September 1. Our experience was about the same as yours. I think my wife drove Nina crazy with questions too! LOL

I honestly can't say anything bad about the whole experience. Ernesto, the hotel, the hospital.... all were EXCEPTIONAL!

penaloza79
on 10/24/14 1:48 am - Springfield, OR

Wow, thank you for your post. I'm looking to schedule my sleeve with Dr. W in late January or early February, and I'm really nervous about it. I have read nothing but good experiences from those that have gone to Mexicali Bariatric so that has help a lot! Did you find that your doctor back at home was upset or put off by the fact that you went to Mexico for the surgery?

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 256 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 445 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1061 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1627 views