comparing Dr Alvarez vs Dr Ariel Ortiz for VG Sleeve

julivon
on 8/13/15 1:10 am

Hi 

I am considering doing VGS this fall and i narrowed down my research to two doctors, Dr Alvarez and Dr Ariel Ortiz.

Could you please tell me about your experience and compare them if you can (based on your research).

Thanks.

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/15 4:05 am
VSG on 08/15/15 with

i have found zero negative comments anywhere about Dr Alvarez... Part of the reason I chose him. The prep phase, his coordinator, and the care they have provided thus far has been amazing. I fly out tomorrow morning to have my VSG with him Saturday. I will give you a full honest review by Tuesday, when I return home :) check out his YouTube channel too, Endobariatric, it is super informative. 

julivon
on 8/13/15 6:53 pm

Thanks Alex1369.

I hope everything goes smoothly...

I will be waiting to hear the story.

Best wishes. 

Mojo39
on 8/20/15 6:34 pm
On August 13, 2015 at 4:05 AM Pacific Time, Alex1369 wrote:

i have found zero negative comments anywhere about Dr Alvarez... Part of the reason I chose him. The prep phase, his coordinator, and the care they have provided thus far has been amazing. I fly out tomorrow morning to have my VSG with him Saturday. I will give you a full honest review by Tuesday, when I return home :) check out his YouTube channel too, Endobariatric, it is super informative. 

How did it go?

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/15 10:24 pm, edited 8/21/15 10:26 pm
VSG on 08/15/15 with

Sorry for the delay. I would do it again in a heartbeat!! I do not and don't believe I will ever regret my decision to choose dr Alvarez. He was as amazing as every one of those positive reviews that you read on him. 

The after care has been even better than I could have imagined. I had issues with the oral antibiotic that you have to take for a few days after you get home. I got a response within 15 mins. Any question I have, I can email Dr Alvarez (you could call too, but I'm an email person) or Susan and they get back to you quicker than you'd expect. 

The nurses were awesome. My only gripe was one that didn't speak any English and I was a little loopy not too long after surgery, but I knew my vein on my left hand had blown, but with me being groggy and her lack of English (and I suppose, my lack of Spanish in all fairness) she wasn't understanding that I knew the meds we're not going in. She did finally get it, and another nurse came in and they did a new IV. 

My hubby came with me, and they treated him amazing. Ordering food, always asking if he needed anything, making sure he was comfortable. I was very impressed. And Dr Alvarez, the other surgeons who assisted, and the nursing staff are always checking on you. I was surprised how many times I saw the Drs for just a 2 day stay. I was so scared going into surgery, and everyone was so compassionate and understanding, particularly Anali, one of his English speaking technicians (she also is a successful sleever of dr Alvarez from 2014). So she truly understands everything you are feeling, and she was wonderful. 

My my travel on the way home sucked, but that was Southwests problem, and not the hospital obviously. My surgery was on Saturday, and I was back to work Wednesday morning. A little tired at times, but I feel soooooooooooooo much better than I could've imagined. i would say yesterday, so 6 days post op, was the first day I haven't felt a little fatigue. 

And best of all.... I am not hungry (which is a pretty awesome thing to never feel hungry), every day the scale goes down....seriously I think it's nuts! Every morning, I'm lighter and feeling better. I'm down 9 lbs since my surgery, and 17.2 lbs since my one week pre op liquid diet. 

And the continued support of being a Dr Alvarez patient doesn't stop there.... There are groups, events, channels of keeping in touch, you bond with your fellow sleevers (never more than 3 surgeries a day! Something that made a difference in my choice). Everything has been amazing. 

I hope this helps.... And please don't hesitate to ask specific questions, as I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out. 

But all I can say is, all those 742 positive reviews are spot on. He really is that good. Oh and the actual surgery itself takes about 25 minutes. Hubby said from the time they took me out of the room to the time Dr Alvarez came in to say I was in recovery and everything went great: about 35-40 mins. So pretty good!!

KeishaLeigh
on 8/24/15 10:19 pm - NC
VSG on 02/24/15 with

I know that I am late answering...but I agree 100%. Dr Alvarez is an amazing doctor. I went to him in February and I am thankful everyday for my decision. 

38 y.o. 5'7" HW 347 SW 332 M1 -22 M2 -18 M3 -19 M4 -9 M5 -18 M6 -11 M7 -13 M8-9 M9 -7 M10 -8 M11 -5 M12 -1 M13 -9 M14 -0 

SLeevecity
on 9/1/15 6:13 pm

Both have great reputations.  You can't go wrong with either. Best of luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 256 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 445 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1060 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1626 views