I am new here.

cici123
on 5/24/16 5:19 pm

Sorry for the unoriginal subject line..So, I am brand new to posting in forums and I hope I do this right!  I have considered weight loss surgery on and off for a long time, but always felt like I should try harder on my own.  I should develop a normal and healthy relationship with food and eating.  Well, I am 49 years young, I think I am realizing that food and eating just won't every be a normal thing for me, so what is it that I am waiting for?   More wasted time..nope.  I am done with that.  I have an 11 year old son.  I want to be around and active for him for a long time. I am sick and tired of feeling tired more often than I should and hate the ugly over priced excuses for plus sized clothing.   So all of that combined with a few other factors has brought to this point.  I am ready to take this step.  I have now researched surgery to death and surgery in Mexico since it is the only way I can afford this..I over think things and analyze things down to the molecular level.   I just need to do it.   

So, I have communicated with the team from Dr. Quinones' office.  Pompei.   So far everything has been pretty simple.    I am used to things being too complicated.   

I submitted my medical questionnaire, things look good.  I just need to make the appointment and find a flight at this point.   I have  a concern that has nothing to do with the surgery.   I am big and like big folks, I dread the airplane seats.   Torture!  Humiliation!    I am usually travelling with my son, though and I don't mind squishing him and having my hips move the arm rest a little.  This won't be the same deal when I am travelling without him.  I cannot do the same thing to a stranger.   I am a size 18-20 pants.   More often sz. 20 these days, less often size 18.   I wonder if I am going to be violating space and size policies.   I flew to Florida in March and the flight down was just a tad squishy and of course I sat next to my son.   The seat belt fit me, but with no real space to spare.   The flight back, well, it was just totally cramped.   The worst was that the seat belt did not fit me.   I just threw a sweater over my lap and prayed that I would not smack my head in the case of turbulence.     I know I will buy a seat belt extender for my next flight.    That won't help with the width of my hips though.     

Size 20 women.   Did you have weird time with seat space issues on your flight to Mexico?  How did you handle it?    

It seems like facing a surgery and a life altering decision would be at the forefront of my mind, but it is the seating issue that concerns me right now..  

hollykim
on 5/25/16 12:55 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 25, 2016 at 12:19 AM Pacific Time, cici123 wrote:

Sorry for the unoriginal subject line..So, I am brand new to posting in forums and I hope I do this right!  I have considered weight loss surgery on and off for a long time, but always felt like I should try harder on my own.  I should develop a normal and healthy relationship with food and eating.  Well, I am 49 years young, I think I am realizing that food and eating just won't every be a normal thing for me, so what is it that I am waiting for?   More wasted time..nope.  I am done with that.  I have an 11 year old son.  I want to be around and active for him for a long time. I am sick and tired of feeling tired more often than I should and hate the ugly over priced excuses for plus sized clothing.   So all of that combined with a few other factors has brought to this point.  I am ready to take this step.  I have now researched surgery to death and surgery in Mexico since it is the only way I can afford this..I over think things and analyze things down to the molecular level.   I just need to do it.   

So, I have communicated with the team from Dr. Quinones' office.  Pompei.   So far everything has been pretty simple.    I am used to things being too complicated.   

I submitted my medical questionnaire, things look good.  I just need to make the appointment and find a flight at this point.   I have  a concern that has nothing to do with the surgery.   I am big and like big folks, I dread the airplane seats.   Torture!  Humiliation!    I am usually travelling with my son, though and I don't mind squishing him and having my hips move the arm rest a little.  This won't be the same deal when I am travelling without him.  I cannot do the same thing to a stranger.   I am a size 18-20 pants.   More often sz. 20 these days, less often size 18.   I wonder if I am going to be violating space and size policies.   I flew to Florida in March and the flight down was just a tad squishy and of course I sat next to my son.   The seat belt fit me, but with no real space to spare.   The flight back, well, it was just totally cramped.   The worst was that the seat belt did not fit me.   I just threw a sweater over my lap and prayed that I would not smack my head in the case of turbulence.     I know I will buy a seat belt extender for my next flight.    That won't help with the width of my hips though.     

Size 20 women.   Did you have weird time with seat space issues on your flight to Mexico?  How did you handle it?    

It seems like facing a surgery and a life altering decision would be at the forefront of my mind, but it is the seating issue that concerns me right now..  

I just gritted my teeth and did it. I kept reminding myself it was going to be one of the last times I would have to deal with it.

cici123
on 5/25/16 2:08 pm

Thanks!   Yep, just gritting my teeth and dealing with it is going to have to be a game plan.  Thank you for a nice and down to earth reply. Best wishes!!

Sandra F.
on 5/26/16 5:59 am

Before I lost weight, I used to fly once a year and it was never a pleasant experience.  I used to dread it, actually.  I was actually bigger than you, at a size 26.  Just remember that these flights will hopefully be your last ones at this uncomfortable weight and grin and bear it.  I had my surgery in Mexico, despite having family members disagree with my decision, and I have never been happier.  The only regret I have is not having done this sooner.  Good luck to you.

fruitsnaks
on 5/26/16 2:45 pm

I'M a big girl as well and also had surgery with Dr, Quinones and had to go through the same thing with the plain. But you can ask ahead of time it their are seats open that they might be able to put you in one by your self or most of the time the plain is not even full just weight tell the plain get aborted and move to a different seat. you will be just fine and you should not worry about what other think just remember that you are doing this for your health and one day we will be able to get on a plain with no problem.

cici123
on 5/26/16 3:18 pm

Thank you for the reassurance.. I think I am just coming up with anything everything to have anxiety about since the though of the actual surgery is a little daunting. Best wishes!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 272 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 457 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1067 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1633 views