Best doctor for duodenal switch?

Butterflies899
on 5/31/20 6:57 am

Hello all! I've been doing research on going the surgery route after years of yo-yo dieting. My insurance doesn't cover it and since I'll have to do self pay I'm looking at traveling to Mexico. Right now I'm mainly considering the Duodenal switch as my BMI is at 52. I see that it's available at Mexicalibariatric with Dr. Esquerra. All my research says that's a great option and that's at the top of my list as far as choices most likely. However I see that Dr. Illan at Bariatric pal MX also performs this surgery at a much more affordable price. I can't find much information to come to a solid comparison on the two. Why is Dr. Illan so much less expensive? Has anyone had the duodenal switch with either of them or can recommend any other experienced doctors in Mexico that perform this particular surgery?

hollykim
on 6/19/20 11:05 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 31, 2020 at 1:57 PM Pacific Time, Butterflies899 wrote:

Hello all! I've been doing research on going the surgery route after years of yo-yo dieting. My insurance doesn't cover it and since I'll have to do self pay I'm looking at traveling to Mexico. Right now I'm mainly considering the Duodenal switch as my BMI is at 52. I see that it's available at Mexicalibariatric with Dr. Esquerra. All my research says that's a great option and that's at the top of my list as far as choices most likely. However I see that Dr. Illan at Bariatric pal MX also performs this surgery at a much more affordable price. I can't find much information to come to a solid comparison on the two. Why is Dr. Illan so much less expensive? Has anyone had the duodenal switch with either of them or can recommend any other experienced doctors in Mexico that perform this particular surgery?

I do t know anything about dr Lilian but I had my ds at Mexicali bariayrics with Dr. Ungson and my experience was excellent. I only recommend them as I have had more than one wls in Mx and they were by far the best experience.

it is true that you get what you pay for.
Good luck!

Kirst
on 6/27/20 1:49 pm - Indianapolis, IN

Dr Ungson did my BPD with DS in 2005. I had such a great experience! Worth every single penny.

I just came back to this site to search for PS- in Mexico hopefully so I can actually afford it :)

I had such a good experience with Dr. Ungson, I thought I'd try to track down a referral from him- anyone he recommends?

BPD with DS in 2005.

hollykim
on 6/27/20 5:22 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 27, 2020 at 8:49 PM Pacific Time, Kirst wrote:

Dr Ungson did my BPD with DS in 2005. I had such a great experience! Worth every single penny.

I just came back to this site to search for PS- in Mexico hopefully so I can actually afford it :)

I had such a good experience with Dr. Ungson, I thought I'd try to track down a referral from him- anyone he recommends?

• I don't know if he recommends anyone but I have used Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mx twice now with the most recent being February 3020.
  • his email is [email protected]

put consult in the subject line. Heusially comes to the states twice a year for impersonating consults but probably won't this year.

MarinaGirl
on 7/3/20 6:08 pm

I had a lower body lift and brachioplasty with Dr Sauceda in Monterrey, MX in Feb 2020 and had a great experience/results.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 264 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 451 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1064 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1630 views