New to this board and happy that I found it!

angcolon
on 9/4/10 8:41 am - waters edge, CT
Hi my name is Angie and I am a new bike rider. My husband's bike club friend blessed me with her 2001 Kawasaki ex500. I couldn't believe how she just told my husband to come pick it up for me. It was a very excitting night for me and I haven't stop grinning yet! I haven't been out yet because my husband has not given my baby a tuneup yet and it needs one badly. So I it looks as if I won't be ridding this year at all. But the important part is that I finnaly have my own bike and next spring I will be out there looking for buddies. Any tips for me are greatly appreciated as I am new to motorcycles.
Matt S.
on 10/2/10 7:34 am - Otsego, MI
Hi Angie:

Congratulations on the new scoot!  The Kawi's are nice bikes (I have 2) and the 500 will be a great bike for you.  I am a MSF RiderCoach, so I am naturally going to advise you to check with your local DMV and/or bike shops to lear where you can take the Basic Rider Course.  This will consist of one or two nights of classroom learning and 2 days on an approved range where you will learn the basics of riding a motorcycle.  I highly recommend you take the course and not learn from a friend.  The sport of motorcycling is exhilerating, fun but brings with it a lot of risk.  Taking the course will help prepare you as a rider to accept those risks and hopefully manage the risks using some very specific strategies.  Plus, your instructor will show you some great riding techniques.

I would check into it now and see when you can sign up for 2011.  Here in Michigan, I work for a program that is sponsored by a local community college.  We typically open registration online the end of March and it is filled up for the entire summer by the end of April.

Ride safe and ride often (once you get your endorsement )

Matt

angcolon
on 10/2/10 9:07 am - waters edge, CT
Thanks for the advise Matt, I just completed a 3 day couse at my local community College. I enjoyed it so much that I have signed up for a reminder in March. I just put Betsy away, my husband is planing to do some work on her this winter.

Looking foward to next hears riding season!
Matt S.
on 10/2/10 1:08 pm - Otsego, MI
Good for you!  Congratulations!  I hope you had fun.  They may even offer what we call an "Experienced Rider Course" which is a one day class where you ride your own bike.  Some of the drills are basically the same and some are a little harder - but it is still in a low risk parking lot environment.  So, once you get a few months of riding in low risk streets and have been able to practice with your bike, consider taking an ERC.  Maybe that is the "reminder" you signed up for in March.  Either way -have fun with it!

Matt
Most Active
Recent Topics
Spring is coming!
JCDan · 0 replies · 320 views
Spring 2010
Moma V. · 3 replies · 462 views
Should I sell my bike????
Jill W. · 3 replies · 552 views