How soo did you get back to work?

Erin P.
on 6/13/04 1:03 am - Evansville, IN
HI!! I work in a Select Hospital-acute long term care ( vents-trachs-wounds ect.) I'm a floor nurse, so I do walk A LOT but my charting ... paperwork...ect I also sit ALOT. I have the option to be on a lifting but I don't think I'm going to have the option of not WORKING for 6-8 weeks! !!! I'm a fast healer ( I was back to work after hysterectomy in three weeks with NO problems.) so I'm wondering... I would like to go back after 3 weeks this time too. Possible? I'm having an open rny which I know is going to be harder than my hysty but... any input? thanks Erin
dapowers57
on 6/15/04 1:28 pm - NEVADA, TX
Hi Erin, I work in a family practice clinic on my feet alot and sitting for triage and call backs. I had lap RNY and went back to work in 4 weeks. Could of handled 3 weeks but I had 4 weeks vacation so I used it all. Don't go back too soon because even if you heal well your energy level decreases because of the lack of nutrition. Be sure to take yor vitamins! It took me a couple of months to get my energy level back up to par. A friend of mine had open RNY and did not go back to work for 8 weeks. Give yourself time to recoop. If you can you need to file under FMLA. Good Luck. Denise
Deborah W.
on 6/18/04 1:37 pm - West Hills, CA
Hi Erin, I work in an ophthalmology clinic and also on my feet allllllllll day. I had lap rny and went back to work 2 1/2 weeks after surgery. I remember being fall down exhausted when i came home that first day back to work. I should have taken more time off but the nurses at ucla told me people go back to work 1 to 2 weeks after surgery. So that is what I did. Those nurses that told me that need to have abdominal surgery and then try going back to work that soon. Be good to yourself and go back when you feel you are ready. Good luck dEbbie
sheryn
on 1/4/05 7:10 am - Clarita, OK
Hey Erin!! I went back to work in 2 weeks. I work in a family practice clinic & I am on my feet all day long. I also give alot of immunizations to kids, so I need another nurse to battle the "kickers"!! She helps out alot. My schedule @ work is more stable than it is when I am @ home. I get my snacks & meals in better when I am working. I make myself get up & go get some "fuel"! I had no complications with surgery & everyone is different. Just take it easy & get you a helper! I would be careful around disoriented patients or nasty wounds. Thanks & Good Luck Sheryn
mickschl3
on 10/27/05 11:57 am - Blaine, WA
Erin- I work as a nursing supervisor and so walk approximately 5+miles/night. I had a laparascopic RNY and was back to work 1 week after surgery. Personally, I wouldn't recommend that, but bills had to be paid and so back to work I went! With an open RNY, I would be concerned with lifting, of course but also with pain control issues. I thought I was tough and had a high pain tolerance but found out this surgery was unlike any of the other abd surgeries I had previously been through. I also went back to work 1 week after an emergency abd hyst and that was easy compared to this (but I'm also 10 years older than I was then...LOL!) I think the bottom line is to use your judgement and follow what your surgeon feels is safe for you. Good Luck- debbie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy Nurses Week to all
RobinNJ · 0 replies · 305 views
Bad side of nursing....
kathy B. · 1 replies · 1106 views
Healthcare for nurses
~Beautiful One~ · 4 replies · 367 views
Orlando Support Group Meetings
slimderella · 2 replies · 822 views