Nursing School???

KGSlaugh
on 7/28/04 3:44 pm
Hi, I have heard that RNs with a BS make more money than RNs w/o one. Is this true? Does it matter in the long run? I am trying to get my BSRN, but it feels like it is taking forever since I am taking a semester off for my WLS. I am so blessed for the surgery though--not complaining. Just wondering! Thanks, Katie Slaughter
Shelly P.
on 8/2/04 12:35 pm - dayton, OH
Hi Katie, I have been in nursing for 10years almost. I have found that it does not make much difference at all on having a bsn/associates degree. I have er experience and work with a nurse that has 3 years experience only in geriatrics with an associates. I have a bsn, but we make exactly the same amount. Hope this helps. Shelly
jennifer S.
on 8/14/04 2:26 pm - conyers, GA
I have also beena nurse for 10years. The pay is the same and really the only difference in the programs is in managment and research classes. If you are planning aon going in to management you will need BSN
boopdiva
on 8/14/04 6:24 pm - Roanoke, VA
Katie, My understanding (as a nursing student myself) is that it also depends on what area of the country you are in. A travel nurse told me that in DC that you make more as a BSN, but my girlfriend is now a travel and ICU nurse and an ASN and she makes excellent money. I think the real factor in making good money in nursing is experience. If it were me I would take the cheaper and quicker route (well, actually I am) and get my AS and then when I was working and gaining experience continue and get my BSN. You can even do that part on the interenet. Kerry
Kim D.
on 8/22/04 1:47 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi I'm also a nursing student & no matter what program you complete, going in to your first job you will get the same pay as a new grad. I recommend getting the RN, then go for the BSN part time after you are already working and gaing that experience! There are lots of great programs out there for working RN's to get there BSN nights/parttime & even online. I graduate May 6th! Best of luck to all of us! Nurses Rock!
Kathy D.
on 9/1/04 9:13 pm - Skokie, IL
Hi Katie.......... I've been a nurse (Associate Degree) for 30 yrs.It was not a big factor back then. BUT, if I were starting out NOW i WOULD not even consider LESS than a BSN . Anything less will absolutely limit you to patient care only. If you have any desire to advance from that into perhaps any sort of management position you will need a BSN......and if you think you might ever want to teach nursing at the college level or go into medical research you will undoubtedly need your Masters. SOOOOOOOOOOO, the decision is yours depending on how far you think you would like to go with your nursing. But I would absolutely advise you to go for nothing less than a BSN. Nursing and what you can do with it is very competative. And yes DEGREES do matter. At many hospitals they are actually starting to adjust the payscale up a little for degrees. But, with only a ASN you'll be a patient care nurse forever....you will be majorly limited as to what you can do. So, I'd weigh out what you think you might want to do with your nursing...and go from there. Hope this helps a little bit. Best of luck to you. If I can be of any further advice.......don't hesitate to email me. Huggs, Kathy
N'Awlins Kat
on 4/2/05 11:25 pm - TX
In louisiana, and southern california there IS a differential "by degree" so if you have your associates you make more than a certificate RN, and if you have your BSN you make slightly more than both the others. Having said that... I agree with the above poster... I've been "on the floor" for 3 years now... and the only thing holding me there, is the fact that I haven't decided WHICH path to Master's I want. In the meantime, I just took another contract (best route for getting paid well IMO) and maybe next year after my WLS I'll move to a less physical version.... like maybe case management
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy Nurses Week to all
RobinNJ · 0 replies · 305 views
Bad side of nursing....
kathy B. · 1 replies · 1106 views
Healthcare for nurses
~Beautiful One~ · 4 replies · 367 views
Orlando Support Group Meetings
slimderella · 2 replies · 822 views