drinking while eating?

Norma_ENVY
on 2/22/05 3:17 am - Montebello, CA
I've read so many contradicting topic, so thought I'd shoot it over to you nurses and get your input on it... drinking while eating? Do or do not. My doc never said much about the topic but read everywhere that I shouldn't drink while eating. I'm 6months out and have drank during eating the whole time...but then again, it's not a whole out DRINKING fest, just a sip or two when I feel the need while eating. Definitely not as before where I'd sip down a can of soda like nothing. Anywho, thought I'd get your thoughts on this matter. Take care, Norma G. 255/173/145
Luvitsunny
on 2/22/05 9:18 am - Sunny South, FL
I know this has been a problem for some but I haven't found it to be an issue for me. I don't drink after a meal -- at least for 30-40 minutes. The liquid tends to expand the food or "float it" and this may lead to more nausea and vomiting. If you had RNY you are already absorbing less of the nutrients that you take in. If you get sick and have to vomit -- that makes your nutrient intake even less. Just don't let the few "sips" lead to drinking a lot. LuvitsunnyV
Ali M
on 3/17/05 12:52 am - S.E., TX
The way it was explained to me: Drinking a lot of fluid while eating can create a "soup" in your pouch. Since as RNY patients, we do not have a pyloric valve to help regulate the flow of contents from the stomach to the intestines, the consistency of the food in there is what dictates how long it stays there. The longer it is in the pouch the longer we feel satified. If we are constently eating loose, soupy foods, it drains out quicker, we are hungrier quicker, so we end up eating more than we need/intend to just to feel satisfied. New postops can get away with this, but it can lead to eating more calories over the long run (past the so called honeymoon phase and window of opportunity). With my VBG, it was more along the lines of eat+drink=getting sick! But that was due to the silastic ring, I have not had that problem with the RNY the few times I have drank while eating. I have not drank with my meals for a very long time (almost 10 years) it's totally habit with me now and my DH even does it now at home. Unless I ask him if he wants something to drink, he will sit down without one most of the time! Ali
Norma_ENVY
on 3/17/05 1:15 am - Montebello, CA
That's sweet of your DH I'm out 6months, and everytime I sit down to drink with others, they look at me funny when I don't drink anything!...Even my mom has given me the: "here's some juice to wash things down with...you don't want to choke, do you!"..lol. She's silly like that. But, I know its a habit I need to break out of. I don't GULP drinks or anything along that line, but I do sip here and there...not necessarily for the taste of anything (usually its jus****er), but for the habit of doing so. I've tried sitting there and not putting anything in front of me to drink, but sure enough, i find a way. Bad me! Thanks for your input!
(deactivated member)
on 4/19/05 11:51 am - Chadds Ford , PA
I agree. When I am in a restaurant, and the wait staff asks what I would like to drink, and I say nothing, they look at me as if I was nuts. So now, I just order a glass of water and leave it there.
SuzieD
on 10/8/05 11:36 pm - Pasadena, TX
The support group I go to explained it this way. The entrance and exit of your pouch are like a toilet bowl. When you add water you flu**** and some of the nutrients that could have been absorbed are not. Not only that when you add water you are slowly expanding your pouch. "Believe me this pouch is staying small." LOL Suzie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy Nurses Week to all
RobinNJ · 0 replies · 305 views
Bad side of nursing....
kathy B. · 1 replies · 1106 views
Healthcare for nurses
~Beautiful One~ · 4 replies · 367 views
Orlando Support Group Meetings
slimderella · 2 replies · 822 views