Fats in your diet post-op

lea2be
on 7/29/06 2:55 pm - LaBelle, FL
Okay, as per my doctor's and dietician's advice for my pre-op diet, I am watching my carbs and fat intake and pushing for 100 grams of protein each day. I wasn't told I had to lose any given amount of weight. I was just asked to try and lose whatever I could before surgery and to watch carbs to help make my liver as small as possible... But, in order to get in the recommended 100 grams of protein, I find it hard to keep the fat intake below 50 grams some days. Some days are not too bad--30 or so, but other days it is high 40s. Today, for instance, was 42.4, but we ate one meal at a party for my kids' softball team and the food provided was, unfortunately, pizza... fat and carbs both! I only had two slices and it was a very, very thin crust, but it still shot today's numbers! SO, here's my question.... Perhaps you were starting to wonder if I had one?? LOL I hear many post-op folks commenting abou****ching the sugar and carb intake... And I know everyone's striving to get in as much protein as humanly possible. I have heard comments and read printed info that states that part of the malabsorption (sp?) problem is that our new digestive system cannot absorb many fat-based things such as oil soluble vitamins... So, with this info floating in my mind as I struggle daily to watch very closely my fat and carb intake, I wonder if fat in your diet is a concern once you are post-op? I'm hoping that one or more of you folks can help me understand whether this IS the case, and fat amounts are more a concern pre-operatively, or if it is not the case and you will still have to watch it later too. As someone who has never been much of a meat eater, I have really had to change my eating habits drastically in order to achieve that 100 grams of protein each day. For the 17 days that I've been journalling and watching my intake again as a pre-op, my average daily protein intake has been 91.6 grams with 6 of the 17 days over 100 grams. I'm eating more now than I did before as I've also had to add in a breakfast/first thing after I wake up meal which I was never in the habit of eating. At the same time, I have maintained an average calorie intake of 1388 for those 17 days. I'm exploring other lower-fat protein sources. But, this fat thing is my current obsession as to what I have to chage... I was sort of obsessing about the amount of sodium... My doc told me that my average daily intake was lower than that of 90% of the people in the US! So, no worries there anymore, but I want to figure out whether I'm just worrying about the fat for now, till I have surgery, OR if it will be a lifelong issue as I think it is... SO, if you can help this pre-op get a handle on this newest curiousity, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks
jodid
on 8/9/06 2:18 pm - arlington, TX
Lea, I am a bit confused at the amount of protein you are eating. I am not aware of which surgery you are having and I don't know if it really makes a difference. I was told that a person should eat half the amount of grams of protein for the amount of weight they want to be. If I am 140lbs. I should eat between 65 to 70 grams of protein a day. If you are supposed to be 200 lbs., this is when you should eat 100 grams of protein a day. Depending on what protein you are eating, you have healthy choices of fat. You should try to stay away from red meats as they are very high in fat but fish is very healthy for you but has a very high level of protein in it. Stick with healthy fats. I believe that is anything other than animal fats which are saturated fats. Also, eat healthy carbs. White carbs, if you don't exercise, turn into sugar which turns into fat. I personally don't eat alot of fat because I watch what meats I put into my system so if I eat a salad with protein on it, I am not worried about which dressing I will put on it. I may not have been of much help to you but since I had my surgery last Nov. I have lost 110 lbs., I feel great, and my doctor says I am very healthy(blood work). I have no deficiences. Good luck, Josephine
lea2be
on 8/15/06 2:30 am - LaBelle, FL
Hi! Thanks for your response! I am having a lap RNY on 8/29... My surgeon tells EVERYone to aim for 100 grams of protein per day pre-op. When I started stressing over it, he said that telling folks to aim for 100 better ensures that they get at least 75 to 80. I had a phone conversation yesterday with Jerome at Unjury.com (the protein folks). He said that really boosting your protein intake pre-operatively makes the surgery easier on your body as you have the protein stored up that you need to heal. He said a lot more than that, but that was one of the most important jewels of info that I gathered during our talk. I will continue to press for as much protein intake as I am capable! He also mentioned a study done by someone on a group of people who had historically a very, very low (almost none) level of protein intake... The doctors commented that doing surgery on any of these folks ended in an almost futile attempt to sew together tissues that were like pieces of wet PAPER... There was nothing there to help the stitches re-bind the tissues so that they would mesh properly and begin to heal. AND, he mentioned what we all should already know but many of us sometimes forget--protein is what builds healthy bones and muscles and your HEART is your biggest muscle. Your heart needs protein in order to be healthy. Our conversation was great and I so enjoyed talking to him. Plus, I took several reminders of how very important protein is to our bodies from it and will remember some of the facts he pointed out on days when I am really struggling to get in enough protein! Hugs, Lea
Most Active