Post-Op Diet Confussed!

Tammy Douglas
on 9/18/06 1:18 pm - Los Angeles, CA
I am 7 weeks post-op (lapro RNY) and have lost about 40 pounds. While that is great I am worried about the diet I have been given. The surgeon gave no specific number requirements only a list of foods for three phases. While the nutricianist gave me 55 grams of protein until now where I am to reduce the protein to 33grams and increase my carbs to 90 a day that is 30 grams a meal. of course incrasing that with level of exersise. I think that this sounds strange so I have done my own thing. I eat what I would like from the list given and focus on as much protein as I can eat in that three meals and two snacks. I visit the gym everyday for an hour, walking for 30 minutes and weight toning light weights with reps. My question is I want to know what others are doing or have done in diet so that I can do my best. There's more to the diet I have been given that I think is flawed but in order to fully know what will work for me and what others do is where I will begin. Please share with me what you do/have done in detail.
Diminishing Dawn
on 10/7/06 2:24 am - Windsor, Canada
Reduce protein? No way!! You *NEED* protein. I MUST get 62 grams of protein in a day. This is vital for your organs, body functioning, metabolism and your general nutrition. I find it absurd when nutritionists don't seem to know about protein requirements. They are essential if we want to keep our hair too! I am eating just a little of everything. Meals but mini meals. I make sure that I get my 8 glasses of water and 62 grams of protein. My bloodwork is tested every 3 months to see what deficiencies I might have so that I can supplement. I take 2 vitamins a day, a calcium supplement, b-12 and for now, liquid iron because I've become iron deficient and have developed anemia. For dinner, I'll have meal - it will just be smaller portioned. I focus on protein first and foremost with every meal and have a little carbs, a little snacks now and then (fruits, veggies) etc. I have carnation instant breakfast or a protein shake as a snack too. I tend to eat around 5-6 meals a day. Dawn 288/212/140 http://www.geocities.com/diminishingdawn
chrisrau
on 10/9/06 10:14 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I'm tall (6'). As a minimum I got 60 grams of protein a day and often more. I also walked 5 miles per day and did weights. For what it is worth, I have had not trouble maintaining 150 lb weight loss (2 1/2 years post op) and I have no sagging skin. I believe protein, exercise and staying well hydrated is the key to maximizing your results.
Most Active