popcorn

jstansel
on 9/16/07 12:03 pm - lexington, SC
How bad is popcorn for you? I am 2 years out and sometimes I get the urge to chew and popcron satifys that craving. I am 5 ft 2 and weighed 320 before RNY 2 years ago. I am down to 190 and have hit a wall. I exercise 5-6 days a week, walking and eliptycal. I have recent;y added weight training but so far I haven't lost anymore but haven't gained either. Sometimes I am not sure if I eat enough. I do however do 2 protein shakes a day and almost always get at least 70 ozs of water. My diet consists of oatmeal, cheese, a little salad( still get filled up really fast on that) Wendys chili, protein bars (usually one a day, the low carb ones)low fat wheat thins and pf course popcorn. I tried fitday.com but didin't keep up with it. I want to lose at least another 20 lbs before plastic surgery. What am I doing wrong? I have come so far and I am really proud of it especially since I have some physical limitations ( very bad right knee...bone on bone ugh!) I just need a little guidence. I didn't know about this board. Thanks for listening, Jennifer
MelaniaB_RD
on 9/17/07 7:41 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Jennifer, Congratulation on your weight loss! If you tolerate popcorn without problems it is a good snack; I would use a 95% fat-free butter flavored one.  Since you are exercising 5-6 days per week your body needs more calories to "feed the machine" (your body) in order to promote weight loss.   It doesn't sound like you are having much variety and enough fruits & vegetables, but since I don't know your health & nutrition history (this forum is not the place to discuss that) that is what it appears like to me.  Also, beware of the 'low carb' protein bars as they are usually much higher in fat and calories than their regular counterparts.   By the way, the terms 'low carb' and 'net carbs' are NOT legal terms per the FDA; they are marketing terms dreamed up by the food manufacturers to help sell you their products.   You might want to consult a Registered Dietitian who is experienced in WLS to help you personally.   Cheers, Melania Behrens, MA, RD eNutritionCare.com
Most Active