Iron?? and Apple Cider Vinegar???

Im2fun4u
on 9/17/07 6:54 pm - tacoma, WA
Ok so I have 2 seperate questions 1) How much Iron is too much Iron? I am an RNY proximal Aug 2, 2007 and my doctor has me on 300mg carbonyl Iron. This seems so extreme to me. This is his standards for proximal patients. I started to have some constipation problems and tried a stool softner the pharmicist recommended and that didn't work and I felt icky when I took it. Would it be unreasonable to discuss lower amounts of iron with my doc? 2)Before my RNY I used apple cider vinegar daily to improve digestion and get all the great health benefits it's suppose to have. I noticed someone posted they use Apple cider vinegar after surgery. I decided to start today, drank a tablespoon. It went down the throat fine, but when it hit my pouch it was an instant burning that made me stop in my tracks. I felt like I had just poured salt on a wound. What could this be from? Do I have an ulcer? Am I not healed? Whats up, this scared the crap out of me?

48lbs Lost Pre-op/19lbs of the 48lbs Lost was during 2 week Preop Clear Liquid

MelaniaB_RD
on 9/18/07 1:54 am - Costa Mesa, CA

The usual iron recommendation for post-op RNY patients is at least 15 milligrams (mg) for pre-menopausal women and 10 mg for men.  The dosage of 300 mg of carbonyl Iron (which is very pure form of iron) may seem high but your body will likely only absorb 10-15% of that amount (30-45 mg).  Iron absorption takes place in the duodenum, which has been bypassed and therefore you will have impaired absorption.  One of the unpleasant side effects of iron supplements is constipation.  Fortunately there are several sources of iron on the market.  Unfortunately ferrous sulfate is the most commonly used (it is the cheapest) but causes constipation and can irritates the lining of the stomach.  We usually recommend ferrous citrate or gluconate for post-op patients but check with your surgeon before changing brands as he/she may have a reason for wanting to use this type of iron.  However, please discuss the unpleasant side effects with your surgeon and he/she should give you an alternative iron supplement that provides the iron you need to prevent an iron deficiency and does not cause unpleasant side effects.  Vitamin C foods enhance iron absorption, i.e. orange juice, tomato juice, etc.  Apple cider vinegar has been anecdotally toted to provide all sorts of supposed health benefits, but none have been scientifically proven to the best of my knowledge.  If it burns, STOP using it. Cheers, Melania Behrens, MA, RD eNutritionCare.com

sabrina S.
on 9/18/07 11:22 am, edited 9/18/07 11:23 am - cleburne, TX
I would think to question to question #2 that a tblsp. for a tiny tummy is not good I drink 1-2 tsp. per 8 oz. water. I would not drink it straight ever. I usually suffer leg cramps at night since I have been drinking the A C V they have stopped and I was drinking it for indigestion. So to me  that was a plus I noticed I also never drink the one in the stores I use the one in the health food stores it has what they call the mother in it And it looks cloudy, more nutrients are in it. I Would try a quater of a tsp. with 8 oz of water first. And then gradually move up. I have not had surgery but I love it's benefits just my opinion.  Sabrina

Most Active