Low Carb High Protein

heathermc57
on 9/18/07 5:55 am - Warner Robins, GA

Hi All.....I start on my Pre-Op diet tomorrow and not looking forward to it.

Here is what I have on my shopping list so far:

hamb meat, bacon, eggs, cheese, nuts, salad, shakes.....

Any recommendations on the best tasting low carb shakes?  And any other suggestions to go on my shopping list?

DanielleH_RD
on 9/18/07 1:11 pm - CA
Pre op diets can very greatly depending on your physician. You have quite a list - is your doc putting you on low carb, high protein? Most people have a liquid diet pre-op. Clarifying the type of diet will probably help with the suggestions. Good luck! Danielle Halewijn RD eNutritioncare.com
heathermc57
on 9/18/07 1:18 pm - Warner Robins, GA
Yes, I am on a low carb, high protein diet until 2 days before my surgery....then I go to the clear liquids.  He says it's to shrink my liver.  Will the liquid only diet do the same?  Honestly one sounds just as bad as the other.... Thanks, Heather
Robin W.
on 9/19/07 4:28 am - Fort Mill, SC
Hi Heather!  I want to start with a disclaimer in.  I thoroughly appreciate Melania, Sara, Jeanne and Danielle, our moderators from eNurtitioncare.com.  I value their training and knowledge and appreciate the time they take to share that with us. My input is only my experience, I am not trained in nutrition, etc.  However, I have low carbed for seven years.  I found that when I ate carbs ("good" or "bad") my blood pressure went thru the roof, but at even a higher weight, but avoiding carbs, my blood pressure was fine.  Once the federal government started requiring food manufacturers to put all carbs on the label and we ended up with the net carb concept, I found that *for me*, low net carbs made a difference. Weird, I know. But that's my multiple years experience. Anyhoo, I was on an 800-1000 cal diet for the two months prior to surgery, in order to shrink my liver.  I've seen in posts that some surgeons do the two week liquid and others do another type (lo carb, lo cal, etc.)    It does help to watch and track your fat and total calories too, as well as protein and water intake.  My pre-op diet, I aimed for a 60-100g of protein, 100 oz water, less than 40 g fat, and 800-1000 cal per day.  If you read labels you'll find a lot of stuff you can eat.  I tried a lot of recipes that were recommended post op, too, (like ricotta cheese with spaghetti sauce and mozzarella heated in the microwave).  You might want to check the recipe and cooking boards on here.  The basic guideline is to avoid sugar and flours.  I did a lot with ground turkey, too.  Oh, and if you have a Trader Joe's close by, they have a bunch of stuff, including buffalo burgers that are high in protein for the calories.   Don't forget seafood, fish, etc. Peanut butter, no sugar types.  Keep an eye out for no sugar jams and jellies, syrups, etc.  If you're like me,  you'll find that these weeks help you prep big time for post op. If I can answer any questions, feel free to post or pm me. Good luck!     Robin
Hi 423, Start 396, Surgery day 356, Current 238, Goal 135

Health and beauty in a whole new way! - RWeber1.qhealthbeauty.com
MelaniaB_RD
on 9/21/07 2:40 pm - Costa Mesa, CA

Robin, This is in response to your experience with carbs and blood pressure and I need to dispel this myth.  This may be your personal experience but blood pressure is positively affected by complex carbohydrates. Take the DASH (Dietary Approached to Stop Hypertension) Diet for example, which promotes whole grain breads & cereals, fruits & vegetables and lowfat dairy products.  All of these items are complex carbohydrates which have been shown to lower blood pressure when combined with exercise, a lower sodium intake, higher potassium intake and weight management.  In terms of the term 'net carbs', this is NOT a legal term and has no formal definition from the FDA.  Instead, this is a term invented by food manufacturers to sell their products.  I posted a response explaining 'net carbs' a few days ago.   Thanks!

Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Robin W.
on 9/22/07 10:29 am - Fort Mill, SC
Melania, Thanks for your response.   I specifically said this was my experience only.  But, it is not a myth for me.  My PCP who has followed me for decades, has seen it too.  For me, carbs raise my blood pressure, that's a fact.   You say,  "All of these items are complex carbohydrates which have been shower to lower blood pressure when combined with exercise, a lower sodium intake, higher potassium intake and weight management."  Lowering sodium intake is a long known treatment to reduce blood pressure by itself.  Since there are several variables involved, so it doesn't appear that someone can conclusively cite "good carbs" as positively lowering blood pressure.  At least not from that example.   Finally, please correct me if I am wrong, but I specifically remember when the carb numbers on labels changed several years ago.  That is because prior to the federal government requiring the change, food manufacturers only had to list carbs that would impact the blood stream very quickly and those that did not impact the blood stream or did so over a long period of time did not have to be included.  After the FDA required the change, everything had to be on the label, including fibers.  I understand and have never represented that net carbs has a legal or federally approved definition.  I know that it was the food manufacturers' way to help the consumers make the transition and understand the difference that they now saw on the food labels.  Net carbs are what used to be reported as carbs prior to the change.  If you understand it differently I'd really like to have that information.   The bottom line is that each person is different, and while there are general concepts and recommendations, each person needs to be their own best health advocate and aware of what is working and what is not for them. 

MelaniaB_RD
on 9/23/07 5:03 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Robin, Perhaps the term 'myth' was the wrong word, but anecdotal is the more accurate term which I would use to describe your experience with low carbs and blood pressure.  Yes everyone has a different experience, but I base my recommendations on actual clinical trials that involve very large numbers of people over many years, not on anecdotes of one or a few people.  And yes, lowering one's sodium intake MAY decrease blood pressure in some people, but it is the combination of factors as documented in the DASH clinical trial that lowered blood pressure and may help actually prevent and/or control hypertension.  The DASH diet also encourages a diet moderately high in lean protein, which is very different than high protein, low carbohydrate.  Anyone can read about this landmark study entitled the "Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension" (DASH) clinical study that was funded by the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) with additional support by several other units within the National Institutes of Health (NIH); it was originally published in the April 17, 1997 issue of The New England Journal of Medicine.  It can be accessed at http://www.nhlbi.gov.   If you or your PCP can forward peer-reviewed, published large scale clinical trials that show a low carbohydrate, high protein diet lowers blood pressure, I would welcome the read.  Until then, I stand by the facts of the DASH clinical trial and diet and will continue to recommend a higher complex carb diet in conjunction with the other DASH diet recs.   In terms of food labeling, the FDA basically tried to even the playing field for many different nutrients including carb, fiber, sugar, fat, sat fat etc. so that consumer could actually compare apples to apples.  Manufacturers try to showcase their products as being the healthiest or best (this is what everyone does to promote a product) but it must be true and accurate.  Therefore, now the macronutrients (carb, fat & protein) are further broken down as research continues to find links (not necessarily causes) to health.   Best of luck!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Robin W.
on 9/23/07 11:08 am - Fort Mill, SC
Hi Melania. Thanks for the info on the study.  I don't disagree with your position as a general stand.  I just know what my particular situation is and I know that no medical advice is true for 100% of people.  I totally agree that my experience is anecdotal.  Please don't misunderstand, I have never tried to represent that my situation is true for a large portion of the population, merely that I know one person for whom it is ture (namely, me) and so we can't say that the DASH diet along with other factors are true for 100% of people.  (I'm a lawyer, so details in words make a difference to me.)  I totally understand you recommending a higher complex carb diet in conjunction with the other factors.  Medicine should always start with the most likely avenue of change first.   I tried to use the link, but it didn't work.  I did access the info by going to the National Institutes of Health website and link to the NHLBI from there.  http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/  Thanks Robin

ECUMindy
on 9/19/07 5:19 am - Winterville, NC
Hey! I'm on the pre-op, low carb-high protein diet also. I started about a week ago and I'll be honest to say I've had my 'ups and downs' throughout the week. We are supposed to stay under 40 carbs per day up to surgery-- like you to "shrink" the liver... I have found that I'm eating a lot of eggs (breakfast and lunch), low-fat bacon, lots of cheese (all kinds-- fat free shredded, slice and string cheese). I also am eating a serving of nuts a day. My protein shakes (so far) consist of Vanilla ISOPURE (you can get it at the local vitamin--GNC type store). It is expensive, but dissolves well and tastes OK.  I mix two scoops of protein powder (ISOPURE) with a cup or two of low-carb (Calorie Countdown by hood) milk (only 3 grams Carbs in a cup) with a little chocolate free syrup and it makes a great chocolate shake.  I usually get two shakes out of the mix and it's 50 grams of protein.  It fills me up if I'm hungry and want to eat carbs. I'd love to chat with you about this diet. If you want to, PM me your email and we'll share stories!  Good luck with your pre-op and upcoming surgery! --Melinda
Larissa P.
on 9/21/07 6:52 am - Denton, TX
For anyone not worried about restricting fat, using low-fat products is counter-productive. Fat takes a long time and a lot of energry to digest, and combined with protein, keep your blood sugar stable and hunger pangs away more effectively as you are going through those carb withdrawls!
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
Most Active