Drinking and Eating Together....How do YOU see it???

Big Loser
on 9/19/07 4:02 am - AL
Hi there Gang! OK, ever since our surgeries, we were told of the evils of eating and drinking together, and all of the associated reasons why we shouldn't do it.  And in retrospect, all of those reasons that were given to us really do make good sense.  However, since I am in the maintenance phase of my new life (got past my goal in early 2005), I have always been a little bit "loose" on this subject.  For example, when eating a piece of grilled chicken, if my mouth or throat got a bit too dry, I would take the TINIEST LITTLE SIP of water with lemon, just enough to "wet" things back to being comfortable.  I always differentiated this from actually drinking mouthfuls of liquid with a meal. Now, all over the internet, more and more studies are being done with post RNY folks who eat & drink together.  And now, people are being told to avoid the following foods as POOR choices: Soups and Sauces Stews Cereal & Milk Heck, this list goes on and on, so I won't bore you with it now.  What I will say is that this got me thinking, as I was sitting here actually enjoying my lunch.  Today, I was having a frozen Smart Ones entree - the Turkey Medallions with Green Beans.  This is a great frozen meal, the portion is just right, there is 18 grams of protein, and 9 carbs (from the green beans), all packed into 200 delicious, nutritious calories.  The snafu?  The fact that the turkey is covered in low-fat mushroom gravy, and the green beans are in a very light (but liquidy) sauce.  As delicious as this meal is, how would you consider it? Do you think that foods (proteins) when served with gravy is similar to eating and drinking?  How about the green beans?  Now, again, I am not as much of a stickler on this issue, since I am still well below goal, and actually trying to gain a bit of weight.  But some folks would be shaking their fingers at me and telling me that this was "not compliant".  How do you feel? My main reason for asking this, is quite simply that I am truly interested in what other people feel and think about this issue.  I already know where I stand - but I think it is an interesting topic. For example - HEAVEN FORBID, I actually ENJOY having 1 cup of Hi-Lo Soy Protein Cereal covered in 1 cup of Chocolate Low-Fat Soy Milk.  Amazing protein, super low carb - but yes, VERY liquidy.  Am I "breaking the law" so to speak? I am sure there will be a variety of opinions on this topic.  And, of course, I think a lot of it also has to do with what particular stage of the surgery/journey that you are on.  I think that someone who is at goal and on maintenance will handle this a lot differently than someone who is still in their losing stages and is trying to get closer to their goals. So, there you have it!  What do YOU think about this, and how do YOU define "eating and drinking"..... Have a great day, everyone! - Mike --------------------------- Starting Weight: 408 Original Goal: 220 Current Weight: 158 Life is GOOD! ---------------------------
250 Pounds Gone Forever!
BODYBUILDING - Nature's Anti-Aging Remedy!
See My Photo Gallery: http://www.bodyforlifestyle.com/mikesbodyforlife
JeanneB_RD
on 9/19/07 6:02 am
Hi Mike, I agree with you 100%. I think the major impact re: fluids and foods is where one is post-op.  I think you are just fine w/ your Smart Ones entree w/ the gravy. The whole concept behind NOT having fluids and foods together is stomach space and to prevent dumping syndrome (if you're consuming a high carb fluid).  I think it's always wise no matter where you are in your journey to take small sips and avoid large quantities of fluids at one time.  Good luck and congrats on your loss!! Jeanne Barnett, RD  Enutritioncare.com
sarard
on 9/19/07 2:02 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Hey Mike, I have to agree with Jeanne. Eating and drinking together is more for the immediate post-ops (< 1 year out). Eating and drinking together is believed to cause dumping syndrome (although I have not had one patient complain of this in my 5 years of practice). I, however, tell my patients not to eat and drink together simply because the pouch is so small. I don't want new post-opers to fill their pouch with liquid - they need room for the food! Plus, it can become comfortable for some to just drink meals, and not actually eat much solid. This can cause a problem -- potential for strictures --- if you don't challenge the new connection of the pouch to the intestine, it can stricture. I don't consider gravy to be liquid. I consider "things you put in a cup" or "drink with a straw" to be liquid. ** So, there is my two cents --- BUT, as always, LISTEN TO YOUR SURGEON - FOLLOW HIS OR HER RULES!! ** Keep in mind, I am liberal dietitian (I'm not using this in the political sense, although I am politically liberal too), so I allow my patients a lot more freedom with food than most surgeons. Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE eNutritionCare.com
Amy Williams
on 9/20/07 3:47 am
Hi Mike, They say that if you drink with your meals it can cause the food to not stay in the pouch a long the further out you get.  I've noticed that when I do drink something the full feeling does not stay with me as long as not drinking as much or not at all.  Since my surgery I've felt like you about something being too dry and have to drink something with it.  Other wise it kind of sits in the pouch and can sometimes be uncomfortable.  You are also right about being newly post-op.  They want you to get in your protein first.  If you are drinking with your small "meal" then you are less likely to get the food and energy needed to sustain, unless of course it is a protein drink.. lol I drink with my meals most all of the time and been maintaining for about 6 months.

I've lost over 400 pounds!  
I love helping others, if you have a question just ask!  

Click on a link to read more about my journey:  
My website   My reconstructive photos 

Most Active