VEGETARIAN VITAMINS???

JACKIESMOM
on 9/27/07 12:57 pm - FL
I AM A VEGETARIAN AND WANT TO KNOW IF THE VITAMINS THAT ARE NEEDED ARE ANIMAL PROTIEN BASED? IS THERE A SPECIAL VITAMIN I SHOULD GET?? THANK YOU !!!!!

sarard
on 9/27/07 1:16 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
VITAMINS likely will not be animal protein based - or any kind of protein based for that matter. Your protein shakes, on the other hand, likely will be. Whey is bi-product of milk, so it does come from cows. Look for a soy protein shake.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
JACKIESMOM
on 9/27/07 11:44 pm - FL
THANK YOU. I DO EAT SOME DAIRY,SO THATS OK BUT I SHOULD TRY THE SOY ANYWAY. HOW LONG DO YOU NEED TO BE ON THE PROTIEN SHAKES AND PROTIEN POWDERS?
sarard
on 9/28/07 2:17 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Usually for the first year. Some get away with 9 months, but I always recommend 1 year to be on the safe side. Double check with your surgeon - he or she may have a different recommendation for you.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Veg_nRN
on 11/15/07 8:11 pm - Glen Burnie, MD
Depending on how strict you are, for example vegans don't use gelatin which is in most pills, you may just get store bought vitamins.  If you want vegan vitamins, I get mine from www.veganessentials.com they have some good, cheap, chewables too (my MD requires chewables).  I think the brand name is Freeda or Freida?  They are like $10 for almost a month's supply, they also have chewable calcium which my MD requires as well.  Good Luck! ~Bonnie
JACKIESMOM
on 11/16/07 12:28 am - FL
thank you. i will check them out.

KrisW
on 1/3/08 11:11 pm - Haymarket, VA
Amazon offers a line of vegan vitamins.  Whole Foods and Vitamin Shoppe are other potential sources.  I don't recall if they have chewables because I'm almost 4 years out, but I would be surprised if they didn't.  The ones I got have no animal products.

Kris
Most Active